Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Reading

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]Don''t forget this is exactly (virtually bar Cueller) system that almost yielded a win at Derby, that everyone was purring about.[/quote]
This system had us losing 2-1 at Derby before we changed it.  Today Reading were leading 2-0 when we changed it.
This system is a bit lacklustre in attack, and the goals are still being conceded - away from home at least.
I still don''t think Neil Adams has found the system and lineup which will get us promoted yet.
[/quote]As I said somewhere else though, the game is played for 90 minutes, by up to 14 players.And it relies on fullbacks getting forward, which was negated today, partly by Readings wide midfield, but it could just as easily be attributed to really nobody having a particularly good game. The system as with all systems, requires everyone to play their part, and will absorb the odd player having the odd off day, but not as many as had an off day today.

our 2 most impressive performances in recent weeks were the second half vs Huddersfield (once the 4 man central midfield was ditched) and the Millwall match 2 days ago.....both conataining Redmond on one wing and Johnson countering (and weighing in with goals) on the other.

why then ,are we complicating things by just not playing this bloody team?!?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]our 2 most impressive performances in recent weeks were the second half vs Huddersfield (once the 4 man central midfield was ditched) and the Millwall match 2 days ago.....both conataining Redmond on one wing and Johnson countering (and weighing in with goals) on the other.

why then ,are we complicating things by just not playing this bloody team?!?!?[/quote]Right, now I''m seeing whats happening here.If you like Neil, when he makes a change, he is just doing that.But if you don''t, he is panicking and making the change, because he has realised he has f*cked up?Is that about right?And you do understand that playing games home and away, usually require different tactics?

[quote user="morty"]As I said somewhere else though, the game is played for 90 minutes, by up to 14 players.[/quote]
Well yes, but the system was changed to something else in each of these games as we were losing / or failing to beat 10 men.  In fact this system has only actually managed a win once - against a toothless Wigan side.
[quote user="morty"]
And it relies on fullbacks getting forward, which was negated today, partly by Readings wide midfield, but it could just as easily be attributed to really nobody having a particularly good game. 
[/quote]
The thing is, while playing with these four central midfielders we don''t look very threatening, and by most accounts didn''t again today.  I think the system had its use in helping stem the tide of goals we were conceding pre-Wigan, but I am not sure it is the way forward for the rest of the season.

when we''ve just won a game 6-1 ,that all of times should be when to "not change a winning team".......what he did today hardly worked now did it?....as evidenced with him then overcompensating this by brining on Redmond and Hoolahan on at half time to rectify his initial bad team selection.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]when we''ve just won a game 6-1 ,that all of times should be when to "not change a winning team".......what he did today hardly worked now did it?....as evidenced with him then overcompensating this by brining on Redmond and Hoolahan on at half time to rectify his initial bad team selection.[/quote]

...and this is hardly me speaking after the event either....i''ve been saying for weeks that Redmond shouldmbe starting every game home and away....and after the Millwall match even stated that I''d hoped that the penny had dropped with Adams.....clearly after that today it had not.....and I''m beginning to even doubt that he would have even played against Millwall had Tettey had been fit.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]"You can''t expect him to perform magic in the second half of games all

the time, especially after having played a full high energy game two

days before hand."
Shouldn''t this statement include all of the guys that played versus Millwall? Maybe those whiners Van Gaal and Poyet had a point?![/quote]A player like Redmond who is imo undoubtedly more of a  high energy player than some others, needs to be kept as fresh as possible - both mentally and physically. Him playing the full ninety minutes against Millwall was not clever imo.  Hooper too played the full 90 on Saturday - and struggled today. [/quote]Poor bastard just can''t win. If he had rested Redmond against Millwall he would have been crucified. Because he rested Redmond today he''s getting crucified. Load of old ballbags.[/quote]

I''m not crucifying Adams, just criticising. I didn''t want Redmond rested against Millwall, just taken off when the game was out of their reach to keep him fresher for today.  But he didn''t rest Redmond today either - because it was part of the plan - a predictable plan.  Managers are there to be criticised when things aren''t working - I praised him on Friday - today, it looks as if playing a predictable line up played right into Reading''s hands.  

Playing like we do in the first halves this season has affected so many games that whoever is picked we seem to struggle. Millwall was an exception.    Even against Derby when we played reasonably well in the first half, we went in behind.  Today was back to normal service. First half ineptitude, leading to having too much to do in the second half.  Lovely to see all those goals go in recently, but we are dropping too many points for comfort - or for the declared remit of promotion.

What about Lafferty?  Has come very close to scoring on several occasions and should imo have got a chance at lest from the bench in one of these two matches.  Doing things exactly the same, just because they worked once (at Derby) is not a recipe for success.  

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]As I said somewhere else though, the game is played for 90 minutes, by up to 14 players.[/quote]
Well yes, but the system was changed to something else in each of these games as we were losing / or failing to beat 10 men.  In fact this system has only actually managed a win once - against a toothless Wigan side.
[quote user="morty"]
And it relies on fullbacks getting forward, which was negated today, partly by Readings wide midfield, but it could just as easily be attributed to really nobody having a particularly good game. 
[/quote]
The thing is, while playing with these four central midfielders we don''t look very threatening, and by most accounts didn''t again today.  I think the system had its use in helping stem the tide of goals we were conceding pre-Wigan, but I am not sure it is the way forward for the rest of the season.
[/quote]Its subjective though, isn''t it, whether you consider those changes to be proactive, or reactive. And I suspect in a lot of peoples cases it is majorly influenced by their underlying opinion of the manager.Yes, the system was developed as a reaction to our overly optimistic approach to games. I still stick by it, for now, I see it as a way to steady the ship, get a few results and build confidence, which there has been evidence of in recent weeks.I stand by today being a rubbish day at the office, and not a rapid return to poor form.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]when we''ve just won a game 6-1 ,that all of times should be when to "not change a winning team".......what he did today hardly worked now did it?....as evidenced with him then overcompensating this by brining on Redmond and Hoolahan on at half time to rectify his initial bad team selection.[/quote]

...and this is hardly me speaking after the event either....i''ve been saying for weeks that Redmond shouldmbe starting every game home and away....and after the Millwall match even stated that I''d hoped that the penny had dropped with Adams.....clearly after that today it had not.....and I''m beginning to even doubt that he would have even played against Millwall had Tettey had been fit.[/quote]Ah, so this is about "I told you so", is it?Redmond was awful today.

so we win 6-1 48 hours ago....and he sees his other 9 team mates (barring Cueller) justifyibly send out again to hopefully pick up from where they left off....yet he''s the only one of that team singled out and dropped back to the bench.

Redmond is as likely to beat a full back and get a telling cross in, in the first munite as he is the last.....why do we need to wait until we''re behind in a game for him to have to come on and try and dig us out of a hole??

this was Reading we were playing today, not Man City or Chelsea, our previous manager was slaughtered for fielding negative line ups like this.

you were there today....do you honestly believe he picked a team that gave us the best chance of WINNING that football match??

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]so we win 6-1 48 hours ago....and he sees his other 9 team mates (barring Cueller) justifyibly send out again to hopefully pick up from where they left off....yet he''s the only one of that team singled out and dropped back to the bench.

Redmond is as likely to beat a full back and get a telling cross in, in the first munite as he is the last.....why do we need to wait until we''re behind in a game for him to have to come on and try and dig us out of a hole??

this was Reading we were playing today, not Man City or Chelsea, our previous manager was slaughtered for fielding negative line ups like this.

you were there today....do you honestly believe he picked a team that gave us the best chance of WINNING that football match??[/quote]I''ll repeat, you DO understand the difference, tactically, between a home game, and an away game?Because I''m really starting to wonder if you do.Ah right, so when Adams makes a sub, its purely because he thinks he needs to "dig us out of a hole"Your riduculous bias makes it impossible for you to view anything objectively.

Redmond was awful today? But Tettey was outstanding wasn''t he and fully justified his recall by being the worst player on the pitch, and yes that is MY opinion, but as GJL says Adams man management of Redmond today being the only one left out from Friday was awful, is it any wonder that his body language says he has given up with being chopped and changed from the team every week? FFS he was on the verge of the England squad a few months ago yet Adams deems him not good enough to start for Norwich? How can you defend that management, I am intrigued to hear your answer, as he would be the first name on the team sheet at any other club in this Division!!!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]tell me what the 2 half time substitutions of Redmond and Hoolahan were all about then.....?[/quote]No, you tell me.But I will answer for you. It was "Adams panicking because he had f*cked it up again, and in his tactical ineptitude, he just threw on anyone, to give it a go"That sound about right?[:)]

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Redmond was awful today? But Tettey was outstanding wasn''t he and fully justified his recall by being the worst player on the pitch, and yes that is MY opinion, but as GJL says Adams man management of Redmond today being the only one left out from Friday was awful, is it any wonder that his body language says he has given up with being chopped and changed from the team every week? FFS he was on the verge of the England squad a few months ago yet Adams deems him not good enough to start for Norwich? How can you defend that management, I am intrigued to hear your answer, as he would be the first name on the team sheet at any other club in this Division!!![/quote]Redmond was awful today, didn''t look interested.Thats my opinion.Being the first name on every other teams teamsheet is also only your opinion.Right now Redmond looks like a lad that does not want to be here. All Adams'' fault, of course.

i know what the reason for them was....it was to dig himself out of the hole he''d put us in.

if he was that confident in the system ,he wouldnt have thrown it out of the window after 45 minutes

now, I want to hear YOUR view?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]i know what the reason for them was....it was to dig himself out of the hole he''d put us in.

if he was that confident in the system ,he wouldnt have thrown it out of the window after 45 minutes

now, I want to hear YOUR view?[/quote]I give up.Go talk to Baldyboy, you two will get on like a house on fire.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]i know what the reason for them was....it was to dig himself out of the hole he''d put us in.

now, I want to hear YOUR view?[/quote]I give up.Go talk to Baldyboy, you two will get on like a house on fire.[/quote]

still waiting ?....a comment....anything?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]tell me what the 2 half time substitutions of Redmond and Hoolahan were all about then.....?[/quote]

The sensible answer is that subbing on Redmond and Hoolahan worked at Derby - so it appears a simplistic move to say - "well it worked at Derby so we''ll try it again".    Almost a carbon copy of the Derby match - except you can''t replicate things in football that easily - too predictable by halves.  Lafferty would have had some effect - he has been on the bench quite alot recently and must be chomping at the bit to get on.  Why put him on the bench, but hardly ever use him? 

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]i know what the reason for them was....it was to dig himself out of the hole he''d put us in.

now, I want to hear YOUR view?[/quote]I give up.Go talk to Baldyboy, you two will get on like a house on fire.[/quote]

still waiting ?....a comment....anything?[/quote]On what?You are so blatantly anti Adams that you will disagree with anything I say, on principal.Like I said, you appear to be unable to be objective, so it is pointless.

Its admirable how you twist everything people say and your last comment sums up you when you lose an argument!! "go talk to Baldyboy!"Because of course your opinion is ALWAYS correct isn''t it and everybody who disagrees is wrong.As you say Redmond doesn''t want to be here, maybe you could elaborate on that, Neil, i mean Morty, as the reason quite probably has a lot to do with the statement i made of him being chopped and changed!!It would also be interesting to hear if you think he is not good enough for our first 11 and if not maybe you could again explain why?i won''t hold my breath as you don''t like answering those sorts of questions though do you?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Its admirable how you twist everything people say and your last comment sums up you when you lose an argument!! "go talk to Baldyboy!"Because of course your opinion is ALWAYS correct isn''t it and everybody who disagrees is wrong.As you say Redmond doesn''t want to be here, maybe you could elaborate on that, Neil, i mean Morty, as the reason quite probably has a lot to do with the statement i made of him being chopped and changed!!It would also be interesting to hear if you think he is not good enough for our first 11 and if not maybe you could again explain why?i won''t hold my breath as you don''t like answering those sorts of questions though do you?[/quote]Oh dear, issues much lol?So my opinion, based it only being my opinion, that he looks like he doesn''t want to be here is derided.But your opinion that the reason is he has been chopped and changed, based on no more fact than my opinion, is somehow more valid lol?IN MY OPINION he should be used when it tactically suits the team. He thinks he can sit out on the wing and just do the pretty stuff, but needs that he isn''t quite the complete article yet, so as to be able to demand that, he needs to do a bit more for the team, and a bit less just for himself.Thats my opinion, that okay with you?

where have I derided you for saying he doesnt want to be here? i actually agree with you, I said I can''t blame him, more proof that you DONT actually read what people write

[quote user="Baldyboy"]where have I derided you for saying he doesnt want to be here? i actually agree with you, I said I can''t blame him, more proof that you DONT actually read what people write[/quote]Ahem "Because of course your opinion is ALWAYS correct isn''t it and everybody who disagrees is wrong."Are YOU actually reading what you write lol?

Yes my opinion is always correct....... to me it is, however I dont slag people off for having a different opinion.Yes I have read it and proof read it Mr Forum policeman!!!

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Yes my opinion is always correct....... to me it is, however I dont slag people off for having a different opinion.Yes I have read it and proof read it Mr Forum policeman!!![/quote]Where am I slagging anyone off?You appear to be the one getting the ar$e just because I don''t agree with your opinion, fella.

the point is ,is this , I think....

if we set our team up away from home like this , one of these scenarios will happen,

we will either take the lead by scoring on the break....and then keep this system all match and try to hang on to a 1-0 lead ...such as at Forest.

....it will remain at 0-0 until deep into the match ,where we will either see it out as a goalless draw, or go behind,at which point we then have to make changes i.e Redmond , and are then panicing ,trying to salvage something from the game

...or we go behind fairly early in the game ,like today, whereby the initial gameplan goes completely out of the window..and every minute that ticks by until we make the attacking changes are a wasted minute.

my main point here is that we''re not being the "proactive" team in any of these scenarios, and I believe that our team is better than that, and can force matches from the start away from home.

It may be a different opinion to some.......but, I maintain that the team Adams picked today was not one that gave us the best chance of winning that football match.