Sign in to follow this  
FCC

£ for £ RVW or Lafferty?

I''d say RVW from what we have seen so far.

Nothing against Lafferty - but while RVW struggled in the Premier, Lafferty can''t score in the Championship.

I would have liked Lafferty to play from the start yesterday as the one man up front and then we could have seen whether he has some qualities. Unfortunately for him he hasn''t been given many opportunities but when he has, he hasn''t really grasped the nettle. Disappointment.

Cash them both in - while Adams manager he wont start with either - thats clear (even if Wolf was back) & we dont need them

Why did he buy Lafferty - basically the same type of player as grabham & Jerone ? God knows because I am sure he dont

But then the same could be said for most of the £17M splashed out in the summer - majority wasted ?

From what I have read San Miquel is another waste of money (we paid £1.5M for a 21 year old from Arsenal who was given the run around by a League 1 winger) - great buy Neil

But thats another thread

Hooper was half asleep for the one pass he could run on to. The rest of the time, no matter how quick Redmond is, we have no options in the middle. Midfielders don''t break into the box so we end up going back to Whittaker and passing the ball aimlessly in front of two banks of four.

Redmond seldom gets a ball played behind the defender to run onto and use his pace. It is always to feet,so he has to control it and then beat the man.

I wish we would be more direct like Germany, than passing for passing sake like Spain. (I accept we aren''t that good - but the German style of play creates more chances.)

Unless Lafferty gets a few games up front we won''t know the answer to that,but the fact remains that 99% of the players we have signed in the last 3 years or so have been a waste of space.

Lafferty is worth no more than £1.0m and RVW no more than £3.5m. We''ve paid over double what each is worth but the cheaper one isn''t someone you''d aspire to get if you were looking to be ambitious.

Lafferty was terrific early in the season, showed he had heart, ability and tactical awareness. Good on the left, where he has played a good part of his career, he has come very close to scoring with accurate shots - and is excellent at free kicks (apart from one where he slipped).  In a good team set up and a bit of luck, could have featured more.   A good player to have in the squad and may become a "first name on the team sheet" player.  I hope so because the team lacks a bit of character atm.

Lafferty is a Heskey type of forward - a target man who holds the ball up well to allow others to make forward runs but will not score frequently. He has not generally betel played in that central forward role and consequently hasn''t really shown what he can do. Whether we needed him is debatable..

RVW was given just about enough opportunities in his correct position to show what he could do, and Lafferty clearly has not, so no way a comparison can be made.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Lafferty was terrific early in the season, showed he had heart, ability and tactical awareness. Good on the left, where he has played a good part of his career, he has come very close to scoring with accurate shots - and is excellent at free kicks (apart from one where he slipped).  In a good team set up and a bit of luck, could have featured more.   A good player to have in the squad and may become a "first name on the team sheet" player.  I hope so because the team lacks a bit of character atm. [/quote]
He was good early on in the season but certainly not terrific. He helped balance out the side a bit on the left. I''m not sure you can say he''s excellent at free kicks, I only remember one which hit the post and Jerome tapped in.
He''s yet to score - does he even have any assists? It''s clear to see why Johnson is further ahead of him in the pecking order on the left hand side.

Jenkins wrote the following post at 04/01/2015 11:09 AM:

Everyone seemed really pleased with our transfer activity

--------------------------------------------------

''transfer activity'' equates to more than one player.

on the subject of Lafferty, like i''ve said before, we need a 4th choice striker (remember wilbraham) and Laffs isn''t a bad one to have.

given the relative divisions its hard to see that there is much between them (or Hooper, Grabban or many signings)

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 04/01/2015 2:10 PM:

Jenkins wrote the following post at 04/01/2015 11:09 AM:

Everyone seemed really pleased with our transfer activity

--------------------------------------------------

''transfer activity'' equates to more than one player.

on the subject of Lafferty, like i''ve said before, we need a 4th choice striker (remember wilbraham) and Laffs isn''t a bad one to have.

Perhaps we should have concentrated on signing players who fitted into the style of play we wanted to adopt rather than getting so called ''better players'' who were available and trying to get them to play to that set style of play ................ providing of course we knew what style of play we wanted to adopt because this season I am completely unsure what we are trying to do on the pitch as it seems to change every match!

I would say Lafferty. Even allowing for the Hughton factor, I thought RvW was the least talented forward I''ve seen in a Norwich shirt since I started watching in 1972 (but Coney is also worth a shout in this regard).

Not a great fan of Lafferty, but disappointed he''s been played out of position by Adam''s most of the time (well his preference is as a target striker)He plays well there for Ireland. Very disappointing neither Grabban or Laffs were given that solitary striker berth against Preston, if not just to rest Hooper (& play two other strikers in their preferred positions)But thats Adams for you!

[quote user="mrs miggins"]this sums up ricky''s time here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQzE8t3CnPc[/quote]

I was there that day sitting right at the front about 2 yards from RVW.......the memory of that ghost pass will never be forgotten

Jenkins wrote the following post at 04/01/2015 4:42 PM:

Better it changes YW than sticking with a system that doesn''t work a la CH.

What has CH to do with it?

Do you really think the number of different formations and systems we have played this season has helped us?

I sit near you then I reckon.

The look on my face when that happened was priceless apparently :) I was speechless for the rest of the match.

Best thing about those seats is when Zola scored against us in 2003 with a back heel from a corner, beauty.

Now then YW, I prefer to see us trying different things than being stuck in a system that''s clearly failing.

Do you think sticking with something that doesn''t work would help us this season?

Jenkins wrote the following post at 04/01/2015 6:29 PM:

Now then YW, I prefer to see us trying different things than being stuck in a system that''s clearly failing.

Do you think sticking with something that doesn''t work would help us this season?

Yes Jenkins, I am happy to see us trying something different if a system isn''t working.

I''m just a little bit hissed off that after trying so many different systems we still haven''t found one that the manager seems happy with.

Does he have any idea what his preferred system is yet?

If the system fails you try something else, wouldn''t you do that.

I think he thought he had a system that worked till we put in a shit performance at Reading.

How many different systems has he played this season?

4231 was by far the most effective. Grabban was playing up front and, with his mobility and pace, was doing a good job. Unfortunately Jerome is a better finisher and scored a few when coming on and from that moment 4231 was doomed!

Jerome, it seems, plays better with a strike partner so Hooper came in, because of that we went to a 442. That did not fully work because in Johnson and Tettey we had two holding midfield players and Lafferty was not suited to that system so Hoolahan was fitted in on the left for another system. Howson became available so he was fitted in, again to the detriment of the team play.

Again a few more changes since then.

When will he make his mind up?

He needs to quickly find a settled system and get players in who can play that way. If it means moving one or two of our ''better'' players out to get players better suited to a system that he wants to play then that is what must be done.