Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Reading

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Oh dear grefstad, a bit upset that you were wrong.

And thank you for your concern, but I have a fantastic job thanks.

😉[/quote]Winding people up up again, or rewriting history?  Grefstad had a perfectly good point on the line up and the exact subs were made to replicate it.  Perhaps if we had started with a Hoolahan or a Redmond or Grabban or even Lafferty, we might have been a bit better.   The supposed solid line up without the creativity obviously did not work.[/quote]Not interested, bore off.[/quote]

Grefstad made a perfectly good footballing post which you rubbished. Then you try to pretend it is him that is in the wrong.  You bore off.

[/quote]And what business is it of yours, but of course this is the only way you get attention, isn''t it?He stated that he thought Hoolahan and Grabben would likely start, I stated I thought this extremely unlikely away from home, he told me to wait and see. Which I did, and was proven correct. He then spat his dummy out.Case closed.Now f*ck off and mither someone else.

Tettey didn''t look fit so to replace him was a no brainer, it could have been done earlier IMO.

Redmond didn''t really look that interested to me, it could well have been a game where your man Lafferty would have had some success, but we will never know.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Tettey didn''t look fit so to replace him was a no brainer, it could have been done earlier IMO.

Redmond didn''t really look that interested to me, it could well have been a game where your man Lafferty would have had some success, but we will never know.[/quote]Redmond''s head is clearly somewhere else, he may as well have not bothered coming on today.

Lots of arm waving and moaning, but not the sort of player to dig in and help us get a point on a cold winters afternoon.

Certainly not today anyway.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Lots of arm waving and moaning, but not the sort of player to dig in and help us get a point on a cold winters afternoon.

Certainly not today anyway.[/quote]The last few games when he has come on, I can understand why he hasn''t been starting.

Maybe his head wouldn''t be elsewhere if the manager had an idea how to use his abilities? Can''t see him hanging around after January, may as well warm the bench at Southampton rather than here. He would get in the starting 11 of every team in this league and several of the league above but Adams can''t fit him in ours.

wouldnt be surprised if Redmonds head is somewhere else after continuously being left on the bench in our team......moreso 2 days after being part of a team who''d won 6-1 2 days prior.

he may aswell be sitting on the bench at a Prem club as Stoke or Southampton as sitting on the bench at a Championship club outside the top 6, under a manager who hasnt the tactical nous of how to utilise him.

[quote user="JF"]Maybe his head wouldn''t be elsewhere if the manager had an idea how to use his abilities? Can''t see him hanging around after January, may as well warm the bench at Southampton rather than here. He would get in the starting 11 of every team in this league and several of the league above but Adams can''t fit him in ours.[/quote]Expand on your point. In what way does mismanagement affect how he plays when he crosses the white line?Personally I suspect the young lad has got a bit too big for his boots, and should realise that his performances have to make the manager pick him, or impossible to leave out.

Shows a complete lack of trust in the player from the manager to leave him out after the last match and it backfired on Adams. Cowardly management leaving the clubs two most creative and forward thinking players on the bench to ''shore up midfield'' against reading ffs.

[quote user="JF"]Shows a complete lack of trust in the player from the manager to leave him out after the last match and it backfired on Adams. Cowardly management leaving the clubs two most creative and forward thinking players on the bench to ''shore up midfield'' against reading ffs.[/quote]How many times this season have we tried to blitzkreig teams and come off worst?Every single team will adapt their tactics when they go away from home, why is it wrong when we do it?

The obvious thing to have done on Friday would have been to take Redmond off  after the game was 3 or 4 up, to save him for the Reading game.   The fact that he wasn''t suggests that the decision not to play him from the start today was made in advance of Friday''s game.   He should start every game imo and get taken off after 70 minutes if we are winning well.  Not starting him doesn''t stop us losing points.

You can''t expect him to perform magic in the second half of games all the time, especially after having played a full high energy game two days before hand.   

I''m all for adapting tactics away from home morty or against teams of a decent level of ability, but in this league and with this squad we should be able to impose our game on the opposition and give them something to worry about. Instead we throw away 45 minutes of football and had to rely on the players from the bench again, this time to no avail. I believe a better tactic would have been one up top and 5 across the midfield allowing us to play Redmond or Hoolahan or even both.

"You can''t expect him to perform magic in the second half of games all

the time, especially after having played a full high energy game two

days before hand."
Shouldn''t this statement include all of the guys that played versus Millwall? Maybe those whiners Van Gaal and Poyet had a point?!

[quote user="JF"]I''m all for adapting tactics away from home morty or against teams of a decent level of ability, but in this league and with this squad we should be able to impose our game on the opposition and give them something to worry about. Instead we throw away 45 minutes of football and had to rely on the players from the bench again, this time to no avail. I believe a better tactic would have been one up top and 5 across the midfield allowing us to play Redmond or Hoolahan or even both.[/quote]Who would you have dropped, Hooper or Jerome?There is actually nothing wrong, tactically, with the system we currently employ away from home. The four sit tight, and the width is provided by the overlapping fullbacks.What was wrong today though is that we got sussed out, they played an expansive midfield, and time after time Whittaker and Olsson ran into brick walls. Neil should have spotted this and tinkered, probably in the first half, perhaps by pushing Howson into a more advanced role, and try our luck more through the middle.

It''s the same for both teams. The reading manager and players are not whining are they. Just an excuse.

Nothing tactically wrong with how we play away? You obviously DIDN''T watch today then Morty, just hid behind your keyboard again!!!! We were tactically inept from start to finish, as for saying Redmond looks uninterested can you blame him the way he is being treated? What other club would put a player on the bench who is being touted for a 10 million pound move? time you threw those yellow and green glasses away mate and watched before commenting for once!!!!

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Nothing tactically wrong with how we play away? You obviously DIDN''T watch today then Morty, just hid behind your keyboard again!!!! We were tactically inept from start to finish, as for saying Redmond looks uninterested can you blame him the way he is being treated? What other club would put a player on the bench who is being touted for a 10 million pound move? time you threw those yellow and green glasses away mate and watched before commenting for once!!!![/quote]Yes, I was at the game, calm down dear.

[quote user="Herman "]"You can''t expect him to perform magic in the second half of games all

days before hand."
Shouldn''t this statement include all of the guys that played versus Millwall? Maybe those whiners Van Gaal and Poyet had a point?![/quote]

A player like Redmond who is imo undoubtedly more of a  high energy player than some others, needs to be kept as fresh as possible - both mentally and physically. Him playing the full ninety minutes against Millwall was not clever imo.  Hooper too played the full 90 on Saturday - and struggled today.    

so you think Adams got the tactics right today then? Or have you changed your mind in the last 5 minutes? Maybe you could explain those tactics to the rest of us too?

''What was wrong today is we got sussed out''

But what is it with us that makes it so easy for managers to ''suss us out? Earlier in the season when all was going well Charlton sussed us out and that resulted in our poor run as other teams followed suit. Now it seems we''ve been found out again. Yet a very average Ipswich side have yet to be sussed out and ditto bournmouth. I think the answer lies in the players lacking enough fight and spirit and a rookie manager not experienced enough to deal with them.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]so you think Adams got the tactics right today then? Or have you changed your mind in the last 5 minutes? Maybe you could explain those tactics to the rest of us too?[/quote]There is nothing wrong with the starting lineup, or tactics away from home. But as I have already stated in an earlier post Reading spread out their midfield, denying our fullbacks overlapping. He should have tweaked it long before half time.All teams will have a general tactical framework they adapt to when they are away from home, why should we be different?Don''t forget this is exactly (virtually bar Cueller) system that almost yielded a win at Derby, that everyone was purring about.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]"You can''t expect him to perform magic in the second half of games all

days before hand."
Shouldn''t this statement include all of the guys that played versus Millwall? Maybe those whiners Van Gaal and Poyet had a point?![/quote]

A player like Redmond who is imo undoubtedly more of a  high energy player than some others, needs to be kept as fresh as possible - both mentally and physically. Him playing the full ninety minutes against Millwall was not clever imo.  Hooper too played the full 90 on Saturday - and struggled today.     [/quote]Poor bastard just can''t win. If he had rested Redmond against Millwall he would have been crucified. Because he rested Redmond today he''s getting crucified. Load of old ballbags.

"Don''t forget this is exactly (virtually bar Cueller) system that almost yielded a win at Derby, that everyone was purring about."

True, although the subs were needed again in that match.that display was the best of the season and we looked the real deal and today it''s a shambles again. Something is wrong because we are capable of doing it yet lack any consistency to mount a serious challenge.

[quote user="JF"]"Don''t forget this is exactly (virtually bar Cueller) system that almost yielded a win at Derby, that everyone was purring about."

True, although the subs were needed again in that match.that display was the best of the season and we looked the real deal and today it''s a shambles again. Something is wrong because we are capable of doing it yet lack any consistency to mount a serious challenge.[/quote]The game is played over 90 minutes, and with up to 14 players.Like I said in another thread, it was one of those days, only time will tell if it is total collapse, or "one of those days" but I have seen enough over the last three games to give them the benefit of the doubt, for now. My panic button remains unpushed, whilst others seem to be revelling in another oppourtunity to roll their eyes and flail their arms.

Redmond only played against Millwall because Tettey was injured.Part of the problem is there is never any variation with the subs either, Hoolahan for O''Neil, Redmond for Tettey and Grabban for Jerome or Hooper, maybe he could try something different occasionally? Howson was utter crap today along with Olsson but how often do either of those two ever get replaced?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Redmond only played against Millwall because Tettey was injured.Part of the problem is there is never any variation with the subs either, Hoolahan for O''Neil, Redmond for Tettey and Grabban for Jerome or Hooper, maybe he could try something different occasionally? Howson was utter crap today along with Olsson but how often do either of those two ever get replaced?[/quote]Or maybe thats just actually your opinion?

Automatic promotion is now gone. The situation we have got ourselves into means that too many more ''one of those days'' will result in the play offs being out of reach as well. The defeat today puts a very real chance of us being 6 points outside the play offs after our next match. We are in danger of losing the pack so your panic button may not be pressed but maybe it should be. Adams will continue to pick up the wins to keep us in the top 8 but the lack of consistency will stop us from making a serious challenge.

[quote user="morty"]Don''t forget this is exactly (virtually bar Cueller) system that almost yielded a win at Derby, that everyone was purring about.[/quote]
This system had us losing 2-1 at Derby before we changed it.  Today Reading were leading 2-0 when we changed it.
This system is a bit lacklustre in attack, and the goals are still being conceded - away from home at least.
I still don''t think Neil Adams has found the system and lineup which will get us promoted yet.