Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The Murphys

Two of our young stars, one of whom, Jacob, was said to be slightly behind Josh in development.  Is that the case now?   Josh seems to be out of favour atm but has shown he has the ability, but Jacob is doing really well too.  Wouldn''t it be great if both these could appear in our first team at the same time?  This surely is not just wishful thinking as both now have first team experience at this level. 

Would be nice but neither have shown to me they have what it takes to play a regular role in a team pushing for promotion.
Jacob has looked good in an awful Blackpool side while Murphy is never going to get in ahead of Redmond and doesn''t seem to have the positional awareness to perform any kind of defensive duty - hence unlikely he''ll get in ahead of Johnson on the left.
Saying that, i''d like to see him given a little run coming off the bench regularly.

I personally think there progress and most of the youth cup winning side has been very slow. By the end of the season most of these players will be 20+ and I guess none will be knocking on the 1st team door for a regular place.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Josh works hard but Jacob has an attitude problem, it is alleged, suspect one will make it and one won''t.[/quote]Is that opinion of Jacob based on anything more than the recent tweet thing?

morty wrote the following post at 31/12/2014 11:01 AM:

Jenkins wrote:

Josh works hard but Jacob has an attitude problem, it is alleged, suspect one will make it and one won''t.

Is that opinion of Jacob based on anything more than the recent tweet thing?

No that''s based on talking with friends at Colney.

[quote user="Jenkins"]morty wrote the following post at 31/12/2014 11:01 AM:

Jenkins wrote:

Josh works hard but Jacob has an attitude problem, it is alleged, suspect one will make it and one won''t.

Is that opinion of Jacob based on anything more than the recent tweet thing?

No that''s based on talking with friends at Colney.[/quote][Y]Well they will be seeing him back to work on that.

Indeed, that''s all it''s about for those guys now, working hard on improving their game. They both have the ability, as many have, it''s the attitude that matters at this stage.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Indeed, that''s all it''s about for those guys now, working hard on improving their game. They both have the ability, as many have, it''s the attitude that matters at this stage.[/quote]

really - apart from scoring a goal in a game (Blackpool) we were already winning I cant remember either of these two doing anything of note for Norwich City in a Championship game. Put them both out on loan to toughen them up and in Jacob''s case - grow up. Id imagine most U12 team mates would be p;d off with a teammate posting on twitter that they were going to lose again let alone professionals whose careers and income depend upon performances. Their role models are the Jarvis brothers - both sets of youth team lads, hyped beyond any reasonable expectation based on what they have actually achieved and ultimately not very good

Henderson, Spillane, Jarvis x2, Eagle, Crow. All of these were hyped up and ultimately achived very little. I feel these two are heading in the same direction. They have pace but nothing else.

Best player we have produced in recent times is Martin. Evident from the goals hes scored. Oh and Shackell has had a half decent career

whistleblower wrote the following post at 31/12/2014 5:21 PM:

Jenkins wrote:
Indeed, that''s all it''s about for those guys now, working hard on improving their game. They both have the ability, as many have, it''s the attitude that matters at this stage.

really - apart from scoring a goal in a game (Blackpool) we were already winning I cant remember either of these two doing anything of note for Norwich City in a Championship game. Put them both out on loan to toughen them up and in Jacob''s case - grow up. Id imagine most U12 team mates would be p;d off with a teammate posting on twitter that they were going to lose again let alone professionals whose careers and income depend upon performances. Their role models are the Jarvis brothers - both sets of youth team lads, hyped beyond any reasonable expectation based on what they have actually achieved and ultimately not very good

Yes really, they have natural ability, touch, and the most important thing of all pace. What matters now in terms of their development is their willingness to learn and work hard, even the best players still have to work on their game and practice, practice practice, If they apply themselves they will both have good careers, if they think they are already there, then they will ultimately fail.

Both are talented but neither are ready for anything more than bench warmers and have to get better to ever establish themselves!

I went to the recent U21 game against Liverpool and I thought Josh Murphys atitude stank. He was moaning and looking to blame others when he lost the ball and generally looked like a boy whos believes all the hype and thinks hes made it!

Lovely to see people writing off our own, before they have even had a chance to get established.You''ll be the same ones who destroyed Henderson with your childish booing, I suspect.

I am a Norwich fan living in the North East. A few years ago I watched Sammy Ameobi play for NUFC u21 v Villa in a,FA Youth cup game.He was quite easily the laziest and worst player on the pitch. Now he is a regular in the first team in the Premier league. We have to stick by the Murphy''s. If we don''t get promoted then they will be the future on the left and right. Forget Redmond, Sterling etc. These two will rip teams apart in years to come......hopefully while wearing yellow and green

[quote user="canarycop"]I am a Norwich fan living in the North East. A few years ago I watched Sammy Ameobi play for NUFC u21 v Villa in a,FA Youth cup game.He was quite easily the laziest and worst player on the pitch. Now he is a regular in the first team in the Premier league. We have to stick by the Murphy''s. If we don''t get promoted then they will be the future on the left and right. Forget Redmond, Sterling etc. These two will rip teams apart in years to come......hopefully while wearing yellow and green[/quote]*Like*

["morty"]Lovely to see people writing off our own, before they have even had a chance to get established.You''ll be the same ones who destroyed Henderson with your childish booing, I suspect.

Ball locks!

Not writing them of just staing fact!

I remember a guy behind me about 7-8 years ago, criticising me cause I said Rossi Jarvis is way too lightweight and won''t make it!

Wheres he now?

As for Henderson his Norwich career reached a height in the 2003/04 season when he scored a few goals and made a reasonable contribution. Other than that season he done b u gger all. And no I never booed him or Rossi Jarvis or indeed Ryan Jarvis another very over rated youngster!

Don''t get me wrong I hope both the Murphys make the grade with Norwich, but that is not guaranteed at present and I won''t over rate them just because they are from our academy!

The whole point is that their future is in their own hands, for anyone to right them off shows a cretinous level of understanding.

Hate to do this but the problem I have is how much we hype them up. I look at that teddy bishop at scum who is a fantastic player who at 18 has taken to first team footy like a duck to water. It would be nice of just one of our youth prospects could do that. I wonder if we have good enough coaches getting them in gear for the senior game. At the moment it is to much promise and not enough end product. Simply put, how many goals have been scored by youth prospects in the last decade? Martin in league 1 aside, it''s no more than a handful.

["Jenkins"]The whole point is that their future is in their own hands, for anyone to right them off shows a cretinous level of understanding.

1st sentence is correct!

Again Iam not WRITING (as apposed to right!) them off, just stating what I see and I know that after over 40 years following Norwich and seeing them play at over 100 grounds I trust my gut instinct on most things Norwich City despite Glen Roeder missing my tenure as England manager!

The Murphy boys have potential of that I''ve no doubt but they have to get bettter before they become Norwich regulars. Will that happen? Maybe but Josh Murphy''s body language at the U21''s game stank of "I''ve already made it" and that wasn''t good to see!

Like the previous poster touches on, we have a tendency at Norwich to go over board about youn players because they are from our local Academy and/or are local lads and it becomes wishful thinking assuming theey are definately going to make it. And like the poster also touches on, if they were that good they would have already played many more games than they actually have!

Just for the record I hope they make it and will give them my total support!

[quote user="kingsway"]Both are talented but neither are ready for

anything more than bench warmers and have to get better to ever

establish themselves!

I went to the recent U21 game against Liverpool and I thought Josh

Murphys atitude stank. He was moaning and looking to blame others when

he lost the ball and generally looked like a boy whos believes all the

hype and thinks hes made it![/quote][quote user="kingsway"]

Just for the record I hope they make it and will give them my total support![/quote]I''d hate to see what you have to say about players who don''t have your total support....

Iam a realist who try''s to make opinions without my yellow and green blinkered specs on!

Too many young players at Norwich have been overrhyped in the past and that does more harm than telling a few home truths which I''m sure the coaching staff already know. Ryan Jarvis was meant to be the best thing since sliced bread but it didn''t turn out that way!

Iam fairly certain that any members of the coaching staff will have noticed what I did at the Liverpool U21''s game!

The best young player to come through our youths in my time was Chris Sutton who was an arrogant old so and so but produced and was a regular when he was the same age as the Murphys!

Apologies for getting my right wrong kingsway.

You have only confirmed my point, their future development will be more about them as indeviduals as opposed to the club. The club has got them to where they are now, with a lot of hard work by themselves, but ultimately whether they make it is down to their own attitude and work ethic, we have the skilled coaches to assist them but the coaches can''t make that final step for them.

As I said earlier it is alleged that Josh does display some of the negative characteristics you describe. I guess being a big fish in a small pond is bound to affect how young players perceive themselves, if they were Man U products they would probably not be seen as exceptional amongst their peers, but here they are something special. Nevertheless I do think the Academy tries to keep the young players'' feet firmly on the ground but ultimately attitude comes from within.