Sign in to follow this  
mlmc12345

Cameron Jerome - top signing and our best striker

Dear all,

Dear all,

Here is my piece on why Cameron Jerome is the signing of the summer. Posted the link before but thought if I put the piece in my post more might read it If you like it please follow me on twitter.com/MLMC_123

If the piece provokes you to comment please do so here http://www.footballfancast.com/championship/norwich/is-this-norwich-city-star-the-signing-of-the-summer , as they (my boss! likes to see people comment and interact under the original piece!

Having already notched 11 Championship goals to keep new employers Norwich City in the Championship promotion race, it could be argued that Cameron Jerome is the Championship signing of the summer.

The Canaries poached the striker from Stoke for an undisclosed fee believed to be around £1.5 million, to mixed reaction from City supporters. This concerned Jerome’s lack of reputation as a prolific goalscorer, having notched just twice in 28 games for Crystal Palace last year when on loan. However, Norwich manager Neil Adams did not consider the risk due to his Premier League experience and pedigree, and has been vindicated by the striker’s excellent return thus far.

In the summer transfer window so many Championship clubs panic bought as they chased the promised land of the Premier League, none more so than Fulham. They spent seven times what Norwich spent on Jerome to acquire Ross McCormack, a player without Premier League experience. In contrast, the Canaries have a player with years of top-flight experience, following successful spells at Stoke and Birmingham, yet who is still only 28, so only now arriving into the peak years of his career.

Jerome has settled quickly at Carrow Road and scored goals that have kept Norwich in touch with the play-offs, despite stuttering badly after an excellent start to the season.

The ex-Stoke marksman started by assisting and scoring to help the Canaries seal a remarkable comeback from 2-0 down to win 4-2 at Cardiff City.The striker had come on as a half-time substitute, and was credited by many supporters as being the catalyst in this remarkable turnaround.

Jerome then claimed braces away to Brentford and home to Birmingham, the former including a spectacular long-range strike and the latter rescuing a draw from two goals down. The striker also scored a valuable late equaliser to secure a draw at home to Rotherham, before another brace gained a much-needed win against Bolton, just as the Canaries’ form was beginning to slide. After a quiet patch the striker recently scored in three successive games, notching in-home thrashings of Huddersfield and Millwall, and most importantly scoring an equaliser at promotion contenders Derby.

This campaign is Jerome’s best goalscoring return in nine seasons since 2005-2006, when he announced himself with 20 goals whilst at Cardiff City. This is quite remarkable when you consider we are only halfway through the League campaign. Jerome considers the attacking philosophy and style employed by Norwich manager Neil Adams and it is the the most positive style he’s played under since those early days at Cardiff.

Do not believe that Jerome simply offers goals though, as the striker has brought far more than that.

Pace and power are his primary assets, important for allowing him to be a threat both in the air and on the ground. Although even this season his finishing has by no means been unblemished, Jerome is an unselfish strike who is ideally suited to the physical demands of the Championship.

Jerome is versatile, adept to playing as a lone striker due to his physical presence and ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play. Moreover, he has shown a willingness to work hard for the team and retain his defensive shape, qualities also evident during his stint at a well-drilled Palace side under Tony Pulis last season.

Regardless of future events Jerome has been an outstanding summer signing and this campaign been one of if not the best striker in the Championship. If the Canaries’ top-scorer can combine improved finishing and goalscoring with his obvious other attributes, given that he is now approaching his peak years, there is no reason why he cannot again be a Premier League success next season.

Whether this is with Norwich City or whether he will need to move elsewhere, time will tell. But, without him this season Norwich’s chance of promotion this season would already be all but extinguished.

I like him and all but quite frankly if you did a poll of who Norwich''s best striker was and only asked Cameron Jerome, his mum and his wife, Gary Hooper would still end up with the most votes.

I know what you mean! But currently Jerome has been comfortably our best striker this season. Bor fair point re the promised land,I''m always looking to avoid cliches so will not make that mistake again.