Sign in to follow this  
50 years a Supporter

Who Else Cares - then why should I?

I know most of this has been said before and I apologise in advance for upsetting people by starting a new thread to say it all again, but I woke up this morning with a sudden realisation that is crystal clear in it''s simplicity.The fans care - obviously - but who else at the club does? The board - no - as long as they are debt free and can keep selling season tickets to those optimistic enough to think that we might just stumble on a winning streak, their objective is met. The players - no - as long as they draw their £X,000 a week wages why should they care? Indeed most could argue a case for not getting promotion as it would invariably mean that they would be looking for another club as soon as their contracts expire as they are blatantly not good enough to hold their own in the PL.  Neil Adams - yes, I am sure he does, but he is in a small majority ambition wise and does not yet have the skill or the attributes to manage or motivate adults to do more than the minimum they can possibly get away with.Why then should I waste my energy and emotion in hoping for a promotion push? Why not just accept that the word "ambition" has been banned from "little ol'' Norricdge" and adopt the "if you can''t beat them join them" philosophy and accept that there''s a football game at Carrow Road every other week or so if I want to invest the time or money (or both)  to follow overpaid entertainers milk their audience. It''s the same attitude with which my wife approaches each episode of East Enders - where she can just smile, complain how ridiculous it is, and then forget it until the next one? If I want a hobby where creativity and achieving something is possible, perhaps I should look to painting, or model aircraft building?

Talking about painting. Watching it dry may be more enjoyable than what Adams has been serving up this season !!!

canarycop wrote the following post at 04/01/2015 10:45 AM:

Talking about painting. Watching it dry may be more enjoyable than what Adams has been serving up this season !!!

There are some Scummers on the board who at least try to cover up their smell, but you my man come out with a clear air of septic sludge.

go careful with the model aircraft building.

it is easy at first to buy a cheap starter kit, it may be readily available from the local shop, comes with all the necessary paints, brushes and glue to build the model, albeit possibly small in size. But, after a while you would consider buying a more expensive kit, perhaps of larger size or scale, or then needing to purchase the small tins of paint individually. Perhaps as time passes you may consider model spray-gun paint application rather than olde skool brushing.

then you will crave a different type of aircraft, perhaps a red arrows kit, or a second world war plane - one which somehow reminds you of a previous stage in life, maybe when as a child... then you realise that the model you currently have isnt actually as good as the one from several years ago, it lacks the lead coating... the paint finish isnt what you used to have, or the previous model looks better because it was built for a more attack oriented scenarios. The current version is more flimsy and not fit for purpose. Then maybe you''ll get fed up of the hobby completely, decide you want to get rid of the model, but have no idea what new hobby you want to fill your time....

Could never get into building the little Spitfires, always got glue on the plastic bit that goes over the pilot, poor little chap could never see out, no wonder they crashed when I threw them out of my bedroom window.

Could be right there djc ................... need to find something that has ambitions for itself and gives something back .... any suggestions?

P.S. Even in the "good old day''s" the sun didn''t shine as brightly as it could. I remember tale of David Stringer saying to Robert Chase "buy me a top class striker and I''ll win you the league" to which the Chairman replied "I don''t want you to win the league. All you''ve got to do is stay in the division." It went downhill from that point for that dynasty too. You''d have thought then that someone at the club would have learnt something ......

Perhaps we should all take up shopping at the weekend instead.  See what we can acquire with a limited budget, or go for broke and put the whole lot on credit, hoping we might marry a rich financier instead who can clear our debts.  I suspect our decision making with our own money would be rather different to our proposed decision making for the club''s money.

You don''t have to be rich to be successful (although it does make it easier) but you do need a passion and a desire to improve your lot - and I don''t see any of that in our board or the majority of our players. They are comfortable enough where they are, and any movement (up or down) is a threat to that status quo...

So, in summary:Fans - ambitious, passionate, want the best for their clubPlayers - unambitious, do the minimum required, no passion for success, don''t care about the clubManager - ambitious, passionate, but lacks skill and management capabilityCoaching Staff - see managerBoard - unambitious, goal is remaining debt free, no passion for/interest in on-pitch success

So do you think that McNally was lying when he said the goal is an immediate return to the Premier League?

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 04/01/2015 1:18 PM:

So, in summary:

Fans - ambitious, passionate, want the best for their club

Players - unambitious, do the minimum required, no passion for success, don''t care about the club

Manager - ambitious, passionate, but lacks skill and management capability

Coaching Staff - see manager

Board - unambitious, goal is remaining debt free, no passion for/interest in on-pitch success

So do you think that McNally was lying when he said the goal is an immediate return to the Premier League?

Bor Bor

McNally does what he is told - he is a paid employee of the club - much of what he says is not his personal opinion

By the appointment of Adams many of us thought that the club was showing a lack of ambition

Whats your view / opinion ??????????????????

Cant see one - have u got one ???????

[quote user="50 years a Supporter"]Not lying exactly, but perhaps "wish" would be a more appropriate word than "goal"  ...... let''s put it this way, if it really is my "goal" to win the lottery I''d do more than buy one line a week.[/quote]Bor BorSorry, I didn''t answer you''re question. My view doesn''t matter - which was the point of my original post - as I have absolutely no influence on events. I do, however, invest time and emotion, and find the current state of affairs so depressing that I question my sanity in continuing to do so. If the board don''t care, and the players don''t care ... why should I?Ideally I''d like a clear out of the dead wood, and the mercenaries, and the time servers but that''s as likely as Turkey''s voting for Christmas, so what choices do I have left?

Norwich City FC, is a family run club/business.......except, that some are deemed more family than others.....

I''m sure the business/football club value your money/support, as we were told that we are the ''beshtest fushball fan''s in the shworld''......

But, unless there is to be a mass exodus of the 21,000+ regular annual contributor''s to the ''Canary Coffers''......A minority of disillusioned and departing Airfix assemblers wouldn''t affect the thoughts of those that run the rule and oversee the family......But, I''m pretty certain that when I hand over the best part of £850.00 for my next 9 months instalment of pure pleasure whatever league we are to be playing in (and, hopefully before the 1st deadline).....I''ll be welcomed with open arms back into the family fold.....Then to take my padded pew, knowing that I''m a true fan.....or just another gullible gonad.....But hey, "That''s Fushball!"

Opinions my man are what it is all about and yours my man obviously does not match mine. Can you say hand on heart you have enjoyed watching many of this season''s games ? Out of the cups to lower league opposition apart in some games this season we have been dire......my man

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Norwich City FC, is a family run club/business.......except, that some are deemed more family than others.....

I''m sure the business/football club value your money/support, as we were told that we are the ''beshtest fushball fan''s in the shworld''......

But, unless there is to be a mass exodus of the 21,000+ regular annual contributor''s to the ''Canary Coffers''......A minority of disillusioned and departing Airfix assemblers wouldn''t affect the thoughts of those that run the rule and oversee the family......But, I''m pretty certain that when I hand over the best part of £850.00 for my next 9 months instalment of pure pleasure whatever league we are to be playing in (and, hopefully before the 1st deadline).....I''ll be welcomed with open arms back into the family fold.....Then to take my padded pew, knowing that I''m a true fan.....or just another gullible gonad.....But hey, "That''s Fushball!"

[/quote]Will the days of 13k gates ever return?Ah, those were the days, you could wander about in the South Stand at your leisure and even change ends with the team at half time.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Will the days of 13k gates ever return?

Ah, those were the days, you could wander about in the South Stand at your leisure and even change ends with the team at half time.
[/quote]

Haven''t been going to Carra as long as many that contribute to this forum have.....but.....

I remember in the eighties turning up at the Barclay terrace turnstiles less than 10 minutes before kick-off and paying to get in to see the likes of Liverpool, Spurs etc.....Then at fulltime running up to the Kingsway to see the goals on a telly perched on a cabinet in the bar. No need for a season ticket then......We didn''t return to 13,000 gates when we fell to our lowest position in 50 years less than 6 seasons ago......Wonder why? Because if we had, would the majority shareholding duo still be in control of the club? Who knows...Eh?

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]Will the days of 13k gates ever return?Ah, those were the days, you could wander about in the South Stand at your leisure and even change ends with the team at half time.[/quote]

Haven''t been going to Carra as long as many that contribute to this forum have.....but.....

I remember in the eighties turning up at the Barclay terrace turnstiles less than 10 minutes before kick-off and paying to get in to see the likes of Liverpool, Spurs etc.....Then at fulltime running up to the Kingsway to see the goals on a telly perched on a cabinet in the bar. No need for a season ticket then......We didn''t return to 13,000 gates when we fell to our lowest position in 50 years less than 6 seasons ago......Wonder why? Because if we had, would the majority shareholding duo still be in control of the club? Who knows...Eh?

[/quote]In all probability there wouldn''t be a club or if there was we would be enjoying derby games with Luton or Colchester.In the past, gates always faded away during the bad times. This all changed after 2000 and I still don''t know why.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]Will the days of 13k gates ever return?Ah, those were the days, you could wander about in the South Stand at your leisure and even change ends with the team at half time.[/quote]

[/quote]In all probability there wouldn''t be a club or if there was we would be enjoying derby games with Luton or Colchester.In the past, gates always faded away during the bad times. This all changed after 2000 and I still don''t know why.[/quote] we have become a football fan version of the stepford wives... docile and zombie like and behaving perfectly so as not to embarrass the club and loyally parting with our hard earned every season no matter what....

I find it strange that the OP has been "50 years a supporter" but only questions the point of supporting the club after an FA Cup exit to Preston while we are in touching distance of the playoffs. Why didn''t you give up after our relegation to League One, or the dreadful Roeder/Gunn season, or our exit to Luton Town while in the premier league relegation zone etc etc.?

If you stuck those seasons out, why is this (our current plight) so much worse and the tipping point?

Stupid though it may be, this is the first time since the days of Tommy Bryceland and Gordon Boland that I have really thought that two of the three critical factors (i.e. the players - or at least the majority of them - and the board) really lack the passion or the heart to "go for it" with everything they reasonably have. They seem content with the half hearted - i.e. mid table mediocrity, minimum debt, and a steady (if unchallenging) future. We have had a clear lack of talent before (in all three areas) but never, to my recollection, such a blatant lack of the desire to win.Of course I''ll still follow their fortunes but, as with children when they become adults, you can''t impose your values and aspirations onto them - you have to accept that they will make their own decisions, many of which you wouldn''t have made in their place, for values that they hold dear but which you don''t necessarily agree with. Maybe it has been like this before, and I just haven''t seen it? Maybe it is me that has changed? Either way I can''t find it in me any more to invest emotion and aspiration into individuals that don''t seem to share my passion or goals (no pun intended), nor do I think they are worthy of it. I am hoping things change and "we" at least start to try again but, until then, I''ll stand back, paint landscapes and build model Spitfires.

It''s hard when you get the impression that there is a lack of passion on the field, I agree 50 years, it was a miserable trip back from Reading and I am sure even more so for the hero''s that went to Preston.

That is why I''m so fervently advocating Adams''s immediate replacement. Fans will tolerate a lack of quality, they grin and bear it often with good humour. I was rarely furious at our team during the last decades dark times, it was just...well we''re crap and have no money, it''s nice when we win but no amount of shouting is going to change our overall fortunes.

Fans will not tolerate a lack of effort, desire and work rate from players like we are getting very often under Adams. The amount of times we''ve just not turned up is ridiculous, as is the fact our team still has the exact same weaknesses it had at the start of the season, the lack of direction and performances that have lead to us being cut adrift have not been addressed and despite that fact we''ll always pick up some results will, over the course of the next half a season keep us out of the promotion race, yet for some reason we''re sticking with a man who has proven, beyond doubt that he''s not up to it?

Madness. Or I suspect, sheer apathy and disinterest in the stress of being a PL club again.

We could very well win at Bournemouth next week, we could also thrash some teams again over the course of the season under Adams...because we''re capable of that when on our game.

But for more than that we will fail to turn up, get played off the park by more motivated sides, have our fragile shape and defence penetrated with ease by very simple patterns of play, chop and change personel because too many don''t care and Adams can''t find our best team etc and overall fade into mediocrity.

Keeping your job by just scraping by proves you aren''t the man for the job, he can''t solve our issues, we can''t replace the whole team but someone like Rosler might. We have nothing to gain by sticking but a chance of improvement by twisting. I''m baffled the board and everyone else can''t reach this conclusion

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 04/01/2015 7:12 PM:

I find it strange that the OP has been "50 years a supporter" but only questions the point of supporting the club after an FA Cup exit to Preston while we are in touching distance of the playoffs. Why didn''t you give up after our relegation to League One, or the dreadful Roeder/Gunn season, or our exit to Luton Town while in the premier league relegation zone etc etc.?

If you stuck those seasons out, why is this (our current plight) so much worse and the tipping point?

Cant stop it Bor can u = the only thing I find strange is that on a board which is supposed to represent peoples views & opinions u AGAIN do not express any

Mine are - give it 3/4 years with the current owners & we will be back in L1 in debt

Bor get a life & move to some other board - u have nothing to add of any value on this one

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]In all probability there wouldn''t be a club or if there was we would be enjoying derby games with Luton or Colchester.In the past, gates always faded away during the bad times. This all changed after 2000 and I still don''t know why.[/quote]I suspect there are various reasons, including socio-economic factors. Society has changed and with it the make-up of football crowds. But also football''s place in English society has changed from being the preserve of what was the working class and - less understood - the upper class to cover all current (less clearcut) classes.But specifically as far as NCFC is concerned Smith and Jones and Doncaster targeted the non-traditional areas of potential support and increased and solidified long-term commitment with attractive ticketing packages. The supposed downside of this, as expressed by Bowkett shortly after coming on board, was that there were too many concessionary deals. Possibly, but it was those deals that helped keep full or near-full houses even in the third tier, and now in the second tier. It is no accident we have - so far - held on to supporters in the way we did not in the past.