Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Brilliant supporters?

I live in Brighton and other supporters are always telling me of their admiration for Norwich supporters.  The support at the Fulham game was outstanding - 6 nil down and still singing our hearts out.

This is what Norwich supporters are all about, as with many football supporters.  Total support for our players, manager, board and the yellow and green.  We have a reputation to be very proud of.

Which is why it really p1sses me off to hear the booing after games by so called supporters and the constant whinging on this forum (a lot of the time by people who don''t even go to games, so are commenting on things based on second hand information).

I have supported my team for over 30 years and will continue to do so for the rest of my (hopefully plentiful) years.  I have supported the club throught the good times (being in the San Sero was unforgettable) and the bad (Chase era and relegation).  I expect both good and bad - I would hate to be in the Man U or Chelsea level of expectation - where''s the fun in that.

I also feel very involved in my club, which is something that "more successful" clubs cannot offer.

Some of the people on this forum should consider the question - brilliant supporter?

I have to agree with Dicky, we all have great expectations for this season, and the results so far have been dissapointing, but these are the times when the team need our support, not us getting on their backs after every stray pass, every mistake, its so easy to support a winning team, but a lot harder to support your team when things are not going to plan.

Maybe it was unrealistic to expect the team to play well with so many new faces, and i was as guilty as anyone, i was hoping to get 7 points from first 3 games, but lets show some real support and cheer our team on especially when they are not playing as well as we would like....

These sorts of posts really annoy me.   As a supporter myself for well over 30 years and living away from the county for the past 15 years I have every right to make a comment on the performance of the team I''ve supported since I could barely walk and will support until I can barely walk!   So you don''t like what I write - that''s life and what living in a democracy is all about Dicky.   I am perfectly entitled to express my own opinion and thoughts just like you - could you perhaps enlighten us all as to what you would like to see on here?    Don''t you think it would be a little boring if all we did was blindly agree with everything you said?   Oh, and what exactly is wrong with a little healthy criticism of the team and the management?   Can you honestly hand on heart say that you''re happy with the fact that we''re playing in the Championship this season and that out of a possible nine points we''ve managed to get a huge total of 3?   What planet are you on?

So come on son, bring it on - let''s have a coherent discussion about the club - and forget the "I''m a better supporter than you...blah blah blah..." attitude.

Chuckle, chuckle.

The same question has been asked since I first saw a Canaries match in the 1950s.

As I said on another thread, listening (and reading nowadays) City supporters thoughts, I could be listening to a City supporter from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s.

I''m afraid Norfolk people will never be any different.

Yawn, again.

This forum is for exchanging views and opinions as plastic scouser says. So if you don''t want to exchange views or opinions then there isn''t much point in coming on is there?

I think people have missed the point of Dicky''s post, taking only one line and jumping on it!

If you read again, Dicky is pretty much referring to those who have been booing at the end of the games - people who, in my opinion, should be immediately ejected and banned from the ground for life!

As I''ve said many times, we''re not only fans, we''re supporters! Yes, we pay good money, and take time out of our lives to go see these people, and yes it is upsetting when we don''t win - but it is not the end of the world, and life and football goes on until the next Saturday, when we do it all over again! That''s what football is all about.

Judge a team where they are at the end of the season, not after three games.

So, read Dicky''s post again - do you go to the game, have a whinge, boo the team, then come home grumbling - or do you go to the game, sing your heart out and get behind the team until the final whistle, regardless of the result?

That''s the question Dicky was asking - are you a Brilliant Supporter?

We do have a support to be proud off and in the main we do get behind the team at every opportunity - however it is very easyto get behind a team know that you are almost certinly facing a relegation battle than it is when expectations are so (artificially?) high this season.

As far as booing during a game is concerned I have never quite got my head around that one - no player in a city short deserves that imo and Flem will never get that from me.   It is negative for the team and cannot help the performance.  However the management seems to accept that the fans have  a right to express their opinion about a performance and booing at the end of a poor game seems to send the message that we are behind you wholeheartedly during the game but lets them know what we think of it at the end of the match I guess.

As far as not raising concerns ona boaard like this I feel it is similar to how you would treat your best friend.  If they were going through a tough patch do you take the easy option and tell them it will be all right or do you give them the tough love message that they have made some pigs ears decisions and they need to look afresh at how they have behaved etc.  Its harder and riskier to give the latter but its more what enduring friendship is about; being able to be honest in your relationship rather than simply saying there ther which doues bu&&er all good in the long run. 

Unfortunately I dont have that relationship with any person at the club, (my relationship is with the club and no 1 individual within in), and that is why I share my thoughts on how I would address my ''friends'' problems on here with other concerned mates.  We will never all share the same view on how to treatthe problem (and some mates never accept there ever is a problem) but thts just how it goes.

We are briliant supporters  - because we care and we show it on sites like these.

OTBC

Dicky - don''t get so wound up mate. At least 1 of the posters advocating "Worthy Out" is playing devils advocate trying to generate debate. It sometimes winds me up too, but this board would be dull if we all agreed on everything.

As long as the criticism remains on the board, and doesn''t include booing the team, no harm is done and some of the discussion generated is very interesting. Yes some of the posters are acting hysterically, but they do have the right to post what they think however wrong you/I think they are. I would much prefer that frustration is vented here than in the ground.

EM- there is a clear reference to whinging on this Board in the original post. Is any complaint a whinge? Is any negative thought or suggestion a moan, whine or whinge? I don''t see much whinging actually. I do see a lot of good debate, many constructive suggestions (team formations, possible loan signings, improvements in technique and the best XI for a particluar match) and some which appears designed to  provoke a reaction but not really much genuine whinging.

As to booing I don''t do that but I understand why some poeple do it after the match to express disappointment at a level of performance. Its better than booing an individual. At least it lets the players know how we feel as I would imagine they would stay away from Boards like this if they wanted to remain sane.

I''m still waiting for Dicky to comment on our thoughts?

As for booing at games - how would you prefer that the supporters expressed their feelings on the team''s performance? 
Suggestions please....

Just a side issue, but didn''t the San Siro/Eurpoean Cup experience occur in the later stages of the Chase era? Now I''m no fan of the The Fat Controller, but to his credit, we were playing in Europe whilst he was in the hotseat.

[quote]I''m still waiting for Dicky to comment on our thoughts? As for booing at games - how would you prefer that the supporters expressed their feelings on the team''s performance? Suggestions please....[/quote]

Booing imo is counter productive in all forms ie motivates other teams players and discourages our players - not only at FCR - but at grounds across the country.
I am sure all at FCR are aware of the expectations held by us "brilliant fans"and will know themselves if the performances aren''t good enough.
Maybe just getting up after the game and leaving without appaluding the teams efforts might be one way of getting rid of frustration. I would recommend calling the canary line on radio Norfolk by the time you get puton line you''ve forgotten what ou wanted to "moan" about.

[quote]I think people have missed the point of Dicky''s post, taking only one line and jumping on it! If you read again, Dicky is pretty much referring to those who have been booing at the end of the games -...[/quote]

EvilMonkey, here''s the line from Dicky''s post that may have raised a few hackles.

"Which is why it really p1sses me off to hear the booing after games by so called supporters and the constant whinging on this forum (a lot of the time by people who don''t even go to games, so are commenting on things based on second hand information)."

Those are the words Dicky used, so to comment that several people jumped on a second line of his post you might find they felt they had reason to.

I''d say 95% of the people who post on this board are supporters of this club in one form or another. Do you have to attend to be a supporter?

The dictionary definition of supporter from Chambers Online - someone who gives a specified institution such as a sport, a team, a political party, etc their active backing, approval, promotion, etc.

I''d think that 95% I mentioned earlier all qualify. We''re loyal to our club. We are active in our backing of the club. We give the club our approval. We promote the club.

Are we all brilliant supporters? Who can tell.

Do we all attend every home game and/or every away game? Probably not.

I''ve been a supporter for over 30 years now. A season ticket holder in the season when they first got to Division 1 as it was then. I''ve followed them down Wembley way twice for the Spurs League Cup final and the Sunderland Milk Cup final.

Do I have a right to want the best from the club? I think so. I''ve put some of my hard earned cash into the club just like several other posters here - the little certificate in my drawer proves it. If I had £8 million to put in, I would. But, I don''t. I live in Scotland and I can''t make the journey down for the games. If I could financially afford to, would I? You''re damned right.

Am I a brilliant supporter? In Dicky''s eyes probably not.

BUT I am a supporter. I proudly wear the yellow and green. I listen to the games whenever I''m able (family permitting). I follow the press, the after game phone calls, the discussion on this board.

Every one of us has the right to express their opinions about the way the club is performing on this board. It''s called freedom of speech. If we complain does it make any one of us a lesser supporter? NO WAY. We just have a different expectations and aspirations from the other supporters noting here.

So instead of complaining about the whingers be constructive and argue the opposing view and identify where their argument is weak and your counter argument is strong. But don''t simply say that any of the "whingers" are any less a supporter than yourself, because it probably ain''t true.

Does anyone think that there''s a difference between the home and away support? Living away from Norwich I almost always just go to away matches and the city contingent has almost always deserved the plaudits for fantastic support. I''m not sure that''s always been the case at home. Middlesborough last season springs to mind.

We all want city to play well and win, I can''t see any constructive point at all in booing. Utterly pathetic and only serves to put more pressure on the team. Are we as stupid and arrogant as Wolves fans? So what have you told the team/management by booing that they didn''t know already Plastic Scouser? It''s not about green tinted specs for all things NCFC, but continuous support for the team, all of the team when they''re on the pitch is more likely to get us the performances and the results we want. Seems quite obvious really.

I ask again - what form should our disapproval of the team''s performance take?    As a boy I remember the cushions raining down from the old wooden main stand at a poor performance - obviously that sort of behaviour has to be banned due to the dangerous nature of flying cushions...!

Seriously though, can you expect a crowd of committed and passionate supporters to completely ignore what they feel is a poor performance?  Should they all get up from their seats and file silently out of FCR?   I can''t quite see that happening can you?   OK so booing is not necessarily a motivator at the time, but surely a player leaving the field to booing would be motivated to go out next time and stuff those boos right back down the throats they came from?

It''s good to see the likes of Morph wading into this debate as it''s people like him who have been the backbone of the club and who have handed the baton on to others - we might not live locally, we might not get to the games, but don''t you ever dare to suggest that we are in some way inferior to you because you attend all the games!   And as for equating us with Wolves fans - don''t understand the comparison myself...

[quote]EvilMonkey, here''s the line from Dicky''s post that may have raised a few hackles. "Which is why it really p1sses me off to hear the booing after games by so called supporters and the constant whingin...[/quote]

But what Dicky has pointed out, is that some of the people who are doing the whinging, are those who haven''t been to the games - they''ve not seen the performance, so how can they comment?

In my eyes its a valid criticism - I don''t have a season ticket myself, but have been lucky enough to have seen the last six or seven home games in a row, though I probably won''t be able to see Leeds.  Do I think that makes me a better supporter than anyone who hasn''t seen any of the games? No! Do I think that makes me a worse supporter than those who have seen every game for twenty years? No!

But I do think that if I''m not actually at a game, then I can''t really comment on what went on based on second hand information or, worse, Roy bloody Waller''s "commentary"! I can''t exactly come on here and say how well, for example, Shackell played, etc, if I wasn''t there!

The fact of the matter is, a lot of people are coming on here saying it is all doom and gloom and woe is me, and Worthy out, etc - but how many of them have actually been to the games? The second half against Crewe could have got us a ten goal win, Palace was an even game between two very good sides. How do I know? Because I was there!

Now maybe I myself have misunderstood, but I took Dicky''s question as "when you''re at Carrow Road, do you get behind the team, and sing your heart out through thick and thin, or do you go out there and boo when you don''t get what you want?"

I''m sure that all of us here condone booing, and I suppose Dicky''s only mistake was to dare to suggest that some of the boo-boys frequent this board, but when you see the negativity on here at the moment, you can''t help but wonder... someone is doing it, is it any of us???

I sincerely hope not...

[quote]I ask again - what form should our disapproval of the team''s performance take? As a boy I remember the cushions raining down from the old wooden main stand at a poor performance - obviously that so...[/quote]

But the point is the performances haven''t been especially poor, its just that the results haven''t gone our way.  We''ve made a few silly defensive errors that have cost us in all three games, but at the same time have scored three very, very good goals.

Some people were booing after one bloody game!!

I''m with Dicky to a large extent. I can''t understand the booing. I could understand if the team was uninterested, not bothered or gave a well-below par performance. But is that what we are getting? Whatever you thing of Hughes or Flem – you can''t fault their effort and if they give 100% in the yellow shirt than shut it.

Ashton has missed a good few golden goal-scoring opportunities against Crewe and Crystal Palace but we know he''s quality, gives his all and will come good. Personally, I think booing [for three games in a row] is counter-productive.

Get behind the team and wait for the team to click into gear and watch us produce the performances.

As for some of the posters on here, they''re attention seekers. Sure criticise but make it constructive offer solutions rather than the Worthy Out! [who would you want instead] Hughes is rubbish [give the guy a few more games], Flem must be dropped [thought he played okay against Palace].

But it takes all sorts

I''m with Dicky to a large extent. I can''t understand the booing. I could understand if the team was uninterested, not bothered or gave a well-below par performance. But is that what we are getting? Whatever you thing of Hughes or Flem – you can''t fault their effort and if they give 100% in the yellow shirt than shut it.

Ashton has missed a good few golden goal-scoring opportunities against Crewe and Crystal Palace but we know he''s quality, gives his all and will come good. Personally, I think booing [for three games in a row] is counter-productive.

Get behind the team and wait for the team to click into gear and watch us produce the performances.

As for some of the posters on here, they''re attention seekers. Sure criticise but make it constructive offer solutions rather than the Worthy Out! [who would you want instead] Hughes is rubbish [give the guy a few more games], Flem must be dropped [thought he played okay against Palace].

But it takes all sorts

While the opinion put forth to initiate this thread is, I am sure, coming from the heart, it is also coming from a very narrow mind. Dicky ( and others who think like him ), need to understand that Norwich City football club was formed and supported by others who came many decades before him, and some of those supporters are still living. Many of them stood on cold, wet, open terraces cheering their hearts out for players wearing the yellow shirt who toiled in the old Third Division South and kept the turnstiles moving to create the basis for what exists today. Some of those supporters can no longer attend the games for a variety of valid reasons, sometimes health related. That does not mean they have lost the desire to offer an opinion if they sit in a living room with their loved ones, or sip a half-pint of ale in the local pub simply because they were not at last Saturday''s game. This forum is simply a convenient extension of those settings. When you reach that point Dicky ( and you will ) see how you feel about swallowing words and forcing yourself to be a nonparticipant in a conversation because you didn''t SEE LIVE what was happening on the pitch last week. Be big enough to allow people to express themselves without you coming across in a high and mighty way because of the current privileges you enjoy. Hopefully, for those that come after us, Norwich City football club will be around to provide enjoyment, praise, criticism, joy and sometimes tears. But it belongs to everyone, no matter what their current standing and, as such, all opinions should be welcome. Even yours Dicky. And this is the way it is for football supporters everywhere around the good old country and the good old world. 

And I suppose that those of us who don''t actually attend games are unable to watch the highlights on TV? OK so they might not be representative of the whole game but they give an excellent insight into who might be responsible for goals etc - hence my complete lack of comprehension as to why Fleming ever made the team last season...?

[quote]I live in Brighton and other supporters are always telling me of their admiration for Norwich supporters. The support at the Fulham game was outstanding - 6 nil down and still singing our hearts out....[/quote]

Listen Dicky, the only people letting down City at the moment, are people who DO GO to games and boo the players.

At least you can''t accuse me of that this year!.

I hate, absolutely hate, this attitude of yours, that if you don''t go, your point of view is less worthy than mine.

You know why I''m not there this year, but even when I was there, I never had that attitude, it stinks mate.

If you worry over City matters, then your a fan, full stop in my book!.

Chill out, life''s too short.