Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard Buzzard

Adams wasting all of Hughton's good work

Now I know this may not be popular, and that Hughton wasn''t popular here but he did a decent job and took the club to a new financial level. Staying up in 2012/13 guaranteed the club the £60m or whatever for two seasons should we ever go down. The board didn''t allow CH to spend big in his first summer; we never bought a premier league level striker and had the woeful (haha) Harry Kane on loan. This was perhaps wise as other clubs such as QPR had entered the arms race of splashing millions to guarantee safety (haha). Nevertheless after a dodgy start NCFC was comfortable by Christmas and stayed up despite a wobble in the second half of the season. And I''d say we deserved 11th; yes WBA and Man City were on the beach at the end of that season but we''d had some appalling refereeing decisions (Villa away; West Ham away; Arsenal away, Sunderland away) that otherwise would have had us safe by March. So my point is CH kept us up when we had a very weak squad in comparison to others in 12/13 when perhaps Lambert didn''t fancy the tough second year. This financially allowed us to spend at the start of 13/14, but more importantly guaranteed that if we did go down in future we''d do so with one of the best squads in the Championship.

Okay, things didn''t work out but hey, it''s the prem. I don''t think that this point is emphasised enough when we compare the two managers. I''m sure a Hughton team could rip apart woeful Championship teams yet not lose at home to average ones. Relegation was on such small margins (3 more points in the Spring would have kept us up and looking at the Cardiff and WHU away games I''ll never understand how we didn''t take 6 points there). Also who''d have thought RVW would score just once? So CH had a lot in the bank last season that led to the lateness of his dismissal. Adams has nothing in the bank. He has the most expensive and talented squad in the league. The other two teams that came down were in turmoil. Yet we''re not even in the play-offs at Christmas. Players will want to leave and the strong financial position created by Lambert and as importantly Hughton staying up in 2012/13 won''t last much longer. Perhaps into next season but then there will be three more clubs that come down who may not be in as bad positions as Fulham and Cardiff. I''m not saying that Hughton should have stayed on - it would have been too unpopular with the crowd - but I think if he had we''d be in the top two. But with Neil Lennon we''d be in the top one. I''m just saying that financially he put us in a strong position that is being squandered by the incumbent. Adams out.

I was sick to the back teeth by January last year with Hughton. I was convinced he was squandering our talent with his lack of imagination and ambition and needed to be removed.

Well with mostly the same team we''ve looked a pale shadow of the under performing team of last year and I''m happy to admit I was completely wrong. Hughton was right to set us up that way because we''re just not good enough and even in his defensive ways we were a much better team last year.

Yes he nonsensically signed inadequate players who didn''t fit our system but he got so much more out of this team than Adams.

I was wrong, most supporters we''re wrong. He''s a good manager! He just shouldn''t be allowed free licence to run the club and sign whoever he wants.

...Want an example? Us V Reading at home in the 2-1, virtually the same team as this year + Snodgrass we battered that PL team and won. This year with a more offensive set up we''ve caved intro an inferior Reading side and lost twice.

Hughton was sh!t at managing the whole club and the overall philosophy of the team, but he was a far better coach and manager than Adams and I admit being completely wrong about him.

He''s a great guy with one flaw, a poor eye for a player, it''s a shame we didn''t have a decent scouting network that would''ve taken that out of his hands

Its a pity the board or should I say owners are not as quick to concede that they have got it wrong, as the posters on here.

We follow the Gunn appointment with the Adams joke. We delay the removal of Hughton to the point where the replacement has no price and then, less than a year later, delay the appointment of a proper manager long enough to eliminate first season success. Well done gain Mr. McNally - give that man a bonus.

I don''t get why they can''t admit it. Admittedly having a huge wang means I don''t mind accepting defeat or being wrong. But people as well paid as McNally should just admit they made a mistake and find someone else. Male pride is a big factor in us sticking with Adans and its fecking pathetic. I have no problem admitting I was wrong, I was also wrong about Hughton and the strength of out squad...why are our board to stubborn to admit their mistakes?

Jezzard your post says it all - a catalogue of disaster

Lambert leaves because Delia will not give him any money to spend on players as we decide to pay long term debt off first (Disaster)

Hughton arrives & does what he is good at - organising a team & making them hard to beat - we finish mid table

Next season - we give Hughton £25M to spend on transfers - most of his purchases come off except for our forward line - he basically replaces every forward and it flops - between them the new forwards score less than a dozen goals all season. The Board have an option to replace Hughton after Christmas, appoint a new manager and invest in new players but sit on there hands & do nothing. Houghton eventually replaced with 5 games remaining & Delia goes back to plan by putting a long serving member of the club in charge who has no experience of managing adults

Adams somehow confirmed manager in the summer - surrounds himself with people who have almost as little experience as he has - wastes the major part of £17M on player purchases in the summer and 12 months on they are faced with the same scenario

Stick with the current manager or twist - get it wrong and it cost the club £100M plus

What would I do - twist & get someone else in now - we are talking about £100M

Agree with a lot of this. Hughton was a victim of what Premiership football has become for teams like Norwich - boring defensive football and fans expecting/demanding their teams do better. He did of course make mistakes, and as manager needed to be held responsible for the signings made and his back room staff who in opinion were the main problem rather than Hughton himself.

Certain fans understandly vented their frustrations as naturally no fan wants their team to get relegated, but this ridiculous phrase playing ''the Norwich way'' was created which is something the board latched onto and in my view is the main reason Adams was appointed.

The Norwich way ???! - what a load of dreamy tosh ! Norwich haven''t played attractive passing football since Mike Walker the first time round in the early 90''s and people don''t seem to realise that football and Norwich''s place in that has changed beyond all recognition since then. We were obviously successful with Lambert but that wasn''t with good passing, it was because we bullied teams, had a great work ethic, and a striker in his prime. Winning breeds confidence and that took us through the leagues with players playing above their ability. Winning also makes fans easily forgive the way the victory may have been achieved - we won after all.

Was/is Hughton a better manager than Adams - undoubtedly. Did Hughton have to go - yes as a significant proportion of fans had it in for in him and in my view mistook the reality of the premiership for Norwich as his individual shortcomings/ failings as do many other fans at other clubs in our position.

Did we have to appoint Adams? - absolutely not but do believe the birth of the desire for playing the Norwich Way had a major part in it.

After the boredom of the premiership I was actually looking forward to this season but right from Adams appointment and then his appointment of Russell Martin as captain (who as a person believes he is the Norwich Way ) we were always in my view going to struggle - the unnecessary gamble hasn''t paid off and this season is turning into something much more frustrating and disappointing than last as we should definately be doing much better with the resources at our disposal. Last season Hughton was a whisker away from achieving something much more with the resources at his disposal.

[quote user="The Judge"]Agree with a lot of this. Hughton was a victim of what Premiership football has become for teams like Norwich - boring defensive football and fans expecting/demanding their teams do better. He did of course make mistakes, and as manager needed to be held responsible for the signings made and his back room staff who in opinion were the main problem rather than Hughton himself.

Certain fans understandly vented their frustrations as naturally no fan wants their team to get relegated, but this ridiculous phrase playing ''the Norwich way'' was created which is something the board latched onto and in my view is the main reason Adams was appointed.

The Norwich way ???! - what a load of dreamy tosh ! Norwich haven''t played attractive passing football since Mike Walker the first time round in the early 90''s and people don''t seem to realise that football and Norwich''s place in that has changed beyond all recognition since then. We were obviously successful with Lambert but that wasn''t with good passing, it was because we bullied teams, had a great work ethic, and a striker in his prime. Winning breeds confidence and that took us through the leagues with players playing above their ability. Winning also makes fans easily forgive the way the victory may have been achieved - we won after all.

Was/is Hughton a better manager than Adams - undoubtedly. Did Hughton have to go - yes as a significant proportion of fans had it in for in him and in my view mistook the reality of the premiership for Norwich as his individual shortcomings/ failings as do many other fans at other clubs in our position.

Did we have to appoint Adams? - absolutely not but do believe the birth of the desire for playing the Norwich Way had a major part in it.

After the boredom of the premiership I was actually looking forward to this season but right from Adams appointment and then his appointment of Russell Martin as captain (who as a person believes he is the Norwich Way ) we were always in my view going to struggle - the unnecessary gamble hasn''t paid off and this season is turning into something much more frustrating and disappointing than last as we should definately be doing much better with the resources at our disposal. Last season Hughton was a whisker away from achieving something much more with the resources at his disposal.[/quote]If football has changed so much that it''s impossible for a smaller club to be successful playing attractive passing football then explain how Swansea managed to come from a bottom division team to an established top division side within 10 years? Have things got so bad that fans are now harking back to the glory days of the dogsh1t played by Hughton?The problem is we''ve got an unambitious board and clueless owners who''ve put their pet radio commentator in charge of the first team. Adams is little different to Hughton and if by some miracle we got promoted we''d be treated to the same mindless rubbish.

Can''t disagree about Swansea. One club out of how many others ??? They also appointed from within - so are you saying we should stick with Adams.

Don''t know how long you have been going to watch Norwich but I have seen worse football than what we saw last year. Especially when you take in to account the league we were playing in. A lot of people need to wake up and realise apart from the top 8 the premiership is all about survival and scrapping for points which generally leads to defensive boring football. Hughton didn''t help himself but it was about 30% him, 70% the circumstances and individual errors in my view.

As said it got to the point where he had to go because alot of fans at our and other clubs have unrealistic expectations of where there team should be in the football hierarchy and they way they should play to achieve that - just look at the average tenure of managers in the top leagues. I agree if we got promoted it would be the same - but that would be with whoever we had in charge Adams / Hughton - it because that''s what the premiership is like for clubs like ours. Unless Delia sells up to some billionaire Arab you had better get used to it....

Hughton played dull football and was too negative - but even he wouldn''t have played one up front against lower league opposition.

Even during the Luton debacle, Hughton brought on Holt after half time and was playing two upfront.

Yesterday Adams had one up front, created no chances in 45 minutes, and made no changes. Phelan is clueless and shows why no one would give him a managers job.

Adams is perhaps the only manager who could pick so many attacking players and find a system that allows them to create nothing. Indeed, his attacking style is more dreary than Hughtons defensive teams ever were.

Bassong must be chuckling all the way to the bank, especially when Adams chum Martin steps into that brittle centre of the defence.

This is a great first post, and the type of post on which I would usually respond. BUT, right now I am actually feeling the lowest I have for a long time as a City supporter and will only rant and upset people, so best left alone.

What I will say though, is that when I say I am feeling the lowest I have for a long time, I even include the Hamilton, Grant, Roeder, Gunn and the last few months of Hughton''s time with us.

Why? Because not one of those Manager''s had the opportunity our current Manager has when compared to the resources of the other clubs in the league at the respective league at that time, even PL when we were in League One had less at his disposal.

This right now is the biggest let down for a long long time, and I just don''t get why more people dont see it!

Hughton had a decent 10 match spell in two years.

We survived in his first season with less points than Lambert achieved and only topped our previous final table position due to a freak last day win against a Man City side with nothing to play for and Mancini half way through the exit door.

Once the momentum from Lambert''s reign stopped fuelling us (by January 2013) we looked very poor. We were SO weak in the second half of that season that Hughton should have gone in the summer.

The less said about his 2nd season the better. Perhaps it can best be summed up by our defeat to a conference side in the Cup at home.

Don''t let time fade your memory of reality. Hughton was NEVER the man to replace Lambert and he is HUGELY responsible for our demise.