Sign in to follow this  
fkalinx

Chris Hughton

Hi Canaries

Brighton fan in peace here.

First off, I have always had soft spot your club and look out for your results. Great fan base, friendly atmosphere and great day out.

As you may have heard, looks like Chris h might get the top job at Bha. I was wondering what you all think of him as manager. Is tactically astute, does he have plan b, what is his style of play, has he a good eye for a player and can he man manage?

He obv did good things for you but then left acrimoniously.

Any thoughts would he much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

This probably won''t end well, as you say, our parting wasn''t exactly good.Its kinda hard to be completely objective obviously!Based purely on his time here I would put him as slightly tactically limited, and I was never really sure if he had a plan B! Style of play was maybe on the negative side, but he did seem to be okay at the man managing.That said, he was managing in the Premier league, and he has done well in the Championship previously. And he did have to step into the shoes of one Mr Lambert, which were big shoes to fill.Would I have him back? No. Would I give him the benefit of the doubt and think he could do well at a Championship club? Maybe.What other names are in the frame?

[quote user="fkalinx"]Hi Canaries

Brighton fan in peace here.

First off, I have always had soft spot your club and look out for your results. Great fan base, friendly atmosphere and great day out.

As you may have heard, looks like Chris h might get the top job at Bha. I was wondering what you all think of him as manager. Is tactically astute, does he have plan b, what is his style of play, has he a good eye for a player and can he man manage?

He obv did good things for you but then left acrimoniously.

Any thoughts would he much appreciated.

Merry Christmas![/quote]This should test a few of our posters in what is supposed to be a season of goodwill to all men!Seriously, his record in the Championship in favourable circumstances with Newcastle and in very difficult circumstances with Birmingham is good.With us in the Premier League he had a very rigid - and essentially defensive - tactical approach, There is an argument, which I don''t entirely buy, that he settled on this because he thought it suited what he regarded as a limited squad. What is undeniable is that he didn''t have a Plan B (especially away from home) when one was called for. And this lack of flexibility cost us crucial points.Whether this is ingrained in him, or whether he would be prepared to be more adventurous in the Championship is a question. If I was your owner I would look at Rosler, who strikes me as perhaps more of a gamble but with greater potential, ahead of Hughton.

I think a lot of Norwich fans underestimate the good job he did in his first season with us. We''ll probably never know the exact reasons Lambert left us but there is a strong argument he felt he could take us no further and would have really struggled had he stayed another season. Hughton focused on defence and, in Holt, had a leader that was a major factor in getting us over the line, and in a defensive minded team, did amazingly well to score 8 goals that season.

The problem was the second season saw no real improvement in an attacking sense while keeping the defence the same. We lost Holt the leader and goal scorer and our forward signings either had too little PL experience and presence (RVW), struggled to put a run of games together (Hooper, and again, RVW) or were simply not good enough for the PL and were a panic buy when other options failed (becchio). With scoring goals the obvious (and admitted) area needing improvement, gambling on a completely new strike force didn''t work, particularly with our style of play established from the previous season not suiting the new recruits.

No plan B was the biggest issue IMO and he continually failed to learn from mistakes. We''re seeing in the championship that a more solid back line is essential and with generally weaker defences, chances will come to score. Because of this I believe he would be a good championship manager and would steady the ship at Brighton or other struggling clubs. He does know how to organise teams and make them disciplined but needs to adapt and learn as he goes to get the best out of his squad.

He is a man who can have a tremendous impact.

Almost over night he transformed the 8th highest scorers in the Premiership who played vibrant, confident and effective football on a shoe string into a side who sometimes never recorded a shot on goal and played with unnecessary caution, hesitation and pessimism.

We lost to Luton AT HOME in the FA Cup under him and, despite spending more money than ANY previous boss, we inevitably fell back to the second tier without even a whimper.

The only people more culpable for our nose dive in form and fortunes are our board of directors ... Simply because they didn''t fire him until it was far far far too late.

Good luck with him ... You''ll need it.

[quote user="morty"]This probably won''t end well, as you say, our parting wasn''t exactly good.Its kinda hard to be completely objectiveobviously!Based purely on his time here I would put him as slightly tactically limited, and I was never really sure if he had a plan B! Style of play was maybe on the negative side, but he did seem to be okay at the man managing.That said, he was managing in the Premier league, and he has done well in the Championship previously. And he did have to step into the shoes of one Mr Lambert, which were big shoes to fill.Would I have him back? No. Would I give him the benefit of the doubt and think he could do well at a Championship club? Maybe.What other names are in the frame?[/quote]

Very much this. He relied on luck for his goals but he can get you organised well enough. If you have a decent, strong striker you will be fine.

Pole barge him wouldn''t a touch with.

Or words to that effect.

Hope your not an ambitious lot!

Still the good thing is there will soon be plenty of tickets available for you guys to go and watch your team.

Thank you very much chaps - I''ll share this with northstandchat.

So defensively minded with little plan b! Although I am sure he could keep us up and get us a promotion with the right firepower up top. We''ve hot baldock who should score in championship buthas failed to deliver so far.

I like the look of rosler too.

[quote user="fkalinx"]Thank you very much chaps - I''ll share this with northstandchat.

So defensively minded with little plan b! Although I am sure he could keep us up and get us a promotion with the right firepower up top. We''ve hot baldock who should score in championship buthas failed to deliver so far.

I like the look of rosler too.[/quote]

I really don''t think he''s as bad as we made him out to be when he was sacked here. His biggest failings were his signings! Yes, the playing style was very negative and it was the worst approach to football I have ever had the misfortune of seeing any team play and you could argue this was to compensate for our lack of quality.

But he signed the players, he had 3 windows with a decent budget in each one but was hell bent on signing mercenaries with poor personalities that wouldn''t fit into our rigid tactical structure! He''s a good man manager evidently and has proven himself at this level and I think he''d be a decent (if a bit safe) aquisition for any most Championship teams.

Just keep him on a tight leash, don''t let him run the club all himself as he''s utterly clueless at it! Under a good DOF who can manage the clubs approach overall to leave Hughton to just coaching, managing the players and picking the team and he should do well!

He is probably a good choice for the position you are in, he will get the team organised and organised the defense.

He is a thoroughly nice bloke who will not play open attacking football but he does have it in him to get a run of games going.

We moved too far from attack into a purely defensive team but the way it is going you look unlikely to get out out of the predicament you are in by playing open football so he looks a reasonable choice.

He tried to instill a consistent technical approach into a group of players who were used to a "wind em up and get them  on the pitch" approach.  It was like watching a transformation that never really happened because the players that we had weren''t able to play like that.  It worked for a while but once that bubble burst the players couldn''t get it back.  It was plainly going to take longer to transform the club and more new players.  The trouble was that the players we got in weren''t enough to develop things to the extent necessary and our problems in midfield were the same throughout Hughton''s reign apart from Fer, who wasn''t capable enough on his own and needed better players around him. The strikers were starved of chances as a result and got frustrated and lost confidence.

With the right players Hughton will do well - but that is the key - getting the right players.  The project at Norwich for me was a three year one and it stalled and never got going again, so it was inevitable he would go.   He remains a good prospect though imo and  if you have a core of players that will buy in to the methods (and when it works it they are very good)  he will do well. His methods are not just defensive, as many people simplistically say, but on a balanced approach throughout the team.  Our midfield couldn''t cope with that well enough fot the premiership and we never really got it right. I would wish him better luck in his next job and think he will surprise a few people, as his history with everyone except us is to have an effective free scoring team.  It was an awful eighteen months at Norwich - even when we finished 11th there was quite a lot of noise from some fans for him to be replaced - negativity that was insipid and spread throughout the club.  Even players commented on it and couldn''t understand it. 

Good luck if you get him. It will make the return match at Brighton an interesting one for us.......

I do not view Chris Hughton favourably as a manager. I have to say he helped kill my interest in football and Norwich whilst he was manager. He had us playing such a dull style of football it was a chore to watch. Football is supposed to be entertaining. I''d rather watch an end to end classic which we narrowly lost than a mind numbing 1-0 defeat in which we defended astutely but did next to nothing in the attacking sense. And that is why I will never support Hughton.

If Brighton do appoint him, get ready for some very dull matches.

From a professionalism and media aspect, I''ve got nothing but damn good things to say about Hughton, it''s when you look at the football and management aspect that it all falls to s**t...Managed to ruin the scoring ability of every single one of our strikers (despite many of them having EXCELLENT scoring records before his appointment), took the passion and never say die attitude instilled by Lambert and replaced it with dour, defensive minded dross that wasn''t even that good defensively, not to mention alienating or ostracising some of our better players in the process, whilst getting us relegated.Frankly, I wouldn''t trust Hughton to lead a seagull to the coast, never mind manage a football team, I think his previous results with Newcastle were down to them having far and away the best team in the Championship at the time, and whilst he did OK a Birmingham, you still never heard reports about exciting attacking football, it was all about lumping it forward to the likes of Zigic etc.Hughton would actually be a very sensible choice as an assistant manager as he does carry himself well, but the top job is beyond him.I''d hope that you get someone like Rosler or a continental appointment in rather than seeing Hughton in charge of a team again!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]From a professionalism and media aspect, I''ve got nothing but damn good things to say about Hughton, it''s when you look at the football and management aspect that it all falls to s**t...

Managed to ruin the scoring ability of every single one of our strikers (despite many of them having EXCELLENT scoring records before his appointment), took the passion and never say die attitude instilled by Lambert and replaced it with dour, defensive minded dross that wasn''t even that good defensively, not to mention alienating or ostracising some of our better players in the process, whilst getting us relegated.

Frankly, I wouldn''t trust Hughton to lead a seagull to the coast, never mind manage a football team, I think his previous results with Newcastle were down to them having far and away the best team in the Championship at the time, and whilst he did OK a Birmingham, you still never heard reports about exciting attacking football, it was all about lumping it forward to the likes of Zigic etc.

Hughton would actually be a very sensible choice as an assistant manager as he does carry himself well, but the top job is beyond him.

I''d hope that you get someone like Rosler or a continental appointment in rather than seeing Hughton in charge of a team again!
[/quote]

I would but, as the poor bird followed his leader who only knew how to use a rowboat, the gull knew that when he arrived at the coast his wings would have no more flap, his once sharp eyes would be covered with a murky haze and it''s body would roll from side to side with no forward momentum. However , the one thing that demoralized the seagull above all else is that, even upon arrival, he knew his leader would tell him, "You''ll never be an eagle."