Sign in to follow this  
JB

Prem vs Championship

I just thought I would post something from a different angle on here. Granted, we are not doing great in the champ, but surely we were more dire in the prem. The point I am making is, yes the prem offers vast sums of money which football is all about these days sadly BUT, as entertainment as foot all indeed is, I think the championship is far more value for money. We go into games with optimism rather than the thought of how much we are going to lose by as we would in the prem and are aiming for glory. In my view, this is more value for my buck as a season ticket holder. The days of being in league one destroying teams and the last time we were promoted to them prem from the champ, we were on the whole entertaining and awesome to watch. I am not saying we should stay put and refuse promotion for example, but if we do stay in this league after this season, is it so bad? Obviously we want to start winning some more but surely there is more chance of this in the champ then the prem where we leave disheartened and annoyed. I not a pessemist, but just looking on some positives of remaining in this league should that happen. It is more entertaining and for us, more chance of being one of the best teams rather than the team everyone beats in the prem. Ideally, we will of course be in the prem and growing as a club, and yes, it can happen, but is not very likely right now. Feel free to slate my "negativity" but I can genuinely see positives, value for money and ente tainment-wise from being in the champ

Excuse some spelling/grammar errors. Typing from a phone with a small screen

I agree on the entertainment and positivity front but not so sure on value for money. No disrespect to Millwall, they happen to be fresh in the mind, but they were simply awful and really brings home the gulf in class between Prem and Champ and to think I''m paying the same amount as I was to watch the world''s best. Assuming we don''t get promoted and it doesn''t look like it does it, expectations next season will be more realistic and we might actually enjoy it more :)

Upper, you have hit the nail on the head with the Millwall thing. They were awful and we had a great day out. We left happy, bouncing and positive. Far more fun than playing Everton, and coming away from CR losers with a poor performance from us.

I enjoyed being in the prem much more, seeing our team go up against the best players in the world, we''re now losing to the likes of Reading with a person who really shouldn''t be manager. I find this season all quite depressing and really just want to know if we are going to get in the prem this season or not, I couldn''t care less about the ''journey'' this season. We just need to win in any way possible.

Yep I''m with MM on this one, when I make my trips back to the UK for the occasional match its the EPL I want to see, Norwich City playing a top team with top players. Its the only place to be, and is great if you accept that we will be tonked occasionally and have to fight to stay in it.....rather than lose to Reading twice and have to fight to get back in it.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Yep I''m with MM on this one, when I make my trips back to the UK for the occasional match its the EPL I want to see, Norwich City playing a top team with top players. Its the only place to be, and is great if you accept that we will be tonked occasionally and have to fight to stay in it.....rather than lose to Reading twice and have to fight to get back in it.[/quote]Thats the rub though Mark, if you''re a fan that goes more often, and paid out a great deal of money going to away games in the Prem, for very, very little entertainment and points haul, then your opinion could well be different.It wore thin spending out hundreds of quid, and arriving home deflated.

My view remains unchanged.  

I love have some of the countries best players in our colours competing against some of the worlds best players - Aguero,  Henry,  Ronaldo at FCR - nothing gets better than that whether we win or not.     May as well get frustrated watching Hull in the prem as Reading in the champs. 

Prem everytime.  

Premiership. Every time.
You might not get the wins you do in the Championship, at the regularity you do. But just how good does it feel when your team have really put it together and beat Man Utd at Carrow Road?
Can''t beat it.

I have enjoyed every single one of the 22 seasons I''ve been supporting Norwich City. I couldn''t give a flying one which division we are playing in. I approach every single match with the excitement of wondering whether we are going to win, lose or draw (stating the bleedin'' obvious, I guess) and enjoy cheering on the boys, regardless of how ''well'' they are playing. If football is solely about being in the feckin'' EPL then why do people bother supporting any other teams? I enjoy the ups and downs of every season and I love it as much as the next guy when we get promoted. But it''s not because we are ''there'' (in the EPL or wherever it may be) but because we (the players, the staff, the fans) have achieved something; together...as a team.

It''s not about bragging rights over me mates (sic) or basking in the reflected glory of being in the EPL. I couldn''t give a fig whether it''s Chelsea gracing the Carrow Road pitch or Accrington Stanley. It''s about watching the team I support giving it a go (and often falling short). But I''ve been around long enough to know that every team has its ups and downs and time in the sun.

Some people appear to me to take football far too seriously. It''s entertainment (regardless of how well the boys are doing at any given time). If you don''t find it entertaining (and it seems to have a detrimental effect of some people''s health and wellbeing), find something else that does entertain you and doesn''t raise your blood pressure.

There are three far more important things in my life; my beautiful wife and my two amazing boys. As long as they are safe, healthy and happy then I am too. What happens on the football pitch is an entertaining distraction; no more than that. EPL or Beazer Homes League (or whatever the feck it is these days); it makes no difference to me. I choose to pay the entry fee (yes; you do have a bleedin'' choice - it''s not the law) and I do not feel the Club are obliged to serve me up EPL football in return. If I don''t like what I am watching for my money I can take it elsewhere.

Happy Clapper signing out (to spend the afternoon with my family).

[quote user="Chip20"]I have enjoyed every single one of the 22 seasons I''ve been supporting Norwich City. I couldn''t give a flying one which division we are playing in. I approach every single match with the excitement of wondering whether we are going to win, lose or draw (stating the bleedin'' obvious, I guess) and enjoy cheering on the boys, regardless of how ''well'' they are playing. If football is solely about being in the feckin'' EPL then why do people bother supporting any other teams? I enjoy the ups and downs of every season and I love it as much as the next guy when we get promoted. But it''s not because we are ''there'' (in the EPL or wherever it may be) but because we (the players, the staff, the fans) have achieved something; together...as a team.

It''s not about bragging rights over me mates (sic) or basking in the reflected glory of being in the EPL. I couldn''t give a fig whether it''s Chelsea gracing the Carrow Road pitch or Accrington Stanley. It''s about watching the team I support giving it a go (and often falling short). But I''ve been around long enough to know that every team has its ups and downs and time in the sun.

Some people appear to me to take football far too seriously. It''s entertainment (regardless of how well the boys are doing at any given time). If you don''t find it entertaining (and it seems to have a detrimental effect of some people''s health and wellbeing), find something else that does entertain you and doesn''t raise your blood pressure.

There are three far more important things in my life; my beautiful wife and my two amazing boys. As long as they are safe, healthy and happy then I am too. What happens on the football pitch is an entertaining distraction; no more than that. EPL or Beazer Homes League (or whatever the feck it is these days); it makes no difference to me. I choose to pay the entry fee (yes; you do have a bleedin'' choice - it''s not the law) and I do not feel the Club are obliged to serve me up EPL football in return. If I don''t like what I am watching for my money I can take it elsewhere.

Happy Clapper signing out (to spend the afternoon with my family).[/quote]

Careful Chips, they will be saying you''re not a proper fan. Perspective is not something this messageboard is known for.

I almost agree with you - except I find our occasional pushing of the self-destruct button incredibly frustrating. In my 50 odd years as a supporter it has happened a few times - just when we are on the cusp of something big, our Board always seems to manage to feck it up.

We should be watching Premier League football - it''s their fault we''re not. It''s also their fault we won''t be next season either.

Now that we''ve lost the chance of getting Pulis in, the best we can hope for is playoffs.

Being in the Prem doesnt have to mean expecting to lose any more than being in a lower division means expecting to win.

Under Lambert, I expected a good show every time, and almost always got it. Under Houghton, I expected a ploddingly dull borefest and almost always hot it. Even after victories, I''d feel glad we won but almost embarrassed by the game itself. Kicking off woth a lineup and strategy to not lose really sucked the excitement out of being a Norwich fan.

The promotion to the Prem year was far more exciting than the 11th place finish year because of our attitude. So was the one Prem season we had with Lambert.

This season we''re all over thd place so it''s more entertaining than the last 2, but frustrating too often.because of the inconsistency.

To add, i''m sure my view would be different if we actually looked like we could go up by playing to our potential. This season has been more deflating than when we went down unfortunately. Hopefully the new year will bring us some luck.

I think we all have a different perspective on this. I can think back over the years of all my great memories from being at the games. They are certainly no way graded by what league we were playing in at the time.

another crazy day in the premier league. West ham look to secure a European spot after a relegation fight last year, Southampton continue to try and get into the top 4 despite losing half their squad. Liverpool mid table at the halfway stage after nearly clinching the title last season. Crazy and unpredictable season in the PL.

It''s all about the money. The longer you are stranded in the Championship the harder it gets. Sponsorship down,TV rights down, gate receipts and club sales down. Can''t attract top players or pay top wages. Lose cat. 1 academy and so the downward spiral goes on.

What concerns me is the downward spiral Felixfan described

Delia has made it clear that we will be operating on a debt free basis in future & as she is not prepared or able to invest in the team, plus she will certainly not allow her shareholding to drop much further (she has 52/54%) this means that no outside investment will be welcome either as if this was to happen they would certainly want to become a shareholder

If her holding drops below 50% she looses power over all aspects of the club - that wont happen at the moment

[quote user="Newton"]What concerns me is the downward spiral Felixfan described

Delia has made it clear that we will be operating on a debt free basis in future & as she is not prepared or able to invest in the team, plus she will certainly not allow her shareholding to drop much further (she has 52/54%) this means that no outside investment will be welcome either as if this was to happen they would certainly want to become a shareholder

If her holding drops below 50% she looses power over all aspects of the club - that wont happen at the moment[/quote]Terrible post that needs several fact checks.%''s incorrect.Always stated that outside investment is welcome.

[quote user="Chip20"]I have enjoyed every single one of the 22 seasons I''ve been supporting Norwich City. I couldn''t give a flying one which division we are playing in. I approach every single match with the excitement of wondering whether we are going to win, lose or draw (stating the bleedin'' obvious, I guess) and enjoy cheering on the boys, regardless of how ''well'' they are playing. If football is solely about being in the feckin'' EPL then why do people bother supporting any other teams? I enjoy the ups and downs of every season and I love it as much as the next guy when we get promoted. But it''s not because we are ''there'' (in the EPL or wherever it may be) but because we (the players, the staff, the fans) have achieved something; together...as a team.

Happy Clapper signing out (to spend the afternoon with my family).[/quote]

This is a very honest post and there are many people who follow the club in this way.

Not me, feel crap for a couple of days after a defeat.

The worry for me is the people who run our club feel the same as Chip20 and couldn''t care less about the quality of players. management and what league we are in.

That''s your opinion Simmo. What I think of your opinion is for you to guess.

Morty, I certainly understand what you are saying here, but I have traveled back from many away games, even a few since being an ex pat and that is a very expensive journey home, having seen dire performances and some tonkings.

But, for me, the game has changed, I like many others watched the team in other times when we were all very happy about the place we were in then, no massive aspirations to be challenging for promotion and even a relegation battle was fun. However, the game has changed, and I have changed too, and these days I want to see the club I support achieve as much as possible, and that means playing at the highest level possible. If, that''s not possible, then fine.....as long as I am happy with them doing the best they can with the resources available to the club at the time........and that''s a problem right now as we see a very stable, well financed football club with a cracking squad...... muck things up royally.

As a fan I really enjoyed our season in division one, real fans and at the time, there was a southern bias to the league, so not too far to travel, plus we had a winning team, but for the club it''s gotta be the Premiership.

[quote user="Felixfan"]It''s all about the money. The longer you are stranded in the Championship the harder it gets. Sponsorship down,TV rights down, gate receipts and club sales down. Can''t attract top players or pay top wages. Lose cat. 1 academy and so the downward spiral goes on.[/quote]Twaddle.Current Championship Top Six1 Bournemouth - in Championship for 2 seasons, never in the "top flight"2 Ipswich - in Championship for 12 seasons after relegation from the Premier League3 Derby - in Championship for 7 seasons after relegation from the Premier League4 Middlesborough - in Championship for 5 seasons after relegation from the Premier League5 Watford - in Championship for 9 seasons after relegation from the Premier League6 Brentford - in Championship for 1 season after 21 seasons in League Two or below

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Felixfan"]It''s all about the money. The longer you are stranded in the Championship the harder it gets. Sponsorship down,TV rights down, gate receipts and club sales down. Can''t attract top players or pay top wages. Lose cat. 1 academy and so the downward spiral goes on.[/quote]Twaddle.Current Championship Top Six1 Bournemouth - in Championship for 2 seasons, never in the "top flight"2 Ipswich - in Championship for 12 seasons after relegation from the Premier League3 Derby - in Championship for 7 seasons after relegation from the Premier League4 Middlesborough - in Championship for 5 seasons after relegation from the Premier League5 Watford - in Championship for 9 seasons after relegation from the Premier League6 Brentford - in Championship for 1 season after 21 seasons in League Two or below

[/quote]

Would you swap with any of them? We are better placed financially and cannot lose that advantage.

[quote user="Felixfan"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Felixfan"]It''s all about the money. The longer you are stranded in the Championship the harder it gets. Sponsorship down,TV rights down, gate receipts and club sales down. Can''t attract top players or pay top wages. Lose cat. 1 academy and so the downward spiral goes on.[/quote]Twaddle.Current Championship Top Six1 Bournemouth - in Championship for 2 seasons, never in the "top flight"2 Ipswich - in Championship for 12 seasons after relegation from the Premier League3 Derby - in Championship for 7 seasons after relegation from the Premier League4 Middlesborough - in Championship for 5 seasons after relegation from the Premier League5 Watford - in Championship for 9 seasons after relegation from the Premier League6 Brentford - in Championship for 1 season after 21 seasons in League Two or below

[/quote]

Would you swap with any of them? We are better placed financially and cannot lose that advantage.[/quote]I agree with you there, but my point is the six clubs at the top of the league have not apparently been hampered by the "downward spiral" (or having never been in a "spiral" in the first place).  Even if we are failing as badly as some on this board think we are, and let''s say we''re top of the league, the next five teams are all Championship "long stays".  Meanwhile Cardiff are below us and Fulham are seventeenth.

I''ve always said that the Championship is far more exciting and far better value for money than the Premiership. I simply can''t get myself up for games vs Chelsea and Arsenal etc, you know 9 times out of 10 you''ll lose and you just know their fans will be plastic tourists with boring chants. Makes me laugh seeing people on here say they''d rather be in the premiership to see the best players in the world come to Carrow, mistake me if I''m wrong but I go to see the Norwich team play, not the opposition. Probably the reason why we''ve got so many booing morons at Carrow Road these days, the atmosphere was superb in league 1 and the championship but unfortunately you get a lot of idiots turn up during the Premiership years.