Sign in to follow this  
Morph

Buy quantity or buy quality?

Overheard a caller to Canary Call on Saturday make some comment about having spoken to Roger Munby about the £1.5 million from the Francis transfer and being told by Munby that there was no point in spending £1.5 million on a player in this division.

If that''s what was said I have to say I''m a little taken aback.

There was a thread previously about Worthy''s penchant for hard working players and how some posters were happy to have people who were prepared to get those noses to the grindstone and work.

Now whilst I sympathise with this notion I think you need to be prepared to take a risk on quality in order to make a difference in the football world. For example, Huckerby in the promotion season. I would say that for this division, a player that can turn a game is crucial for your promotion prospects. Hucks isn''t it this season as teams know how he works.

So should the club continue the Worthy trend for hard working staff and bring in a couple of players for the money or should it push the boat out to bring in a quality player for the middle of the park that could be the difference between 1 point results and 3 point results?

Personally I''m for the latter. Use that transfer money to bring in a quality central midfield player that is capable of orchestrating things when the team is not quite playing the way it should.

But what do you think?

[quote]I''d go for quality every time Morph. Mind you, it just reaffirms what I''ve always said and thought about Munby......clueless![/quote]

Just for the record is there any member of the board,management,coaching staff,pr staff,program sellers,ball boys,hot dog vendors......in fact is there anyone vaguely connected with Norwich City you do like and think they''re doing a good job!

Cos yer startin to come across as Victor Meldrew reincarnated!!

[quote]Just for the record is there any member of the board,management,coaching staff,pr staff,program sellers,ball boys,hot dog vendors......in fact is there anyone vaguely connected with Norwich City you d...[/quote]

I''ve always had a good word for the ball boys and the tea lady at Colney nolegs!.

Come to that, programme sellers as well!.

But the current board members and manager?. No, I think they''re all hopeless.

Bring in Dario Gradi for some sheer skill!.

Given that we need to strengthen the squad in numerous positions on the field, 1.5million isn''t going to go very far.

You''re going to need both quantity and quality but that''s going to be difficult. Would you rather City spend 750k on two average defender + midfielder or the whole 1.5mill on one or the other?

All on one midfielder. The following lineup would be awesome (I reckon)

Bentley would do

Green

Colin/MLJ         Shacks      Flem/Doc     Drury/Charlton

Safri/Hughes

Marney          Jarrett             Hucks/Brennan (if attack/def minded)

Bentley/Hucks

Ashton

We need another quality midfielder. I hate to say it but when Safri went off on Saturday we looked clueless. Hughes and Jarret i think are both more grafters than ball players and will pass the ball sideways and backwards more than forward.

Safri is so crucial to our team, if we do not get another quality CM in i will go as far as to say we will not win automatic promotion. Negative? yes, but he makes such a difference to our play, he creates opportunities as he uses the ball very well and he can dictate play. He is going to the African Nations Cup and we be missing for 5 games i beleive. His abscence could well cost us promotion.

All on one creative midfielder - as I have posted many times before

There is no substitute for class, never has been, never will be - and right now we lack class in the midfield.

As for is there anyone in the structure at Carrow Road who doesn''t come in for a slagging, well I think Delia is pretty awesome and is a great benefit to the Club. Gunny does a good job in the PR department

Quality every time.  Look at the impact THE quality signing of Hux had on this club; single handedly propelled us to the prem.   We are in that situation again if we can get a decent partner for Safri in midfield - my ubiqitous but non-existant creative goal scoring midfielder...

Oh - an we also need the manager to get coaching on the positional probelms like defensive awareness and passing to a yellow shirt for mor than three kicks at a time -- but thats priceless.

OTBC

In a team you want quality all the way through, but unless you are Chelsea you have to have a mix of quality and journeymen, and make a compromise.

If people are suggesting Worthy doesn''t rate quality, how do you justify this when Worthy has brought in Ashton, Hucks, Safri, as well as young talent like Marney and Bentley? All quality players (or with potential for great quality).

We can''t afford 20+ Deano''s, so we need our share of Leon''s too.

Buying young and unproven ''quality'' from lower leagues is one hell of a risk. They might not make the step up, and will be inconsistent. Our boo-boys and moaners aren''t known for their patience with young players, just ask Hendo.

Right now, despite our small squad, I would be wanting 1 quality CM. But who?

Surely it''s more about getting the right person at the right price.. Huckerby cost £750k, Francis £250k, Cooper etc.. all top championship players who can holt (arf) their own in the prem.

These kind of signings won us the league last time and out of favour premiership bargains have done us proud before

Quantity covers the possibility of injury, but quality makes match-winners, whether in dfence, midfeld or attack. We are possibly two good players short of a very good team, CM and CD. With these would have have the strong spine that everyone was talking about.

At the moment we are also short in quantity, - a very thin squad, especially if we have the sort of injuries we had last season, we could have Academy players turning out! We are better covered at right back than we were but the midfield coverage is a cause for concern.

Purchase or loan players of some qaulity for CM and CD would solve both problems.