Sign in to follow this  
Essex_Canary

Mark Warburton

Can''t believe Mark Warburton''s name hasn''t been suggested more for the job.He has done an incredible job in charge of Brentford, has a great background in coaching and man management. Compared to the likes of Tim Sherwood, Karl Robinson and Uwe Rosler (who Warburton was part of the success he had at Brentford) he has actually won something in the game as a manager.

essex - good call u right, needs to be in the frame - perfromed miracles on a tight budget

[quote user="Essex_Canary"]Can''t believe Mark Warburton''s name hasn''t been suggested more for the job.He has done an incredible job in charge of Brentford, has a great background in coaching and man management. Compared to the likes of Tim Sherwood, Karl Robinson and Uwe Rosler (who Warburton was part of the success he had at Brentford) he has actually won something in the game as a manager.[/quote]I can''t believe someone is actually suggesting him for the job to be honest.He''s little more than another Neil Adams, albeit with slightly more experience (but still not enough to be sensibly considered IMHO).Why is it our fans can NEVER think big and go for more recognised and respected names from across different leagues and countries instead of rolling out the usual dross of no marks, has been''s, never were''s and inexperienced whoever''s???I''m there suggesting we look at managers like Francesco Guidolin, Paulo Bento and Frank Rijkaard, and instead you''re suggesting Warburton (along with hordes of other posters putting names like Lennon, McCarthy, Warnock and numerous other managers who get linked with every club under the sun when a vacancy comes up)!!!Talk about reinforcing the ''little old Norwich'' nonsense...

From what my Brentford supporting friends tell me, it is indeed Warburton rather than Rosler that we ought to be after: much of what has gone on at Brentford was with him as director of football, identifying and scouting their new players (some of them worth a look), he then stepped into the manager''s role when Rosler left, taking them up and then to their really good start this season. They play decent football, too, and are far less cautious under MW than UR.

I''ve never really got this Rosler love-in that some have, but I guess he took Wigan close (but so he should with their squad) and we could do far worse.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I''m there suggesting we look at managers like Francesco Guidolin, Paulo Bento and Frank Rijkaard, and instead you''re suggesting Warburton (along with hordes of other posters putting names like Lennon, McCarthy, Warnock and numerous other managers who get linked with every club under the sun when a vacancy comes up)!!!Talk about reinforcing the ''little old Norwich'' nonsense...[/quote]We should go for Jose Mourinho.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Essex_Canary"]Can''t believe Mark Warburton''s name hasn''t been suggested more for the job.He has done an incredible job in charge of Brentford, has a great background in coaching and man management. Compared to the likes of Tim Sherwood, Karl Robinson and Uwe Rosler (who Warburton was part of the success he had at Brentford) he has actually won something in the game as a manager.[/quote]I can''t believe someone is actually suggesting him for the job to be honest.He''s little more than another Neil Adams, albeit with slightly more experience (but still not enough to be sensibly considered IMHO).Why is it our fans can NEVER think big and go for more recognised and respected names from across different leagues and countries instead of rolling out the usual dross of no marks, has been''s, never were''s and inexperienced whoever''s???I''m there suggesting we look at managers like Francesco Guidolin, Paulo Bento and Frank Rijkaard, and instead you''re suggesting Warburton (along with hordes of other posters putting names like Lennon, McCarthy, Warnock and numerous other managers who get linked with every club under the sun when a vacancy comes up)!!!Talk about reinforcing the ''little old Norwich'' nonsense...[/quote]Because Paul Lambert was a widely successful manager, a respected name from across Europe''s top leagues...he didn''t do too badlyWhat we need is a manager who has had success at the level they have managed, who can relate to our players and the players we are looking to bring in, who is building a successful career under the radar slightly.For me I wouldn''t want any of the other three you have listed, but Warburton strikes me as someone who is a bit different, and there will come a time when he has taken Brentford as far as he can...if you look at his career history you''ll see he is incredibly motivated and not afraid of taking a step up as a gamble, and it might just be that the challenge of a ''bigger'' club, with more financial clout and the potential to get the squad promoted seems an appealing idea to him!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I''m there suggesting we look at managers like Francesco Guidolin, Paulo Bento and Frank Rijkaard[/quote]The board don''t do European managers, their advisors obviously only know about managers in Britain. If the board handed Delia a shortlist containing Francesco Guidolin and Paulo Bento she''d probably think it was the wine menu.

Actually I did post the following on the Managerial Candidates thread yesterday,

"Mark Warburton. I don''t mind someone relatively short on experience if they''ve shown they have the ability - and he has. I think he is on a one-year rolling contract so it wouldn''t surprise me if he''d be interested."

and I also brought his name up in the online debate. However both were moving so fast with new posts all the time that they quickly got lost.

When people say we should "think big" who are they suggesting? I can''t think of any unemployed big names who are likely to want to join us. There are one or two, like Hoddle and Curbishley, who have been out of it for a long time but there must be a reason for that.

Nearly all the best managers for this club, Saunders, Bond, Walker, O''Neill (albeit briefly) and Lambert were all on the way up. That''s what we have to look for.

We missed the chance to make an approach for Howe in the summer. We could ask now, but I suspect the reply would consist of just two words, the second being "off".

The perception seems to be that Adams failed because of "lack of experience". I don''t think so, I think it was simply lack of ability for that particular role. I think he is an excellent coach, but sadly not a manager, just like Peter Grant. And just like Mike Phelan.

Martin O''Neill started at Wycombe, got them in the league; John Bond started at Bournemouth. Walker was harshly sacked from Colchester to our benefit, and Lambert took in both Wycombe and Colchester before heading our way.

Those are the areas we should be looking in, clubs who are over-achieving relative to their size in the football league. That''s why Warburton comes to mind at least as someone to consider.

All good points, I do feel though that these players need someone they can look up to. I''m not sure Warburton has that gravitas. Now is not the time to overhaul the squad, if this season fails then perhaps so, but for now, we need either experience or pedigree and a couple of top class players that want to join with the new man that can as a wise man once said "help us out". An assured centre back and a left footed wide man and we''re good to go.

[quote user="Essex_Canary"]For me I wouldn''t want any of the other three you have listed, but Warburton strikes me as someone who is a bit different[/quote]Jesus wept.So you have no interest in:1) A manager with 20 years+ experience of managing in both Serie A and Serie B, a man who knows how to get clubs promoted, how to keep them there and also knows how to get the best out of often limited players at his disposal e.g. taking a generally poor Udinese side to 3rd and 4th place finishes in consecutive seasons.2) A manager who until recently managed the Portuguese national team after having acheived a 60% win rate over the previous 4 years whilst managing Sporting Lisbon, who also then maintained at 54% win rate for Portugal despite having a squad who only have maybe 2-3 top class players, with the rest being lower prem or championship standard at best, not to mention beating Spain and reaching the semi-finals of Euro 20123) A manager who as a player was instrumental in one of the greatest club sides ever seen, who inherited a Barca team that was short on real confidence and quality (only Ronaldinho was truly outstanding), he then built the Barca side who dominated the mid 2000''s bringing through players like Iniesta, Xavi and Puyol and taking them to CL and domestic victory galore, he also performed very well at Galatasaray with a 55% win rate during his tenure. And instead of any of them you''d rather have a guy who''s only playing experience is bascially conference level, who''s coaching experience is pretty much limited to youth coaching at Watford and 1.5 years in charge at Brentford, and is still a relatively unknown quantity who could simply be enjoying a short period of success (much like Rosler did) before fading into mediocrity and obscurity.Tell me again exactly how Warburton is in any way comparable in either quality, experience or reputation to ANY of the three suggestions I''ve made, because frankly the suggestion is beyond laughable - it''s ludicrous tbh...

[quote user="Shyster"]I think Warburton would want too much dough...[/quote]

He likes a good raise though, and he knows which side his bread is buttered!

Problem with all this? If the board insist on retaining this stupid Football Management Board, a decent manager will never agree to coming here anyhow.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Problem with all this? If the board insist on retaining this stupid Football Management Board, a decent manager will never agree to coming here anyhow.[/quote]Actually, I think you''ll find that many managers from the continent are far more used to different board setups, often working with a director of football etc, so would probably be more willing to work under a set system than many domestic managers would.

If Rijkaard was our manager you could look forward to the ''experts'' on here telling us that he doesn''t know what he''s doing, criticising everything from the formation, team selection to the tactics. There would inevitably be calls for him to be replaced by Pulis or McCarthy.

I like Warburton, I''d be pleased to see him here. I think he''s got something about him. He''ll move to a bigger club than Brentford at some point.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Essex_Canary"]For me I wouldn''t want any of the other three you have listed, but Warburton strikes me as someone who is a bit different[/quote]Jesus wept.So you have no interest in:1) A manager with 20 years+ experience of managing in both Serie A and Serie B, a man who knows how to get clubs promoted, how to keep them there and also knows how to get the best out of often limited players at his disposal e.g. taking a generally poor Udinese side to 3rd and 4th place finishes in consecutive seasons.2) A manager who until recently managed the Portuguese national team after having acheived a 60% win rate over the previous 4 years whilst managing Sporting Lisbon, who also then maintained at 54% win rate for Portugal despite having a squad who only have maybe 2-3 top class players, with the rest being lower prem or championship standard at best, not to mention beating Spain and reaching the semi-finals of Euro 20123) A manager who as a player was instrumental in one of the greatest club sides ever seen, who inherited a Barca team that was short on real confidence and quality (only Ronaldinho was truly outstanding), he then built the Barca side who dominated the mid 2000''s bringing through players like Iniesta, Xavi and Puyol and taking them to CL and domestic victory galore, he also performed very well at Galatasaray with a 55% win rate during his tenure. And instead of any of them you''d rather have a guy who''s only playing experience is bascially conference level, who''s coaching experience is pretty much limited to youth coaching at Watford and 1.5 years in charge at Brentford, and is still a relatively unknown quantity who could simply be enjoying a short period of success (much like Rosler did) before fading into mediocrity and obscurity.Tell me again exactly how Warburton is in any way comparable in either quality, experience or reputation to ANY of the three suggestions I''ve made, because frankly the suggestion is beyond laughable - it''s ludicrous tbh...[/quote]Knowledge of English football, and the Championship in particular, is a definite advantage. Obviously the candidates you mentioned have a ton of experience and quality, but do you know if they''re fluent in English, for example? It takes time enough to explain your methods and footballing philosophy using a common first language, and we need results quickly. I''m not saying that we shouldn''t consider candidates such as these - clearly they''re all extremely experienced with impressive track records - but you''re only presenting one side of the argument. There have been plenty of foreign coaches with big reputations who have failed at English clubs, and plenty who have succeeded. The same applies to up-and-coming British managers with limited experience.