Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Just back from Reading

"Or maybe it''s because I have better things to do"

Thank you Baldyboy. I''ve asked about why people are all over this board after a bad result and yet nowhere near it after a good one so many times. At last i have an answer.

These "better things" are clearly better than discussing great play, winning games, fantastic goals so I can only assume they have something to do with being angry and miserable.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]No I didn''t post after those games, although the first half against Huddersfield was shocking too, thats because I hoped we had turned the corner, BUT, what i witnessed today was yet another shambles against a very poor Reading side, the same as when we played them at home.[/quote]By their words shall you know them.Two thumping home victories, a good point away against Derby, a hard won battle against Wigan, and old Slaphead here is nowhere to be seen because we''re doing well, ergo there is nothing to talk about.  One poor performance and out he crawls like an insect from beneath his rock.Shame on  you, slaphead, and your pathetic support.

Morty is right that those of us who have supported the club over many decades are not surprised that results are up and down. Except for the few truly ''big'' clubs that is the nature of football. Whilst automatic promotion is now highly unlikely there is still every chance of a play-off place and the lottery that ensues. There is plenty to keep our interest this season and remember that next season Adams is no longer a rookie manager.

We can blame team selection, the players, or the manager. What is relevant is we have to be focusing on a play-off place rather than automatics as I genuinely don''t think we look like putting a really good run together. Whilst we''ve had two comfortable home victories we failed to beat Derby, which in the context of the game we should have - and Wigan was a really tight game, which really could have probably gone either way.
We''re still in the mix for the play-offs however once the transfer window closed and we kept nearly all our best players I don''t think play-offs would be an achievement for the money we''ve technically `invested` in keeping these players.
Thankfully we''ve looked better at home which is paramount if you want to stand a chance of reaching the top 6.

Crafty Canary wrote the following post at 29/12/2014 8:32 AM:

Morty is right that those of us who have supported the club over many decades are not surprised that results are up and down. Except for the few truly ''big'' clubs that is the nature of football. Whilst automatic promotion is now highly unlikely there is still every chance of a play-off place and the lottery that ensues. There is plenty to keep our interest this season and remember that next season Adams is no longer a rookie manager.

What a ridiculous reason for keeping the fool

Next season our income is slashed and we will have to off load players but we should be ok because Afdams will have 12 months experience behind him ??????

He needs to go now and we appoint someone who knows what they are doing

The reason why we have roller coaster rides at Norwich are a direct result of the buffoons Delia & Co appoint as Managers - nothing to do with the ebb & flows of football

Adams

Gunn

Roder

Grant

etc etc etc

Oh and she needs to move on as well - she has had all of her money back, we owe her nothing - she needs to sell her shares and become a fan, not dabble in something she knows very little about

It''s entirely understandable that post counts go up following a poor display as the forums act as a catalyst for people to vent their frustrations.

I disagree with the negative views expressed here but do not judge the authors as lesser fans.

It was a bad day at the office and personnally I blame the players as the same team has had a good run up unitl yesterday.

What should NA have done differently?

Newton, success in football comes from good recruitment both of managers and players. The fact is this is a bit of a lottery as being successful at one club doesn''t mean success follows at another. David Moyes is an example. When I look back at the managers of City in my time supporting them how many successes have we had as managers. Archie Macauley and his ''59 cup side and promotion to what is now the Championship the following season. Ron Ashman and Lol Morgan achieved nothing. We then had a run with Ron Saunders, John Bond, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer and Mike Walker. This golden run ended and since then we have had only Worthington and Lambert to get excited about. Even the ''successful'' managers could not sustain it. The fact is our history is largely centred on the Championship since that promotion at the start of the sixties with periods in the top flight. That would put us in the top 30 clubs in the post-war era so two-thirds of clubs would like our record.

Neil Adams was certainly not my choice of manager however that is what he. Is and I see no point in a merry go round of managers just because we are not clear at the top of the table. Under Adams we are really no better or worse than where we usually are throughout our history. That'' neither his fault nor the board''s. It'' s the way football is.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Newton, success in football comes from good recruitment both of managers and players. The fact is this is a bit of a lottery as being successful at one club doesn''t mean success follows at another. David Moyes is an example. When I look back at the managers of City in my time supporting them how many successes have we had as managers. Archie Macauley and his ''59 cup side and promotion to what is now the Championship the following season. Ron Ashman and Lol Morgan achieved nothing. We then had a run with Ron Saunders, John Bond, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer and Mike Walker. This golden run ended and since then we have had only Worthington and Lambert to get excited about. Even the ''successful'' managers could not sustain it. The fact is our history is largely centred on the Championship since that promotion at the start of the sixties with periods in the top flight. That would put us in the top 30 clubs in the post-war era so two-thirds of clubs would like our record.

Neil Adams was certainly not my choice of manager however that is what he. Is and I see no point in a merry go round of managers just because we are not clear at the top of the table. Under Adams we are really no better or worse than where we usually are throughout our history. That'' neither his fault nor the board''s. It'' s the way football is.[/quote]The first paragraph is entirely true, and well put. Arguably it even understates how our performance post the golden era compares very favourably with that of similar-sized or even bigger clubs, given our poverty. Nottingham Forest, for example, would kill for our qualified success.The problem with treating Adams a manager who is not doing any worse than he should be is this. After failing to land Mackay there was a choice. We could have gone for an experienced manager with a very spotty track record, because those were the kind available (such as Zola). In other words, someone whose level is at best mid-table Championship. Or do what eight other Chaampionship clubs didn''t do in the summer and gamble on Lennon. Or gamble on Adams, in the hope he would come good.We chose the latter, which is different from, say, picking Bryan Hamilton, who had many years of managerial experience behind him, and that turning out mediocre or bad.Hamilton was not a gamble in the way Adams was.The argument now, which I am coming round to supporting, is that because the Adams gamble seems not to be working and because there is at least one decent alternative (in Rosler) then a change should be made. Just as last season was an unnecessary relegation, so a finish this season out of the top two, which would often look like par for the course, would in reality be an unneceesary underperformnace.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]

The fact is our history is largely centred on the Championship since that promotion at the start of the sixties with periods in the top flight. That would put us in the top 30 clubs in the post-war era so two-thirds of clubs would like our record. Neil Adams was certainly not my choice of manager however that is what he. Is and I see no point in a merry go round of managers just because we are not clear at the top of the table. Under Adams we are really no better or worse than where we usually are throughout our history. That'' neither his fault nor the board''s. It'' s the way football is.[/quote]

^^^^^ THISFar too much reality in this post CC.When we are at our peak we can just about compete in the Premier League but nobody stays at their peak forever.Some will never accept it but it''s no less real for that.Having said that, I think we all agree that we should be doing a lot better considering the strength of our squad.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Morty is right that those of us who have supported the club over many decades are not surprised that results are up and down. Except for the few truly ''big'' clubs that is the nature of football. Whilst automatic promotion is now highly unlikely there is still every chance of a play-off place and the lottery that ensues. There is plenty to keep our interest this season and remember that next season Adams is no longer a rookie manager.[/quote]Can I just point out that we are 7 points off 2nd and just over half the way through the season. I am not suggesting it won''t be difficult but I wouldn''t state it as being highly unlikely at this point.Lets see how the transfer window treats us and the clubs above us and who picks up the results as well. I have a little bit more faith yet.

[quote user="chicken"]

Lets see how the transfer window treats us and the clubs above us and who picks up the results as well. I have a little bit more faith yet.

[/quote]Couldn''t have put it better.[Y]

Sometimes its like everyones memory was reset when Lambert arrived.Trust me, it has been a lot worse than this lol.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]We then had a run with Ron Saunders, John Bond, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer and Mike Walker. This golden run ended and since then we have had only Worthington and Lambert to get excited about.[/quote]While I agree with most of your post Crafty, I must point out that we were actually relegated three times during those ''golden years''. Fans of our generation have always known supporting Norwich City is a roller coaster ride. And if my memory serves me correctly, one of those seasons when we bounced back we were struggling at Christmas but went on a good run in the second half of the season.

This has turned in to a good thread, and I agree Morty things have certainly been worse than this, much worse. my god I remember some very sad times. BUT, I really cannot recall a season, other than perhaps the one we were in the First Division with Lambert, when we have had such a big opportunity to do well when compared to the resources available to the other clubs......or, one where we have under performed so badly....and we have havnt we?

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]This has turned in to a good thread, and I agree Morty things have certainly been worse than this, much worse. my god I remember some very sad times. BUT, I really cannot recall a season, other than perhaps the one we were in the First Division with Lambert, when we have had such a big opportunity to do well when compared to the resources available to the other clubs......or, one where we have under performed so badly....and we have havnt we?[/quote]

The season isn''t over Mark.

Things have clearly been worse but for me my most frustrating times as a Norwich fan have not necessarily been our worst seasons but the one where I feel we have under performed and not really given ourselves the best opportunity we can. This season really feels like that. Yes we are not bad but I feel we are underperforming significantly and wasting a really great opportunity to get back up and avoid undoing all of the hard work of recent years. All I wanted this season was to give ourselves the best opportunity possible. We have done that by retaining the squad but we have not done it with the managerial appointment, in fact we have placed ourselves at a disadvantage and levelled the playing field. That is what is so hugely, hugely frustrating. I can handle us being sh*t. I find it much harder to see a decent squad wasted.

[quote user="Jim Smith"] I can handle us being sh*t. I find it much harder to see a decent squad wasted.[/quote]

This is the reason we are all so frustrated.With what we have it should be a lot better than what''s been served up so far.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jim Smith"] I can handle us being sh*t. I find it much harder to see a decent squad wasted.[/quote]

This is the reason we are all so frustrated.With what we have it should be a lot better than what''s been served up so far.[/quote]
[Y]

Agreed Jim. I do feel that we would be doing better under Hughton however, who has a good track record in this division.

Chicken, the reason I feel automatic promotion is highly unlikely is that not only must we go on a tremendous run of good results but the six clubs above us need to go on a run of very poor results. I really don''t see enough of them doing so to let us make up the lost ground. If the Cherries beat us in our next league game we will be 14 points behind them with 21 games left. We would then need to match their points total for the rest of the season and better it by 2 points every 3 games.

Lappinitup, your comment about the relegation is correct and really goes to support my point that even our successful managers could not sustain the good times.

As Morty points out many of us have seen far worse than we currently witness. My minimum success measure for this season is the play-offs. If we achieved this and went on to win the final could we seriously describe Neil Adams as a failure?

The comments about the quality of our squad are valid however a group of good players and a successful team are two different things.