Sign in to follow this  
ca

Team for the Derby game?

So what are people''s thoughts about how we should set up on Sat?

Do we go back to one upfront and have Wes back in the team just behind the striker, if so would you drop Jerome or Hoops?

Do we play with two wide men with Redmond starting, if so who are you going to play in midfield?

Presume we will stick with the back 4 who had a clean sheet against Huddersfield, though Whittaker for me is still the weak link

So what''s your thoughts, which 11 would be on your team sheet on Saturday morning and what formation would you start with?

Same starting lineup again, for me. Obviously with other players being introduced as the game goes on.4-4-2 with Redmond in could be a bit too gung ho, if we want to accomodate Redmond then it has to be as part of a five man midfield, which would necessitate dropping a striker, which unfortunately would be likely to be Hooper.No point in changing a back four that has kept two clean sheets on the bounce.

Damn, why do I always think of something after I hit "post"?Hoolahan would be part of the five man midfield, despite some reservations as to how he fits into formations, he does hold the ball well.

Surely Redmond has to be included from the start?

With the set up that started i feel it lets teams come on to us, gotta have some pace mas an outlet.

But thats only my opinion :-)

what about a christmas tree formation (remember that ?) - nice and seasonalor maybe just a 1 - 10 formation1 in goal and 10 outfield players moving about as the game requires... as did Olsson to cross the ball for Redmond to head inneither of whom were in their ''proper places''or perhaps that is how real football is played, as opposed to table football which some imagine it is

I disliked the formation when i first saw it, but that could have just been my Adams angst, but i also feel we should stick with the 4-4-2 of the last two games. A solid, no frills line up may be what is needed.

And here comes City1st with his "formations are some made up mambo jambo" bollocks.

If only professional football was as simple as picking 11 random players and saying ''go win the game lads''.

4411 for me.  Hooper in his comments after Saturday said how he and Jerome were alternating dropping back to make sure there was some connection to midfield, so either as Saturday, or for a bit more creativity, Redmond instead of Jerome.  Wes could do the role, but Redmond is more likely imo to get a goal than Wes. 

I think a repeat of the Wigan lineup is on the cards with Hoolahan, Murphy and Redmond on the bench. But this is probably the sort of game to play one up front and five in midfield.

i reckon we should go 1-2-1-2-1-2-1 a sweeper playing behind 2 central defenders protected by a holding midfield player 2 central midfielders protected by another defensive midfielder and then 2 more central midfielders with 1 up front, also to accomodate this we need to make the pitch as narrow as the rules will allow, OTBC

[quote user="im spartacus"]i reckon we should go 1-2-1-2-1-2-1 a sweeper playing behind 2 central defenders protected by a holding midfield player 2 central midfielders protected by another defensive midfielder and then 2 more central midfielders with 1 up front, also to accomodate this we need to make the pitch as narrow as the rules will allow, OTBC[/quote]

the problem is they never stay in positionfor all this terminally dim bleating about a 3241 2143 formation I have never seen a game where you could freeze the play and they are all in those placesperhaps some folk confuse real football with table football(they don''t even start the game in those supposed formations)

Seems reading twitter and the various Norwich forums that most people think he''ll start with last weeks team, though I''m not sure he''ll start with 2 upfront away from home, especially against Derby

If posters don''t like talking about formations maybe a football forum isn''t the right place for them.

I''d go for the side that started the second half, Howson is far more effective in the centre and Redmond is a handful and changed the game... Don''t change a winning side? Well it was the second half team that did the damage, MOM performances force your way into a mangers plans and I thing Remond will have done just that. I also think alternating both Hooper and Jermoe in that supporting role will help bulk up the midfield with Tetty able to move in front of the back 4 to bulk up the defence.

I''d try and score first and then swap Redmond for Oneil and then one of the strikers for Wes to snatch it.... Good old fashioned smash and grab!

RuddyMartin         Turner         Cuellar        Olsson                   Johnson        HowsonRedmond                                           Murphy                    Hooper          JeromeSubs - Rudd, Whitaker, Lafferty, Tettey, O''Neil, Grabban, Hoolahan

I really don''t want to see the 4-4-2 with both Johnson and O''Neill as our starting line-up again. I really feel that would be a massive mistake. Derby are weak if you get at them. They have a lot of midfielders who are good going forward but they don;t have a string DM and their defence is not the best if put under pressure. We need to give them something to worry about and some pace to stop their full backs pushing up.

I really feel the starting line up from the last two games is not a good one for us. Whilst it might make us more solid the reality is Wigan were dreadful and the first half against Huddersfield was also pretty poor. It does not really work because we have no pace and no outlet down the wings.

If we stick to 4-4-2 then its the second half team from Saturday for me. Johnson played very well and does not deserve to be dropped and Redmond''s inclusion gives us an extra dimension. I personally like 4-2-3-1 which could see Wes brought in as well but hard to see him dropping either of Jerome or Hooper at the moment.

I think we''ll see something like this:
                      Ruddy 
Whittaker Martin Cuellar Olsson
Redmond Howson Tettey Johnson
                 Hooper Jerome
A very lopsided 4-4-2 formation, with Johnson tucking in to become the 3rd midfielder and Olsson overlapping regularly. 

If only we didn''t have formations!

Neuer in net then:

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Pogba, Bale, Hazard, Aguero, Di Maria, Neymar, Robben outfield. That''ll win right?

With the players we have coming back i''m not sure what is best to do tbh! I think Bennett is potentially our best CB but I won''t change a defence after 2 clean sheets.

So Midfield. I''d start Redmond and keep Wes on the bench again and go with a solid three of Howson, Johnson and Tettey behind Redmond in a free role and Jerome and Hooper up top.

Derby have been playing 4-5-1 a lot, with Martin the lone striker. Their strength is in midfield, technically they are superior to us and if they play a 5 and we play 4 we will lose the game there. I think pace and width will be the key and Redmond is ideal. Personally I would go 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 with Wes at the centre of the 3. It''s harsh to drop Hooper but I don''t see how we can play 2 strikers unless we go 3 at the back and that could be suicidal.

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Cuellar Ollson

Johnson Tetty

Redmond Wes Howson

Jerome

[quote user="General Melchett"]Derby have been playing 4-5-1 a lot, with Martin the lone striker. Their strength is in midfield, technically they are superior to us and if they play a 5 and we play 4 we will lose the game there. I think pace and width will be the key and Redmond is ideal. Personally I would go 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 with Wes at the centre of the 3. It''s harsh to drop Hooper but I don''t see how we can play 2 strikers unless we go 3 at the back and that could be suicidal.

Ruddy

Johnson Tetty

Redmond Wes Howson

Jerome[/quote]

You''ve left out ONeill but if you want a strong midfield he has to be in it for me.   Agree we shouldn''t go with two strikers, but we don''t need Wes and Redmond on at the same time at the start of matches.  This has given us problems in previous matches this season with too much emphasis up front before the game has been won, leaving too much space behind.  Win the midfield battle, get ahead then bring Wes on - as last Saturday.   I''s start with the second half team against Huddersfield, or for more midfield control, keep O''Neill on and let Redmond play the channels behind a striker.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="General Melchett"]Derby have been playing 4-5-1 a lot, with Martin the lone striker. Their strength is in midfield, technically they are superior to us and if they play a 5 and we play 4 we will lose the game there. I think pace and width will be the key and Redmond is ideal. Personally I would go 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 with Wes at the centre of the 3. It''s harsh to drop Hooper but I don''t see how we can play 2 strikers unless we go 3 at the back and that could be suicidal.

Ruddy

Johnson Tetty

Redmond Wes Howson

Jerome[/quote]

You''ve left out ONeill but if you want a strong midfield he has to be in it for me.   Agree we shouldn''t go with two strikers, but we don''t need Wes and Redmond on at the same time at the start of matches.  This has given us problems in previous matches this season with too much emphasis up front before the game has been won, leaving too much space behind.  Win the midfield battle, get ahead then bring Wes on - as last Saturday.   I''s start with the second half team against Huddersfield, or for more midfield control, keep O''Neill on and let Redmond play the channels behind a striker.

[/quote]

I think with ONeil in there as well we''re looking like a team playing for a draw. Ok Redmond and Wes are more attacking but you''ve taken out a striker, so to me it balances out. Don''t underestimate Wes'' work rate and the amount of times he will win the ball back - and yes he gives it away but only cos he''s trying to create all the time. Derby aren''t the biggest in midfield and Tetty and Bradders will boss it in the middle. Howson can also drop in and play more narrow to help them out. I don''t think ONeil gets in in front of any of our other midfielders right now and we were woeful first half against Huddersfield.

[quote user="General Melchett"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="General Melchett"]Derby have been playing 4-5-1 a lot, with Martin the lone striker. Their strength is in midfield, technically they are superior to us and if they play a 5 and we play 4 we will lose the game there. I think pace and width will be the key and Redmond is ideal. Personally I would go 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 with Wes at the centre of the 3. It''s harsh to drop Hooper but I don''t see how we can play 2 strikers unless we go 3 at the back and that could be suicidal.

Ruddy

Johnson Tetty

Redmond Wes Howson

Jerome[/quote]

[/quote]

I think with ONeil in there as well we''re looking like a team playing for a draw. Ok Redmond and Wes are more attacking but you''ve taken out a striker, so to me it balances out. Don''t underestimate Wes'' work rate and the amount of times he will win the ball back - and yes he gives it away but only cos he''s trying to create all the time. Derby aren''t the biggest in midfield and Tetty and Bradders will boss it in the middle. Howson can also drop in and play more narrow to help them out. I don''t think ONeil gets in in front of any of our other midfielders right now and we were woeful first half against Huddersfield.[/quote]Fair do''s Melchy, but I think we have to be really careful not to be too attacking too early and would rather save either Redmond or Wes to the second half.  Its a toss up really though, because earlier in the season we were overunning teams with Lafferty, Wes, Redmond and Grabban up front - but letting in goals as well.   Getting the balance right seems to be the key.

I think we will see the same starting line up as Saturday, including O''Neil and work hard on defending in the first half. Then see how it goes after that. This game is being built up as the big game to help influence peoples opinion about Adams! It''s just another away game in the course of a season, if we come away from this with a point it will be a good result.

Derby have lost four of their past nine league matches, all away, except Wigan, which was a home match for Derby.. Not sure how meaningful it is but the results and starting formations for those matches were:

Wigan                2-1  -  433    Derby  - 433

Brentford           2-1  -  451    Derby  - 433

Leeds                 2-0  -  442    Derby  - 433

Middlesbrough  2-0   - 442    Derby  - 433

As you can see, Derby consistently started with a 433 formation.

Would have packed 5 across midfield, 2 up top is the wrong move for me. I think we will lose the midfield battle in the 1st half but we shall see