Sign in to follow this  
Windy Canary

Could Ricky return?

First of all, Happy New Year to you all!!

With Newcastle now looking for a new manager and having many French players, there is talk that there are looking at Christophe Galtier of St Etienne. Now if this was to happen I wonder where that leaves the deal involving Ricky?

Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere but got a thumping headache so not scrolled through many posts!

I think if Ricky hits 20 goals or more they''ll probably take him - regardless of who is the manager next year. He''s clearly very keen to stay and if he delivers that kind of return they''ll be happy to have him on board. Unfortunately, we''re now in January and I believe that he''s scored 6 goals all season. Given that we''re at the halfway stage he''s therefore on for a haul of 12 goals this season in a side that are right up there at the top of league. Would I be rushing to pay 6 million for him on that showing - probably not to be honest. So the nightmare scenario could still unfold that we''re in the Championship and he returns to us - with 2 years to run on his present contract. It was always a very risky deal for us. If he set Ligue 1 on fire and proved his time at Norwich was blip then 6 million was going to look like a steal. However, if he flopped we''d have to take him back and his value diminishes still further. But ultimately what else could we do? He had a nightmare last season and I still firmly believe that he would get eaten alive in the Championship.

Not sure how relevant 20 goals is - is that average or an excellent season in Ligue 1?    I dont know enough to sense how good that is?

Looking at their current charts rvw has 5 goals in ligue 1,  sitting in joint 17th place in their scoring charts,  and 11th in goals per min played.   top is lacazette with 17;  then one on 12 and a whole host on 8 and below.    In comparison RvW has 3 less than Ibrahimovic, Wass and Diabate, 2 less than  Cavani and 1 less than Eduardo, Cavani and Ayew.   All of these are good players and some are penalty takers. 

He is also his clubs top scorer.   

Whether that is enough for St Etienne to sign him is another matter - but in context it would seem that he may be doing enough to get him permanently of our books.

He is worth what someone is willing to pay for him and unless we are very fortunate it will be about half of what we forked out. I see no prospect whatsoever of him returning here

If adams can get us up then I would want rvw

He will be eager and is a decent player

Do I think grabban and lafferty would have great seasons in the premiership... No I do not and we would be looking for new strikers

Hooper and Jerome are handy but it all depends if adams can do what looks a mammoth task of taking us up this season through the automatic positions.

He seemed up for trying to get us back up, and Adams played him in the Premier. Would like to see him have another go.