Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Time to think big....

I`m sorry i just can`t bring myself to post on the managerial candidate`s thread, the suggestions are just laughable, after awful appointments we have had do we really want Warnock or Phelan or some other no-mark??

Do we have to think " little Norwich" or why don`t we go after someone who will make the players and fans sit up and take notice, now i know i am going to be shot down as inevitably you do on this forum, but McNally think out of the box and maybe someone who has never played for us a fresh perspective.

I know it looks like a shortage of managers out there but i bet there are a few gems who just might see us as a good horse to back, debt free, good squad and not badly placed.

So come on lets dream a little for a change and no more of these dreadful names being bandied about.

Tin hat on !!!!

I think you''ll find I thought of multiple different avenues, from european managers to indeed people like Warnock. I think Oscar Garcia would be a nice compromise.

Garcia maybe, perhaps someone like Koeman from abroad, obviously not him but a foreign coach with a different perspective.

As was proved by Adams and to a certain extent there is absolutely no way if knowing what you''re gonna get.

Who is to say that any of the suggestions already made wouldn''t turn out to be what we need, whose to say that some big named foreigner would make it a success.

Whoever we get in, we all have to hope that they can salvage this season and turn things around quickly. We certainly have the squad (on paper) to do it, just need someone to motivate them enough to want it.

For me there are to many that don''t want to be here, yes they make the right noises but then of course they would, they get their wages paid by the club.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]I`m sorry i just can`t bring myself to post on the managerial candidate`s thread, the suggestions are just laughable, after awful appointments we have had do we really want Warnock or Phelan or some other no-mark?? [/quote] I agree - isn''t there something very odd that most of the suggestions thus far are hardly earth shattering or an improvement on what we''ve just had.Fans go on & on about how the board should scour Europe & then when they have a chance to suggest a new man they''re all plumping for the usual suspects like Warnock.Then there''s the real dumb one who suggest the likes of McCarthy, Lennon, Lambert & Howe - none of which we''re going to get anyway.

all appointments will have an area of criticism. Whether its no UK or championship experience or periods of failure elsewhere all will have a weak spot.

And whether they succeed or not is pretty much a lottery.

The requirements are straightforward - create an organised and motivated team to obtain automatic promotion in 4 months - with acceptable performance being a play off spot.

Whether the best option de boer, Warnock, sherwood, robinson, holty, howe, mccarthy, phelan, garcia, holloway or hoddle we wont until too late.

I cant think we will know before this weekend (may as well use that as a live test for phelan) but hope that whoever plan b in mcnally the board black book has already been contacted.

[quote user="ricardo"]Surely Phelan is odds on. They didn''t bring him in to ditch him 5 minutes later.[/quote]He doesn''t necessarily have to be ditched, ricardo. Not all managers come with a team of coaches. Some are happy to work with those already there.And since the three unquestionably failed (at least as it turned out) managerial appointments Smith and Jones have made have been the three (and there are only three, despite the myth) times a coach with no managerial experience has been bumped up then my (optimistic) hope is that they will not do that a fourth time.

Purple how did u know Adams was being offered another post with the club in the summer a full 2 hours before he actually resigned ?

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 05/01/2015 11:06 AM:

ZippersLeftFoot wrote:

I think Ricardo is right on the £10m (unless we sell first)

However if we keep the squad together is that much additional transfer kitty needed?    We are an attractive clubto manage and within touching distance of a large summer transfer kitty if they are good enough to get us promoted.

While £10m may not be available - enough for a key signing or loanee is probably available for a key push.

And if the manager is appointed too late a budget will not be needed anyway...

. Adams would, as promised in the summer, be found some kind of job at Carrow Road, assuming he wanted to stay.

Not quite sure why Warnock, a manager who has taken teams up from the Championship (which incidentally is the job in hand) is "laughable" or representative of "Little Norwich", whereas a vague foreign manager similar to, but definitely not, Koeman, is the way forward and "big" thinking? 

I''m intrigued. What sort of "different perspective" should we be looking for? 

Sorry is that Warnock who failed miserably at Leeds then crashed and burned with Crystal Palace or is there another Warnock? His best days are gone and dinosaur methods as defunct as a T-rex !!!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Surely Phelan is odds on. They didn''t bring him in to ditch him 5 minutes later.[/quote]He doesn''t necessarily have to be ditched, ricardo. Not all managers come with a team of coaches. Some are happy to work with those already there.And since the three unquestionably failed (at least as it turned out) managerial appointments Smith and Jones have made have been the three (and there are only three, despite the myth) times a coach with no managerial experience has been bumped up then my (optimistic) hope is that they will not do that a fourth time.[/quote]It looked obvious at the time that Phelan had been brought in as the fallback guy in case Adams had to go quickly. That now seems to have happened. I can''t believe that McNally wasn''t thinking ahead and getting his bases covered for just this eventuality. He''s too smart a cookie for that.If it isn''t going to be Phelan then there was no point in bringing him in at all.

Tim Dawson wrote the following post at 05/01/2015 4:47 PM:

Sorry is that Warnock who failed miserably at Leeds then crashed and burned with Crystal Palace or is there another Warnock?

------------------------------------------

no I don''t think that''s who you''re thinking of.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Garcia maybe, perhaps someone like Koeman from abroad, obviously not him but a foreign coach with a different perspective.[/quote]I''m sure Wolves had the same idea when they drafted in Ståle Solbakken. [:|]

Think big eh!? Ok how about Laudrup, Lennon, Howe, McCarthy ( for comedy value and is proven at this level) or the currently available Rosler who was my choice in the summer.

I still fancy thomas tuchel - but suspect we would need to be in the prem to attract him - but if you dont ask...

or get warnock to to get us promoted; then sack him to attract tuchel...

Can''t believe no one has seen the obvious candidate that''s staring us in the face. Sir Alex Fergusson, bored with retirement and his assistant is already on the pay roll! Happy days!

thas a rummun wrote the following post at 05/01/2015 5:34 PM:

Jurgen Klopp will do.

Go get him, Delia.

Kloppy Kloppy give us a wave!

Mmm not sure.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Surely Phelan is odds on. They didn''t bring him in to ditch him 5 minutes later.[/quote]He doesn''t necessarily have to be ditched, ricardo. Not all managers come with a team of coaches. Some are happy to work with those already there.And since the three unquestionably failed (at least as it turned out) managerial appointments Smith and Jones have made have been the three (and there are only three, despite the myth) times a coach with no managerial experience has been bumped up then my (optimistic) hope is that they will not do that a fourth time.[/quote]It looked obvious at the time that Phelan had been brought in as the fallback guy in case Adams had to go quickly. That now seems to have happened. I can''t believe that McNally wasn''t thinking ahead and getting his bases covered for just this eventuality. He''s too smart a cookie for that.If it isn''t going to be Phelan then there was no point in bringing him in at all.[/quote]That doesn''t follow. The prime reason may have simply been that Phelan was a good choice to give Adams the experience he lacked. I am not oblivious to the notion that there may have been a dual purpose here, with Phelan as a possible replacement if Adams didn''t work out. And that could well happen, although I hope it does not  But there was certainly a point in hiring Phelan simply as  a coach.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I still fancy thomas tuchel - but suspect we would need to be in the prem to attract him - but if you dont ask...

or get warnock to to get us promoted; then sack him to attract tuchel...[/quote]Just found out he is on a sabbatical, but Newcastle are sniffing.Use Phelan to get us up. Get Tuchel in summer and move Phelan back to coach. [url]http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/02/thomas-tuchel-newcastle-steven-taylor[/url]

Martin O''Neill would be a decent candidate but number one choice would be Eddie howe but would take some convincing to leave a high flying Bournemouth side right now