Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Yellow

Just something different...

Evening all, serious question with no sarcasm intended,

What makes you all turn up to Carrow road match days? For me it''s a feeling of being on a different level of existence for 90 mins, despite sometimes coming away feeling negative or wondering why I go, I couldn''t lose that feeling on a match day. Excitement, nerves. Passion

To get away from the old lady whingeing ''n whining  ''n wailing ''n whimpering, to meet my mates whingeing ''n whining  ''n wailing ''n whimpering about the price of a pint, spend the game whingeing ''n whining  ''n wailing ''n whimpering about the team, listen to ''em whingeing ''n whining  ''n wailing ''n whimpering on Canary Call on the way home, then join in the whingeing ''n whining  ''n wailing ''n whimpering on here for the evening.Wouldn''t miss it for the world! [:D]

I love it. I was first introduced to CR 15 years ago when I was 7 and walking into the stadium has stuck with me forever. I love this club and normally whenever I can turn up we get some sort of result (Sorry i worked weekends last year)

Also being someone who is fascinated with the tactical side of football I love getting the full perspective and observing shape/patterns of play/movement/strategies etc.

I can''t explain it, but nothing beats an evening at CR! It''s my earliest good memory and regardless of the result (That gets vented onto the pink un later) I just love it!

If I''m being honest my motivation is twofold.. Firstly, I just absolutely love watching football itself. I love attempting to unpick the various tactical subtlties which are unfolding and discovering new players who excite you and that you can appreciate. In particular, that area of interest increased immensely when Paul Lambert was manager. Due to Norwich playing a wide variety of systems in his time I like to think I became much more aware of the tactical side of the game.The second reason is that the actual day itelf is almost a form of escapism really. You enter a different world almost for the entire day. I head back to Norwich for the day and enjoy the city I spent a happy childhood in, before heading to the ground. Likewise away days allow you to discover a city you''ve perhaps never visited before or would have no cause to otherwise. Is that healthy? Is that rather sad? Probably, but it''s also rather good fun!

]I love it. I was first introduced to CR 15 years ago when I was 7 and walking into the stadium has stuck with me forever. I love this club and normally whenever I can turn up we get some sort of result (Sorry i worked weekends last year)

Also being someone who is fascinated with the tactical side of football I love getting the full perspective and observing shape/patterns of play/movement/strategies etc.

I can''t explain it, but nothing beats an evening at CR! It''s my

earliest good memory and regardless of the result (That gets

vented onto the pink un later) I just love it!

Darth, if your earliest happy memory came at 7 years of age, I feel very sad for you. That was one awful early childhood for you. Bless you for having come out of it a decent young man (as far as I can tell from this forum).

I have no real power or importance in my day to day life, and count for nothing in the eyes of my employer and family who fail to recognise my sacrifices and hard work. I turn up at Carrow Road full of hatred, to scream abuse at the overpaid fannies who have a much better life than me and then come on here afterwards to pick over all their mistakes and failings to make myself feel better about my pathetic life.

Unless we somehow win, in which case I give this place a miss and beat myself raw over Russian Bride websites instead.

The reason I go to CR a few times each season?   I have no other reason to visit Norwich, as most family/friends have moved away to other parts of the country, but the draw of the football is something that has been there regardless of anything else, ever since I left Norwich in 1974.  Your allegiance to your home football club doesn''t change, regardless of anything else that happens in your life.   The only thing that changes is your ability to get  to matches - and that applies to those who live too far away, who can''t go because of committments, finance or infirmity. 

So when I do go, it is extra special.   All the great match experiences swallowed up over the years come a bit more to the fore when I go to CR, so when I go there, I am nearer in spirit to times I used to go with my Dad in the late sixties, the promotion season of 1971/2, the League Cup of 1973, the great years of John Bond, the Milk Cup success, etc etc.  The present is of course what matters most and the successes/failures we have now are just as sweet/painful as they always were, but like any real fan, whether they go every week or whether they never go any more, supporting NCFC is more of a committment than even marriage. It is simply part of your life and you can''t change it, whatever happens in your life and wherever you are.

Great subject this and I love some of the responses many that I identify with big time.

Being an expat and not able to visit Carrow Road very often is for me the one big thing I really miss about the UK, other than the remaining members of my family of course.

From that first match as a 10 year old in 1968 I have had the live football and Norwich City bug, and I try my best to work family trips back and even business around a match if at all possible.

Those who have never been to live football regularly just don''t get it, that match day feeling when everything becomes part of the event.... even where you park your car, the walk down to the ground, the empty ground gradually filling up, the pie, crappy toilets, the seating position killing my knees, the teams warming up and then coming out ready to play....oh and then the match itself.......something you experience at that time, in that place with only those around you.....its special......and I MISS IT!!!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"].....supporting NCFC is more of a committment than even marriage......[/quote]Are you married ?Or should that read until your missus sees this ? [:D][/quote]You can get divorced from a marriage, meet someone else and try again....I''ve not met anyone who once a real supporter, has gone off with another football club....[:S] .   

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"].....supporting NCFC is more of a committment than even marriage......[/quote]Are you married ?Or should that read until your missus sees this ? [:D][/quote]You can get divorced from a marriage, meet someone else and try again....I''ve not met anyone who once a real supporter, has gone off with another football club....[:S] .   

[/quote]Very true about the nuptials but with a combined 82 years on the clock using my current arrangements I''ll probably let things trundle on as they are on both fronts for the time being. [;)]