Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Mick dennis article on my football writer

Really wanted us to go all out to land Rosler in the summer so although this season went pear shaped I think it would be a better appointment than just handing it to Phelan.

Still my view:I think anyone calling for Adams to be sacked

needs to suggest a viable and available alternative. After we lost at

home to Reading I formed the view that we should approach Rosler and see

if he was willing to take the job and - ideally - was willing to work

with Phelan. If doubly so, and probably even if not doubly so - then

sack Adams and appoint Rosler.

What is the deal with Rosler???.

Done ok at Brentford , went to Wigan which didn''t go well, lost the backing of the players(grant Holt mentioned this). And promptly got sacked!!. Not exactly a stand out CV???

I dont really see the Rosler thing either, but maybe I am missing something. Several good posters seem to be backing him, I would like to know why?

[quote user="Angry man"]What is the deal with Rosler???.

Done ok at Brentford , went to Wigan which didn''t go well, lost the backing of the players(grant Holt mentioned this). And promptly got sacked!!. Not exactly a stand out CV???[/quote]No, but we don''t get to pick from the list of managers with stand-out CVs. We get to pick from the likes of Rosler. As I understand it Rosler had some key players sold from under him at Wigan, which didn''t help. He is an experienced manager, he has a decent record, he knows the Championship, he is available, and we would, I suspect, be a reasonably attractive proposition for him. In other words he ticks all the boxes any manager we are likely to get could tick. But by all means suggest someone else.

That''s quite ironic what you''ve put there Jenkin''s, after your 9 months of worshipping neil adam''s but then asking what Rosler''s got. Highly amusing

Maccy''s Back wrote the following post at 05/01/2015 8:27 PM:

That''s quite ironic what you''ve put there Jenkin''s, after your 9 months of worshipping neil adam''s but then asking what Rosler''s got. Highly amusing

Well when you''ve picked yourself up Maccy I would appreciate your expert opinion on Rosler''s qualities.😃

Rather than rosler, I would suggest that we want a manager who has achieved promotion in the championship previously, otherwise we risk doing what forest have done various times for the last 15 years.

mccarthy, pulis, and warnock are the three most successful managers of recent times at pulling clubs out of this mire, I believe.

I also believe* that McCarthy has managed more promotions to the premiership than anyone else in the last 15 years. Playing devils advocate, I wonder if there''s a bag of cash big enough to pull him away from his work at ipswich ?

* I will check the facts shortly - last time I checked this was about 5 seasons ago...

In the summer we could have had all those managers blahblahblah but now only Warnock would come. Experience of Warnock or potential of Rosler? Tough call that one.

I don''t really get the love-in for Rosler either, he had one good season at L1 and a very ropey one and a bit in the Champs. If we are meant to be looking out for a proven/better manager, do we really want a guy who failed at Wigan with what was a rather good ex PL squad?

But as with whoever it is, we have to give him our full backing or there really isn''t any point.

Jenkins, I''d prefer Mario been personally but Rosler has at least managed a team of adults before and seen as how you''ve been quite happy all season so far I doubt he''ll offer anything less than adam''s do you?

Maccy''s Back wrote the following post at 05/01/2015 8:41 PM:

Jenkins, I''d prefer Mario been personally but Rosler has at least managed a team of adults before and seen as how you''ve been quite happy all season so far I doubt he''ll offer anything less than adam''s do you?

Thanks Maccy, just wondering what criteria you were using to form a view.

[quote user="Jenkins"]I dont really see the Rosler thing either, but maybe I am missing something. Several good posters seem to be backing him, I would like to know why?[/quote]
Whilst I can''t speak for other posters, I''ll try and put forward why I think Rosler would be a good choice.
Brentford were promoted to League 1 in 2009. In their first 2 seasons in that division they finished 9th and 11th respectively. In Roslers first season in charge they finished 11th again but scored more goals and conceded fewer than they had in their previous 2 seasons. In his 2nd season, Rosler led the team 3rd in the league and missed out on automatic promotion on the final day. The season he left for Wigan, he had already guided Brentford to 1st place by the time he left and many credit him with setting the foundations which have allowed  Brentford to transition into Championship life so seamlessly. Kevin O'' Connor, who played under Rosler at Brentford and was part of the prmotion winning team said this:
 "Uwe got the ball rolling. We were a bang average League One side, but Uwe changed the mentality. Everything he did was all Premier League standard. He did amazing, so we’ll be saying thank you to him"
When he first arrived Wigan were 15th in the table and 11 points of a play off finish. They averaged 1.2 points a game. Under Rosler, this average increased to 2.6 points per game and they moved up 10 places to finish 5th. They also reached the FA Cup semi-final, bating Man City along the way.
Whilst these achievements are impressive, I also think that the way in which he reached these achievements was important. His Brentford team were well known for playing a technically demanding style of football in a league in which it is often easier to rely on more direct tactics in order to succeed. He was also very good at working with younger players and helping them develop. Players like Adam Forshaw, Harley Dean, Harry Forrester, Jake Bidwell... all players that were brought in from premier league clubs at low cost and developed into excellent players by Rosler. 
Whilst he wouldn''t be my first choice, I wouldn''t be disapointed if he was appointed.

Roslers record over 343 games managed is a win percentage of 43 per cent and has over 40 per cent at every managerial job he has had. Managed 349 won 143 drawn 98 lost 96. Worth a shot in my opinion. For comparison Paul lambert achieved 40 per cent at Wycombe and 44 per cent at Colchester before we appointed him and achieved 49 per cent with us. Lamberts overall is 39 per cent.

Phillip

"Whilst these achievements are impressive, I also think that the way in which he reached these achievements was important. His Brentford team were well known for playing a technically demanding style of football in a league in which it is often easier to rely on more direct tactics in order to succeed. He was also very good at working with younger players and helping them develop. Players like Adam Forshaw, Harley Dean, Harry Forrester, Jake Bidwell... all players that were brought in from premier league clubs at low cost and developed into excellent players by Rosler.

Whilst he wouldn''t be my first choice, I wouldn''t be disapointed if he was appointed."

Thanks Phillip, obviously read all the wiki stuff but your insight in your penultimate para is useful and adds a bit of context that I was unaware of.

Cheers😊

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Jenkins"]I dont really see the Rosler thing either, but maybe I am missing something. Several good posters seem to be backing him, I would like to know why?[/quote]
Whilst I can''t speak for other posters, I''ll try and put forward why I think Rosler would be a good choice.
Brentford were promoted to League 1 in 2009. In their first 2 seasons in that division they finished 9th and 11th respectively. In Roslers first season in charge they finished 11th again but scored more goals and conceded fewer than they had in their previous 2 seasons. In his 2nd season, Rosler led the team 3rd in the league and missed out on automatic promotion on the final day. The season he left for Wigan, he had already guided Brentford to 1st place by the time he left and many credit him with setting the foundations which have allowed  Brentford to transition into Championship life so seamlessly. Kevin O'' Connor, who played under Rosler at Brentford and was part of the prmotion winning team said this:
 "Uwe got the ball rolling. We were a bang average League One side, but Uwe changed the mentality. Everything he did was all Premier League standard. He did amazing, so we’ll be saying thank you to him"
When he first arrived Wigan were 15th in the table and 11 points of a play off finish. They averaged 1.2 points a game. Under Rosler, this average increased to 2.6 points per game and they moved up 10 places to finish 5th. They also reached the FA Cup semi-final, bating Man City along the way.
Whilst these achievements are impressive, I also think that the way in which he reached these achievements was important. His Brentford team were well known for playing a technically demanding style of football in a league in which it is often easier to rely on more direct tactics in order to succeed. He was also very good at working with younger players and helping them develop. Players like Adam Forshaw, Harley Dean, Harry Forrester, Jake Bidwell... all players that were brought in from premier league clubs at low cost and developed into excellent players by Rosler. 
Whilst he wouldn''t be my first choice, I wouldn''t be disapointed if he was appointed.
[/quote]

Agree wholeheartedly with this.

Look at Wigan since Malky took over. They''ve performed even worse. I think the problems at Wigan are deep. They have players who feel they should be in the premier league, as a result they are completey demotivated - happy to take there wages. They need a massive clear out.

Unfortunately I can see similarities here. I think we also need a clear out, and allow a manger like Rosler to build his own team. Sure we have a core of players that can be part of it but for me, I''d be saying bye to players such as Whittaker, Olsson, Lafferty, Tettey, Garrido & Bassong. Save some money and buy some hungry players.

lincoln canary wrote the following post at 05/01/2015 9:06 PM:

The advantage of Rosler is that he knows the majority of the Brentford squad, there''s some very young hungry and talented footballers there that would probally relish a move here.

He''d also likely bring Forshaw from Wigan. Exactly the sort of creative player we need.

And is available!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Still my view:I think anyone calling for Adams to be sacked

needs to suggest a viable and available alternative. After we lost at

home to Reading I formed the view that we should approach Rosler and see

if he was willing to take the job and - ideally - was willing to work

with Phelan. If doubly so, and probably even if not doubly so - then

sack Adams and appoint Rosler.
[/quote]I should have added that these discussions are all pretty moot, since I told McNally earlier today to appoint Rosler.

"I should have added that these discussions are all pretty moot, since I told McNally earlier today to appoint Rosler."

Hope he listened! Cue Phelans appointment!

"I should have added that these discussions are all pretty moot, since I told McNally earlier today to appoint Rosler."

Ha ! If he is appointed now, I''m going to kick myself for not having a cheeky tenner on him... :)

That''s great news and flies in the face of what I previously thought our board would do. If they appoint Rosler I will be absolutely ecstatic! I know some hold the most recent half season (That a promotion winning manger like Mackay hasn''t been able to turn around) against him but I''d be over the fu(king moon if we get him to put it very mildly.

One of the best young managers in the game and I''d be doing cartwheels if we tempt him. I''d also enjoy laughing at his detractors after we storm the league and surprise the Prem by playing such a sophisticated, fluid, inventive form of football.

I was very pleasantly surprised by our boards decision to remove Adams this week. I will be over the moon If we get Rosler in!

If you, Rosler or your representatives are reading this, sensible supporters who have been acknowledged by our board before like Purple Canary, many of our intelligent supporters are desperate for Rosler,come and get us up! You''ve seen with Lambert how we hero worship people who get us going, you have the chance to be a legend here and earn a move to a huge club if you do well. Also if the board are reading this, please appoint this man!!!!!!!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Still my view:

I think anyone calling for Adams to be sacked needs to suggest a viable and available alternative. After we lost at home to Reading I formed the view that we should approach Rosler and see if he was willing to take the job and - ideally - was willing to work with Phelan. If doubly so, and probably even if not doubly so - then sack Adams and appoint Rosler.
[/quote]

I should have added that these discussions are all pretty moot, since I told McNally earlier today to appoint Rosler.

[/quote]

Very commendable Purple but I''m more interested in what he told you back.