Sign in to follow this  
irishcanary

board must show commitment fans have

Now is the time for the board to show the same commitment as the fans do. If they don''t buy Huckerby then why should i renew my season ticket. I am aware that Norwich is run as a business, but any business must speculate to accumulate. This is the first season in a long time that i have got excited about the fact we could gain automatic promotion, are the board behind us or are they just hoping that we grab a play off place. I am not knocking the rest of the team I think they are all playing with confidence. Confidence that comes from having players like Huckerby and Crouch in the team.

Did you risk bankrupting your company with your committment to Norwich?

I haven''t, and I bet you haven''t either.

So it''s not an issue about comittment at all. And I would say confidence also comes from being cheered and adored by your fans, as well as the loanees being there. So let''s cheer our other fantastic talents - Greeno, Drury, McVeigh, Jarvis, Mullers, Francis, Hendo etc and let them know we love ''em. Maybe they can do it for us when the loanees are gone.

OTBC

Mook is absolutely bang-on here!

It''s not a question of the Board''s commitment, or matching the fans ambition.

The big question that the Board have to deal with is, is it worth risking a significant investment in the hope that it meets their long-term business objectives? We all know what Norwich City Football Club''s long-term objectives are. They would be the same cold, hard, calculating objectives that any other business in any other walk of life aspires to. Elimination of all financial borrowings, and operating at a healthy profit which in turn maximises shareholder value and return. These objectives will only realistically be achieved through one of two ways.

1) A sugar-daddy with pots of cash, like Roman Ambramovic.

2) A return to the Premiership, and careful on-going investment to ensure the club sustains its place in the top flight, whilst not operating outside its realistic constraints.

We''re not likely to attract a Russian oil billionaire, certainly whilst outside the Premiership, so we have just one option open to us (option 2).

Option 2 is not viable if we follow the same business models and ultimate route of the likes of Leeds United, Leicester City, Ipswich Town, Wimbledon etc.

You may well correctly argue that this season is our best chance yet of returning to the promised land of the Premiership, you won''t find me disagreeing with you on that point. I would love to see us playing in the Premiership again. However, you have to realise that the Board will not make a business decision based on romantic notion.

The huge sum of money invested in building the new South Stand goes some way to help meeting the business objectives outlined above. It''s a relatively ''sound'' investment in response to a bigger demand to see City play, which means increased gate revenue for the club, which should help contribute to reducing borrowing long-term...etc etc.

The huge sum of money talked about investing in one, two or possibly all three of our loanees, is far from a ''sound'' business decision. The likely investment concerned is way beyond the investment ever made in any other player. Like it or not, players are short-term investments in the whole scheme of the club''s long-term business objectives. Some of our supporters are asking the club to risk it''s whole future and existance on a short-term investment.

Yes the ''gamble'' may pay off, and everyone will be congratulating Worthy, the team, the Board, and the best fans in the land...and we can all look forward to what we want, Premiership football and a rosy future.

If the ''gamble'' fails, please do not underestimate the fact that it''s very likely there''d be no Worthy, no team, and no club to support. And whatever remained out of the carnage left by a whimsical investment, it would leave supporters of the old Norwich City looking back on the days where the club were on a roll and in the Top 3 of the First Division. More importantly former fans felt that the club had never looked more likely of regaining their rightful place back to the Premiership.

Here''s to another 3 points against Watford on Saturday, and at last leading the 1st Division.

OTBC

Tim

Please let''s not go down the "speculate to accumulate" route, (just ask any Leeds fan about the true meaning of that particular phrase at this moment), with our beloved club. If I was paid a pound for everytime I heard that particular line, I''d be buying Huckerby myself with the proceeds.

I believe every member of the Board is a Norwich fan first, but, perhaps just as important, custodian of the club second. Unfortuntalely, there are many occasions when the two conflict and we are at such a moment now.

However, the Board''s primary duty is the long term financial well-being of of the club and I''m sure, certainly as far as Delia and Michael or concerned, their "commitment to the club" goes well beyond the price of a season ticket !!!

Yes MAYBE-mook being the operative word!!

Why should we have to settle for that?

I don''t think that we are asking the earth in bringing Hucks in-he is after all 1 player not 10..

I really don''t think that we as a football club can miss this golden opportunity!!

If Crouch stays for the season and Hucks stays i firmly believe that a place in the top 2 will be are''s at the end of the season..

Come on the board please make our christmas come early!!

Snake Pit Rebel

The "Why" is easily answered. We currently turnover approximately £10m a year and are still making a £3-4M loss with a £5m wage bill, all figures quoted at various times by board members.

There''s no lack of ambition with this Board, just a sharpe focus on the financial realities of this division.

I''m not saying they don''t take the plunge, but, as was quoted over the weekend from the Acle Roadshow, the chances of signing Huckerby are "SLIM".

And finally all the way back on the board to 2003.Guess we now know the truth on the Hux deal.That''s five years of this Clubs history, five years with three different managers and five years with the same people in charge at the top.Have any of the questions and worries addressed on these posts from way back ever been addressed by the Board?

Don''t know about any of that but if he''s that good you put your two biggest blokes on him and attempt to kick him off the park.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]Snake Pit Rebel

The "Why" is easily answered. We currently turnover approximately £10m a year and are still making a £3-4M loss with a £5m wage bill, all figures quoted at various times by board members.

There''s no lack of ambition with this Board, just a sharpe focus on the financial realities of this division.

I''m not saying they don''t take the plunge, but, as was quoted over the weekend from the Acle Roadshow, the chances of signing Huckerby are "SLIM".[/quote]

Spin exposed.

We did make a loss of £3m+ in 2002/03 but it was a one off caused by the collapse of ITV Digital which affected every club in the Championship.  Before that we had been breaking even overall.  And who stumped up to offset the loss?  Us, by subscribing to the share issue.