Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

A heartfelt apology...

...on behalf of myself, the seven directors, and all those others who wanted Malky Mackay, the seemingly best-qualified of all the solidly experienced managers available in the summer, rather than the gamble of Adams. Mackay is currently racking up 0.2 points per game at Wigan, in contrast to Adams'' 1.54 ppg.

You''ve got nothing to apologise about Purple, completely different situations, hence why some managers work at some clubs and not others. He could''ve come here and done a better job, he could''ve come here and done what we''ve done this season.Strange really, Malky seems to suit Wigan so well on paper ;)

Mackay has only just walked into a stuggling club, its too early yet to judge him there?

the real question is, "could he have done better with a stronger squad of players i.e ours, if he had the whole of pre-season and the season so far than our present manager has done?"

my suspicion is "yes"

could have.... should have... would have...

or if you prefer the alternative:

could of...should of... would of....

The essence of a football discussion board. There is rarely a right and a wrong just an opinion. Don''t take it all too seriously.

relax....

or if you prefer the alternative:

chillax

There you go. Not bad for a 93 year-old.

[quote user="Herman "]Chillax[+o(]One of the worst and most pointless words going.[/quote]yo, don''t be so square daddioget with that hip new jive

if it is written on the side of the barn then bleat it out,  show you don''t have an independant mind

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]...on behalf of myself, the seven directors, and all those others who wanted Malky Mackay, the seemingly best-qualified of all the solidly experienced managers available in the summer, rather than the gamble of Adams. Mackay is currently racking up 0.2 points per game at Wigan, in contrast to Adams'' 1.54 ppg.[/quote]I don''t think it''s as black and white as that.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Is that you getting angry at words herman?[/quote]

I''m like one of those tramps you see shouting at bins. Angry and shouty for absolutely no reason. Too much salt in my diet??[:D]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]You''ve got nothing to apologise about Purple, completely different situations, hence why some managers work at some clubs and not others. He could''ve come here and done a better job, he could''ve come here and done what we''ve done this season.Strange really, Malky seems to suit Wigan so well on paper ;)[/quote]Absolutely. Not only that but if Rosler had been available in the summer I would have advocated him ahead of Mackay. The general point is that we get to pick from that tier of managers where every choice is to a greater or lesser extent a gamble. Bolton, unlike the nine Championship clubs who changed managers in the summer and looked elsewhere, have now taken a gamble on Lennon, and so far that is going well, at 1.81 points per game. Which may or may not last.

Herman wrote the following post at 21/12/2014 11:55 AM:

I''m like one of those tramps you see shouting at bins. Angry and shouty for absolutely no reason. Too much salt in my diet??

-----------------------

Sounds like myself whilst watching adverts on TV (the latest one being the sainsbury''s chocolate ad where they use the WW1 to promote sharing chocolate)...yes i feel old :)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

Sounds like myself whilst watching adverts on TV (the latest one being the sainsbury''s chocolate ad where they use the WW1 to promote sharing chocolate)...yes i feel old :)[/quote]I didn''t share my chocolate in the trenches, I swapped it for woodbines, much more soothing. [:)]

Mackay was perhaps the best qualified to play shoddy football in an attempt to grind out wins, his ''success'' being at a well-financed Cardiff side. Rosler didn''t work out at Wigan but his attempts to play quality football were at least in keeping with the Martinez era after Owen Coyle''s hatchet job. If Wigan continue to dismantle Martinez''s work then it''s a safe bet that they''ll get nowhere near their previous levels of success given that most of the competition are similarly poor in quality.Rosler would have been a good shout as Norwich manager but we''ve instead chosen to continue down the well-trodden low quality route and hence end up going nowhere. It''s these types of managers that are committed to quality, who are perhaps harshly sacked by short-sighted clubs hungry for instant success, that Norwich ought to go for instead of fallen dinosaurs like Mackay. When appointing managers we ought to look at the football rather than exclusively relying on the form book.

"low quality route".......?

So where does that put Mike Phelan, ex Man U assistant for how many years?
And what about that McCarthy bloke at his own Club. Was he considered quality when appointed or just another Hoofball man. Perhaps I''ll ask him in his next thread.

Two clubs in completely different situations.

Mackay has not even had 10 games or a transfer window in which to spend whatever minimal funds he has available.

Adams still doesn''t have one of the best squads in the division in the Top 6, this after high levels of summer spending.

Time will tell of course, but far too early to judge.

Personally, I don''t give a fig for the claims of a Phelan effect. We have a management/coaching team and it is the team''s performance that counts. Phelan was responsible for the first team coaching of one of the world''s biggest and best performing club''s so it should be no surprise if he has a positive effect on the training field. However Adams is responsible for recognising that there was an issue with the coaching and taking steps to correct it. Together with the other coaches they have brought about a 2.33 points per game turnaround albeit over a short 3 game period.

I am looking forward to a positive Christmas and going into the New Year with confidence.