Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

BJ is my favourite player

I know some people don''t necessarily rate BJ, but as chalk and cheese as he appears to be amongst us all on here, he is probably one of my favourite players of recent times. I really believe NA when he says Prem clubs came calling for him in the summer.

Has he scored 6 now? Or is it more? I think having him the championship is key to us pushing on and its nice having a midfielder who you know can score more than 1 or 2 a season.

Great result, happy weekend and Christmas folks!

When he is the playmaker he sometimes gets caught out so at the moment in the middle I prefer Tetty and o''neil who move the ball better.

BJ is dynamic and when he has less time to think about it a good striker of the ball.

So having him in a position where he has some space and can break into the box has proven how effective he can be.

My mate who is a Leeds fan said when they sold him to us Leeds fans were well upset and we got a bargain.A bargain we got I rated him from day one OTBC

He isn''t the best technically aylt times but he''s always given us 100% and is capable of hurting teams. At championship level especially, he is a key player for us. Him down the left seems to have brought a nice balance to our side as well. A lot of teams (especially with an attacking right winger) struggle to decide what to do down the left and do silly things like Holt or heskey down the left but Johnno is perfect fut when Olsson is behind him to add energy. Don''t forget he is left footed as well.

Can''t pass for toffee.A common theme amongst BJs lesser admirers but actually not true. He has a very good eye for a pass - OK like all players some will go astray but not anywhere near as this comment suggests.  His displays on the left of midfield have been the key for me in recent performances, and at this moment in time, his name would be the first on the team sheet for me!

But those lesser admirers are conspicuous by their absence. As are the lesser admirers of Whitaker at full back and Martin at centre back. It helps that Phelan actually rates these players too. Unless of course Adams is still pulling the strings...

I''m chuffed for Bradley. Really chuffed. He turned down offers to leave in the summer and has worn our shirt with pride ever since he signed.

quote Hucks6 My mate who is a Leeds fan said when they sold him to us Leeds fans were well upset and we got a bargain.A bargain we got I rated him from day one OTBC

Your Leeds fan was right we got a bargin as they didn''t sell him to us we picked him up on a free transfer when his contract ran out

[quote user="Fromage Frais"]When he is the playmaker he sometimes gets caught out so at the moment in the middle I prefer Tetty and o''neil who move the ball better.

BJ is dynamic and when he has less time to think about it a good striker of the ball.

So having him in a position where he has some space and can break into the box has proven how effective he can be.[/quote]O''Neil is a good passer of the ball. But when you say he and Tetley keep the ball moving I''d have to say that the latter does not posses the range of passing that O''Neil or Johnson have.I''ve argued this before. Tettey has been brilliant this season, but for me, he is more like Gary Holt in terms of his role, he''s a ball winner, and keeps his own passing simple. He has improved, in my eyes, upon previous seasons but I still think he lacks the full range seen by the other two. But that''s not his game if you ask me.That said, at the moment the midfield is working really well. Johnson has played left midfield before, for Leeds, and not just as cover. So it didn''t overly surprise me to see him there.Long may it continue.

I have said it before and I will say it again (and have got in many arguments) but Johnson would be the first name on my team sheet every week. Whether that is wide left or the defensive midfield role, he has to play.

Gives natural balance on the left and gives a lot more than tettey in the centre.

My big problem with tettey is that his first instinct is to turn and go backwards. Johnson might misplace a pass but it is normally trying to go forward so causes less issues than when tettey gives it away in our own half.

Then there is the tackling, 3 or 4 times without thinking about it tettey just dangles a leg (the bale goal says it all). In the same situation johnson would clear them out and take the booking for the team.

[quote user="Barndoor"]

My big problem with tettey is that his first instinct is to turn and go backwards. Johnson might misplace a pass but it is normally trying to go forward so causes less issues than when tettey gives it away in our own half.

Then there is the tackling, 3 or 4 times without thinking about it tettey just dangles a leg (the bale goal says it all). In the same situation johnson would clear them out and take the booking for the team.[/quote]

Sorry, that is not true - certainly not this season. His passing has been good and in all directions.

As for Johnson against Bale, he wouldn''t even get close enough to him to stick a leg out in the first place.

I''ve said for years he''s probably our most underrated player.Absolute lynch-pin in the middle of the park. He''s a better passer than he gets credit for, is the best of our midfielders in the tackle, and as good going forward as any of them.Brilliant to watch when he''s in form, like recently.

I agree, BJ has a great range in passing, probably the best in the club since Fox...However, I admit, he does have off days.

His energy and tackling ability more than makes up for above suggested moments.

Plus, he was the only player to acknowledge my young lad once (as all the players walked past) and have a picture with him. :) (facK in rude cockneys* eh?) :)

If people would like to delve into stats, they do seem to back up everything that has been said here.

Johnson: Accuracy - 76% Percentage of passes going forwards - 92%

Tettey: Accuracy - 88% Percentage of passes going forwards - 73%

O''Neil: Accuracy - 81% Percentage of passes going forwards - 77%

Howson: Accuracy - 85% Percentage of passes going forwards - 76%

So yes, Johnson cannot pass for toffee, he has a horribly low accuracy percentage, however he does try to move the ball forwards far more often than other centre midfielders we have. I''d imagine the two stats have been boosted by his signature pass, chipping the ball out of play for a goal kick to the opposition.

Disclaimer: Before anyone starts frothing at the mouth about statistics. Don''t. Because I really couldn''t care less what you have to say.

[quote user="splutcho"] Before anyone starts frothing at the mouth about statistics. Don''t. Because I really couldn''t care less what you have to say.[/quote]

Yes but how much less don''t you care? Is it 100%, 110%, more, less? We should be told, context is important.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But those lesser admirers are conspicuous by their absence. As are the lesser admirers of Whitaker at full back and Martin at centre back. It helps that Phelan actually rates these players too. Unless of course Adams is still pulling the strings...

I''m chuffed for Bradley. Really chuffed. He turned down offers to leave in the summer and has worn our shirt with pride ever since he signed.

[/quote]This.Funny how once someone scores a few goals they are amazing, an opinion would have more credibility if it were expressed when he wasn''t so much in the limelight.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="splutcho"] Before anyone starts frothing at the mouth about statistics. Don''t. Because I really couldn''t care less what you have to say.[/quote]

Yes but how much less don''t you care? Is it 100%, 110%, more, less? We should be told, context is important.

[/quote]

Ha. Well played Sir.

I don''t think anyone''s ever doubted his ability to score goals. My main gripe is that he''s forever giving the ball away. I can''t comment on that yesterday because I didn''t watch the game.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But those lesser admirers are conspicuous by their absence. As are the lesser admirers of Whitaker at full back and Martin at centre back. It helps that Phelan actually rates these players too. Unless of course Adams is still pulling the strings...I''m chuffed for Bradley. Really chuffed. He turned down offers to leave in the summer and has worn our shirt with pride ever since he signed.[/quote]

This lesser admirer has already posted on this thread.  Bradley is doing well atm and long may ot continue, but like all players is not immune to criticism.   The same with Wes and anyone else who gives away the ball or generally has a bad game - and at his worst BJ is one of the biggest cuplprits of misplaced passes and his control can let him down at times.  But as long as we are winning, no problem.

Incredible how some games BJ plays like he has his boots on the wrong feet - and since Mike Phelan''s arrival he''s looking like Surman with strength and power. Diamonds under our feet?

PS: Against Millwall it seemed as though BJ was saying to Cameron Jerome "Look, this is how you bury an opportunity!"...

Johnson''s passing and often erratic shooting have been my biggest bugbears from day one with the guy.His work rate, commitment and desire are all first rate and when he''s on form he''s a very strong player in the centre to break up play (not fully convinced with him left but he''s done ok so far).I''ve always said though that if Johnson purely focused on what he''s good at (just like Tettey tends to do) we''d have a better team overall. Let the likes of Howson focus on those attacking forward balls, whilst Tettey and Johnson clear up behind and play simple balls to more technically gifted players.Really can''t fault the current form Johnson is on though, and whilst I do think in many ways he can be a weak link and somewhat wasteful, I still wouldn''t drop him at the minute.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Really can''t fault the current form Johnson is on though, and whilst I do think in many ways he can be a weak link and somewhat wasteful, I still wouldn''t drop him at the minute.[/quote]Damned with faint praise.[:(]For me, he would always be the first name on my teamsheet[Y].

Like i''ve said continuously since we''ve signed him he''s an integral part of our team and all the managers we''ve had have rated him to be a regular premier league player, as have the coaching staff etc etc or he wouldn''t have racked up the appearances he has.
Splutcho''s post is perhaps the most irrelevant of them all. Does Tettey ever try cross-field balls? Very rarely, but when he does they don''t tend to find the player.
Bradley Johnson is one of our only midfielders who tries to ping balls out to the wing. There''s nothing wrong with the limited passing of Tettey and co but it''s unfair to then criticise Johnsons success rate when he''s the one who tries to play the longer balls which enable us to break down the flanks.
A player who doesn''t hide, challenges well in tackles, is our best midfielder in the air and actually isn''t as bad a passer as people paint. Whenever he gets taken out of the team it''s certainly noticeable as we look incredibly weak in the centre of the park.
And LDC insinuating he''d like to see more of Lafferty - if it''s in this thread that suggests ahead of Johnson - which is nothing short of laughable. 
We''re very fortunate he turned down Premier League clubs to stay with us, he''ll be one of the more vital players in our promotion push. His six (?) goals are already testament to that.

[quote user="morty"]I have to say I am a massive fan of the BJ.
[/quote]

Is that why Bellend is one of your favourite expressions Morty ? [;)]

[quote user="hogesar"]
And LDC insinuating he''d like to see more of Lafferty - if it''s in this thread that suggests ahead of Johnson - which is nothing short of laughable. 
[/quote]

If you take a look around you will see I have praised BJ more than once for his recent form.  The argument for Lafferty on the left is a valid one though, as this is where he has spent  a lot of his career.   You say we look weaker when Johnson isn''t in the team, well against Bolton we were fine until he was brought on, when the midfield conveniently disappeared.    Credit where credit is due though.  He is playing well, but let''s not pretend he is the best thing since sliced bread.