Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Esquire

The Secret Footballer

I''ve been reading ''The Secret Footballer'' this past week - worth a read if you A) like reading B) Like football and C) Can be bothered.

My point of this post is that in ''The Secret Footballer'', there is section about media and player exposure. In short - players that are seeking a transfer in the coming window will try to get their name mentioned in the media as much and by any means possible.

This theory has made me wonder whether, after the crowd getting on his back and the mismatch of brilliant and woeful performances, plus the being regularly in newspaper rumour columns and on Soccer AM etc whether John Ruddy is angling for a move back to the Premier League (or further a field).

I for one, wouldn''t be surprised if he ended up at Liverpool, it''s a big move in his career, he''s around peak age for a footballer and deserves one final big transfer. He''s obviously lived in Merseyside before and maybe wants out now the fickle fans (me included) keep getting on his back.

I like reading the secret footballer... always a decent read and very frank and honest. Its a player who only retired in the last few years, has played in all 4 divisions and for England...

I often wonder if it isn''t our very own Dion Dublin....

my moneys on Kevin Phillips though.

Having nearly made it to the end, I am 99% sure it''s Dave Kitson.

His mate at Chelsea is Steve Sidwell, his best mate who played international was Nicky Shorey.

It doesn''t actually say he played for England in the book.

His fall-out with the manager and record transfer move was the 5.5 million move to Stoke.

His first main club was Cambridge United.

His back to back player of the year awards were with Reading were he got them promoted.

I believe it''s Dave Kitson.

TSF isn''t Dion Dublin, race has ruled him out, and lack of music references in the book.

googled "who is the secret footballer" and theres some good debate as to who it is...

clearly not Dublin now,

there''s some evidence to it NOT being Kitson as well... although I''d bet it is him ahead of some of the other candidates on the site after having a read.

What is the evidence that he is not The Secret Footballer?

Also, surely if you wants to remain ''Secret'' he''s going to put the odd ''curve-ball'' or ''red herring'' in there, otherwise it would just be an autobiography...

in fact.. the majority of the evidence points towards it being Nicky shorey... Curve ball being everyone thinks its his team mate Kitson!

http://www.whoisthesecretfootballer.co.uk/nicky-shorey/