Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Best squad my XXXXX

I am fed up with hearing we have the best squad in the division. I seem to recall they are basically the same players who took us down.if they truly are the best then we would be be in the top two.

If we can play Wittaker every week I rest my case.

If bournemouth beat us 7-1 it may be a good thing.....perhaps

We will have Eddie Howe in place the following week!! If only!

Bassong is pretty telling with this statement. He is by far the most talented and experienced defender in the division, but there are plenty who are performing better than him at the moment. If he gets his head sorted, he is the best defender in the league. This applies to many of our players to lesser extents.

For me it’s the same old problems, Hughton was supposed to sort our defence, but the wheels well and truly came of that in his second season.  We still don’t know what our best centre back partnership is.  Both our full backs and captain have come in for criticism but have been undropable.  Consequences are we are a mess at the back, making silly mistakes on a regular basis.   The midfield has been begging out for creative reinforcements for three or four seasons.   We have persevered with a combination of BJ, Howason and Tettey for most of that time.  Wes isn’t getting an younger and needs the whole team built around him.  Hughton wasn’t going to do that, and Adams didn’t know how to (often shunting him out on the left).  We have scored goals this season, but of the four strikers only Jerome can so far be considered a success.  Hooper has had glimpses but sometimes looks well out of a game.  Grabdans great start is a distant memory, and Lafferty played out of position.

Cuellar, Hoovield, Lafferty, Miquel and Garrido have seen hardly any game time, Adams signed 4 of these, and Bennett and Bassong have been shoved out rightly or wrongly.

Individual a lot of good players, but not necessarily a balanced team, at least not under Adams stewardship.    

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I also seem to recall they are basically the same squad that finished 11th in the premier league...and 12th...[/quote]

Precisely Miggins. I''m not underestimating the quality of our rivals squads as there are many players that could make the jump to the mid table of the premiership quite easily but as a whole, our squad should be pushing for top of this league.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]I am fed up with hearing we have the best squad in the division. I seem to recall they are basically the same players who took us down.if they truly are the best then we would be be in the top two.

If we can play Wittaker every week I rest my case.[/quote]You can have a side with the best players, but if those players are misused or not played to their strengths, then they will not perform at the level they potentially can.Look at the difference in how we played under Lambert compared to under Hughton with basically the same group of players, that was down to mis-management rather than a lack of quality in the squad.As for playing Whittaker each week, I don''t think you''ll find many fans who''d rather play him over Martin at RB, but that was Adams'' decision and not ours, and hopefully whoever comes in to replace NA will stop playing Russ at CB, put him back at RB with Bennett or Turner returning in the middle (or even Bassong) and Whittaker can go back to benchwarming for the rest of the season.

I''d rather Whittaker than martin at rb

He was the right back during the unbeaten run in the prem which came to an end the game he got injured iirc

Look he is making the doc at his worse looking a wonderful player. Even dear old Andy Hughes looked better.

This is the biggest weakness in the team. Just shows how bad Scotland have become as he is a international player for them.