Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Norwich, the Newcastle of the div below... plenty of similarities, what do you all think?

Norwich have two owners rather than a single owner, but they share with Newcastle a history of daft decisions, poor managerial appointments and having dubious corporate types (who know little about football) running the club. When both clubs seem to be in a half reasonable position, or a position where things haven''t gone well but are salvageable, they will suddenly shoot themselves in the foot and lurch into yet another crisis. Newcastle fans seem more vocal and proactive than Norwich fans in trying to change things, whether it be trying to get a crummy manager to leave or unseat a poor owner.Norwich fans tend to sit back and accept the status quo. Many seem content to trot out all manner of excuses and try to paint a rosy picture of a small family club punching above its weight. They typically cite a whole host of comparable clubs who are similarly poorly run, but have maybe had one or two seasons less than us in the top flight, as evidence that we are well run and successful. The counter-example of a team like Swansea overtaking us and becoming the sort of team we used to be in the early 90s is dismissed for one reason or another.

Nope.  Can''t see any similarites whatsoever.   Their board don''t cave in to fan pressure every time things get really difficult.  They are permanent underachievers, we are often overachieving for the size of club we are.  Money isn''t an issue so much as it is at Norwich.  The list is endless. 

The only club I in the Premiership I see any similarities with are Man City.  When they first got together a superb squad for the division they were in, they flattered to deceive like we are at the moment.  A quality squad - some days brilliant and scoring for fun, other days looking dis-interested and flaky.    High expectations, but it took two or three seasons for the true quality to come to fruition. 

Might have been better saying what you think rather than expecting people to fill in the blanks for you Jimmy?

Well I guess they both begin with the letter "N"...

I would say we are more like Arsenal, I total split in the Fan base about the manager.

Clubs expectations far lower than the fans.

There may be a few irrelevant similarities, but the main difference, and the only one that counts, is that over, say, the last 20 years Newcastle United, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have underperformed, while Norwich City, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have over-performed.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]There may be a few irrelevant similarities, but the main difference, and the only one that counts, is that over, say, the last 20 years Newcastle United, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have underperformed, while Norwich City, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have over-performed.[/quote]

I would disagree when you put fanbase as over performed. We have been around about 10th highest in the country for many years (larger ground even higher possibly) That means we have under performed.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]There may be a few irrelevant similarities, but the main difference, and the only one that counts, is that over, say, the last 20 years Newcastle United, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have underperformed, while Norwich City, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have over-performed.[/quote]

I would disagree when you put fanbase as over performed. We have been around about 10th highest in the country for many years (larger ground even higher possibly) That means we have under performed.[/quote]One factor out of three. The other two, and particularly finance, easily overwhelm the fanbase factor, so - I repeat - we have overperformed. You are wrong.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]There may be a few irrelevant similarities, but the main difference, and the only one that counts, is that over, say, the last 20 years Newcastle United, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have underperformed, while Norwich City, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have over-performed.[/quote]

I would disagree when you put fanbase as over performed. We have been around about 10th highest in the country for many years (larger ground even higher possibly) That means we have under performed.[/quote]We are about 14th/15th in the country, and roughly in the top 20 for about a decade.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]There may be a few irrelevant similarities, but the main difference, and the only one that counts, is that over, say, the last 20 years Newcastle United, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have underperformed, while Norwich City, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have over-performed.[/quote]

I would disagree when you put fanbase as over performed. We have been around about 10th highest in the country for many years (larger ground even higher possibly) That means we have under performed.[/quote]One factor out of three. The other two, and particularly finance, easily overwhelm the fanbase factor, so - I repeat - we have overperformed. You are wrong.[/quote]

Don''t get all upset I was just stating a fact, you should not have mentioned fanbase.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]There may be a few irrelevant similarities, but the main difference, and the only one that counts, is that over, say, the last 20 years Newcastle United, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have underperformed, while Norwich City, given their history, fanbase and financial circumstances, have over-performed.[/quote]

I would disagree when you put fanbase as over performed. We have been around about 10th highest in the country for many years (larger ground even higher possibly) That means we have under performed.[/quote]We are about 14th/15th in the country, and roughly in the top 20 for about a decade.[/quote]The fanbase size is a bit of a red herring tbh.  The most important factor in the status of a club these days is the size of the owner''s wallet.

Oh yes, competely agree LDC. We could have 100,000 fans sitting at CR but if they are only paying a pound a ticket then it''s not accruing enough money to keep the team competitive.Our financial clout means that we will constantly be floating around the divisions like we have been.