Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Same 11

There''s been a lot of poster questioning why City didn''t start with the same 11 as Saturday (or 10 due to the injury to Cuéllar), but for me we didn''t make enough changes. We''ve got a very strong side and with two games it two days it would have been a great opportunity to make a few changes and bring in those with a point or two to prove.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The simple solution? Play Redmond.[/quote]Who was utterly ineffective, when he came on yesterday.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]There''s been a lot of poster questioning why City didn''t start with the same 11 as Saturday (or 10 due to the injury to Cuéllar), but for me we didn''t make enough changes. We''ve got a very strong side and with two games it two days it would have been a great opportunity to make a few changes and bring in those with a point or two to prove.[/quote]

There are two ways of looking at it.  Keep a winning team or because of the two games in quick succession use more of the squad.  Adams did neither.

There are 2 other ways of looking at itLose and whatever he decided was the wrong decision.Win and whatever he decided was the right decision.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Or win and assume Adams got it wrong but Phelwn changed things behind his back.[/quote][:D]

What I want to know is that why is it, when our club was struggling and sliding down the leagues none of these people currently criticising the club, players, management, board and honourary members did anything.As soon as we looked like being promoted we suddenly gained a boat load of ultra-critical folk.Currently Adams and his coaching staff are better than a lot of this division but people need to take the following into consideration:- At least ten teams can be considered to have been playing in the premier league in recent seasons.That''s not including the likes of Derby, Ipswich, Leeds, Blackpool and Watford.This league is not easy. It''s a very competitive league and it is a league popular for managers to try and prove themselves in owing to it being one of the most watched leagues in the world.People seem to think that our team should just walk the league. I''d like to think we could - but the reality is very much different. A lot of players will be wanting to either gain promotion with their team or prove to higher suitors that they can make the step up and get a move.I hate this period of the season, congested fixtures means that you can have a team in good form suffer a couple of injuries or tight muscles or even just tired legs and you are forced to change it. I do sympathise with what a number of coaches have said.It''s very easy to sit on the end of a 2-1 loss and complain that the manager should have made more changes or none. Was Bennett ready to play a full game? Was Tettey for Redmond the right thing to do?All I know, is that at the begining of the season addressing the slide and finishing in the top six was simply a must. I can still see us doing that. Will we finish 1st or 2nd? Who knows. But our chaps need our support, not this really un-Norwich like ultra-criticism of the nth degree.

[quote user="Making Plans"]There are 2 other ways of looking at itLose and whatever he decided was the wrong decision.Win and whatever he decided was the right decision.

[/quote]

He''s got the team wrong for every match recently bar Millwall. Even in the games we''ve won.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Making Plans"]There are 2 other ways of looking at itLose and whatever he decided was the wrong decision.Win and whatever he decided was the right decision.

[/quote]

He''s got the team wrong for every match recently bar Millwall. Even in the games we''ve won.[/quote]I really, really hope that was tongue in cheek.Please tell me it was.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Making Plans"]There are 2 other ways of looking at itLose and whatever he decided was the wrong decision.Win and whatever he decided was the right decision.

[/quote]

He''s got the team wrong for every match recently bar Millwall. Even in the games we''ve won.[/quote]I really, really hope that was tongue in cheek.Please tell me it was.[/quote]

No it wasn''t. This four man midfield is ridiculous. We are not playing our best team.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Making Plans"]There are 2 other ways of looking at itLose and whatever he decided was the wrong decision.Win and whatever he decided was the right decision.

[/quote]

He''s got the team wrong for every match recently bar Millwall. Even in the games we''ve won.[/quote]

I thought the woman on Fox News who asked if the plane crash was due to the metric system being used was mad but if she was sitting next to you she''d be the one wearing the "I''m with stupid" t-shirt.

[quote user="lake district canary"]There is a third way of course.  Not do anything much other than rely on the players. 

That didn''t work either.

[/quote]That''s a bit of a plum thing to say.The manager is ALWAYS reliant upon their players. As a manager you rely upon all of your players to give it their all in training so you have the best choice to make for the upcoming game. Once you have picked your squad for that fixture, you need all of the players to give each other strength and support.When the big day comes you need your players to be focused and ready.When the 11 you pick to start the game cross that line it''s over to them. You are relying entirely upon them to give it their best.Finally, you rely upon the three players you are able to change the game with, to give it their all, to get into the game and make that difference.We had some very good chances against Reading. We didn''t take them. We also didn''t contain them anywhere near as effectively compared to the previous few games.Every one of our players was found wanting - that suggests to me that none of us could have relied upon them.I feel for Adams. Every game we lose he is rubbish and should never have been appointed. Every game we win is either a fluke, or down to Phelan.If folk feel that strongly then organise a little pwotest mawch where you can all ceremoniously spit your dummies out in a nice neat pile by the club shop or something. It''s becoming boring. Get behind the team and make as much noise for them as you do against them.

I thought the woman on Fox News who asked if the plane crash was due to the metric system being used was mad but if she was sitting next to you she''d be the one wearing the "I''m with stupid" t-shirt.

But at least she was blonde and had a pretty face.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Making Plans"]There are 2 other ways of looking at itLose and whatever he decided was the wrong decision.Win and whatever he decided was the right decision.

[/quote]

He''s got the team wrong for every match recently bar Millwall. Even in the games we''ve won.[/quote]I really, really hope that was tongue in cheek.Please tell me it was.[/quote]

No it wasn''t. This four man midfield is ridiculous. We are not playing our best team.[/quote]Oh right.Whats our best team, for home and away games then Jim.Try to avoid just saying "Redmond should always play"

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Making Plans"]There are 2 other ways of looking at itLose and whatever he decided was the wrong decision.Win and whatever he decided was the right decision.

[/quote]

No it wasn''t. This four man midfield is ridiculous. We are not playing our best team.[/quote]Oh right.Whats our best team, for home and away games then Jim.Try to avoid just saying "Redmond should always play"[/quote]

Why should i avoid it when its true. He has been playing cety well yet keeps being benched. the opposition must be delighted when they see our team sheet and we have no pace on the wings at all. our best team certainly does not include O''Neill, Howson, Tettey and Johnson as a midfield 4. This line up is as bad as or worse than any team Hughton started with. The one saving grace with Adams is he does change it second half if not working but it would be better if he just got it right to start with. The only reason he did v Millwall was probably because his hand was forced by Tettey being injured.

[quote user="morty"]Redmond was utter ineffective yesterday Jim.[/quote]

So what. Can''t always come off the bench into a side who are behind and turn it on.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Redmond was utter ineffective yesterday Jim.[/quote]

So what. Can''t always come off the bench into a side who are behind and turn it on.[/quote]Well you are the one touting him as the best thing sliced bread, the answer to all our problems.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Redmond was utter ineffective yesterday Jim.[/quote]

So what. Can''t always come off the bench into a side who are behind and turn it on.[/quote]Well you are the one touting him as the best thing sliced bread, the answer to all our problems.[/quote]

He should be in our starting line up. He has been playing very well but it must be difficult to maintain consistency when you are constantly being dropped and asked to come in and turn games around in the space of 30-45 minutes. More than anything though its the message to the opposition. An opposition fullback facing Redmond knows they need to be on their toes defensively and are in for a tough afternoon. It curtails their own attacking ambition. fullbacks facing our current starting line up have no threat to worry about at all.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Redmond was utter ineffective yesterday Jim.[/quote]

So what. Can''t always come off the bench into a side who are behind and turn it on.[/quote]Well you are the one touting him as the best thing sliced bread, the answer to all our problems.[/quote]

He should be in our starting line up. He has been playing very well but it must be difficult to maintain consistency when you are constantly being dropped and asked to come in and turn games around in the space of 30-45 minutes. More than anything though its the message to the opposition. An opposition fullback facing Redmond knows they need to be on their toes defensively and are in for a tough afternoon. It curtails their own attacking ambition. fullbacks facing our current starting line up have no threat to worry about at all.[/quote]Let me just clarify something here Jim, I am not entirely disagreeing with you. Redmond is a great player, but he''s no Huckerby. Hucks had the status of it being impossible to leave him off the teamsheet, but Redmond hasn''t quite got that, perhaps yet.Much the same as Hoolahan, his inclusion means that you have to sacrifice something else to accommodate him.I can completely understand why he has been used in the way he has recently.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Redmond was utter ineffective yesterday Jim.[/quote]

He should be in our starting line up. He has been playing very well but it must be difficult to maintain consistency when you are constantly being dropped and asked to come in and turn games around in the space of 30-45 minutes. More than anything though its the message to the opposition. An opposition fullback facing Redmond knows they need to be on their toes defensively and are in for a tough afternoon. It curtails their own attacking ambition. fullbacks facing our current starting line up have no threat to worry about at all.[/quote]Let me just clarify something here Jim, I am not entirely disagreeing with you. Redmond is a great player, but he''s no Huckerby. Hucks had the status of it being impossible to leave him off the teamsheet, but Redmond hasn''t quite got that, perhaps yet.Much the same as Hoolahan, his inclusion means that you have to sacrifice something else to accommodate him.I can completely understand why he has been used in the way he has recently.[/quote]

I understand it but I don''t agree with it at all. Adams also have himself a problem but getting rid of Pilks and Snoddy and not getting in any replacements to rotate with Redmond. To be honest I think Adams needs to bite the bullet and go back to 4-2-3-1 away from home because that''s the formation I think works best for us and enables us to play two of Redmond, Wes and Howson every week. That though means dropping one of Jerome or Hooper unless one of them can play in the 3.

[quote user="morty"]Much the same as Hoolahan, his inclusion means that you have to sacrifice something else to accommodate him.[/quote]
And Bradley Johnson, on performances like yesterday you have to do a lot more defending with him in the side - as he gave the ball back to Reading 27 times through misplaced passes. 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]Much the same as Hoolahan, his inclusion means that you have to sacrifice something else to accommodate him.[/quote]
And Bradley Johnson, on performances like yesterday you have to do a lot more defending with him in the side - as he gave the ball back to Reading 27 times through misplaced passes. 
[/quote]

Wow, you''ve really shoe-horned that stat into this thread.

[quote user="Jenkins"]His passing was poor yesterday, but he was not alone in that, I blame Adams for this.[/quote]Clearly Phelan''s fault.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]Much the same as Hoolahan, his inclusion means that you have to sacrifice something else to accommodate him.[/quote]
[/quote]If I was to write a list of players who are team orientated, I''m fairly sure Bradley would be above Redmond on my list. By quite a long way.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Redmond was utter ineffective yesterday Jim.[/quote]

He should be in our starting line up. He has been playing very well but it must be difficult to maintain consistency when you are constantly being dropped and asked to come in and turn games around in the space of 30-45 minutes. More than anything though its the message to the opposition. An opposition fullback facing Redmond knows they need to be on their toes defensively and are in for a tough afternoon. It curtails their own attacking ambition. fullbacks facing our current starting line up have no threat to worry about at all.[/quote]Let me just clarify something here Jim, I am not entirely disagreeing with you. Redmond is a great player, but he''s no Huckerby. Hucks had the status of it being impossible to leave him off the teamsheet, but Redmond hasn''t quite got that, perhaps yet.Much the same as Hoolahan, his inclusion means that you have to sacrifice something else to accommodate him.I can completely understand why he has been used in the way he has recently.[/quote]

I understand it but I don''t agree with it at all. Adams also have himself a problem but getting rid of Pilks and Snoddy and not getting in any replacements to rotate with Redmond. To be honest I think Adams needs to bite the bullet and go back to 4-2-3-1 away from home because that''s the formation I think works best for us and enables us to play two of Redmond, Wes and Howson every week. That though means dropping one of Jerome or Hooper unless one of them can play in the 3.[/quote]Sorry but right now, I wouldn''t be happy with dropping either Hooper or Jerome.