Sign in to follow this  
pete

Manager by end of the week

Apparently City aims for this according to SSN. Seems if applications and interviews within 4 days the pool will be strictly limited and in accordance with Boards penny pinching welcome Mike Phelan as permanent manager.

[quote user="ricardo"]Unless they already have a secret candidate sorted it can only be Phelan.[/quote]

Agreed, I also believe they will be keen to appoint Phelan prior to a 3+ goal hammering by the free flowing and scoring power of the mighty bournemouth FC on saturday.

Otherwise they will not be able to carry out their cheap plan!

[quote user="pete"]Apparently City aims for this according to SSN. Seems if applications and interviews within 4 days the pool will be strictly limited and in accordance with Boards penny pinching welcome Mike Phelan as permanent manager.[/quote]It could be Phelan, but not for that reason. The board must have surveyed possible candidates in the summer, and almost certainly have been keeping an eys on them - and newly-available candidates - since then. It is not as if they are having to start with a blank sheet of paper. And five days (even if they stick to that timetable) is plenty long enough, in these days of instant communications, tele-conferencing and the like. Far from this deadline meaning it must be Phelan, it suggestst the directors are taking time to look at other candidates.

[quote user="The recurring 5 year plan"][quote user="ricardo"]Unless they already have a secret candidate sorted it can only be Phelan.[/quote]

Agreed, I also believe they will be keen to appoint Phelan prior to a 3+ goal hammering by the free flowing and scoring power of the mighty bournemouth FC on saturday.

Otherwise they will not be able to carry out their cheap plan![/quote]Hadn''t even thought of that. Depressing, you are probably right.

I do just feel that whilst we have someone like Phelan on board, it allows us to take a couple of weeks to commit to a decision. He can take the reins for them weeks and if he''s any good he''ll be considered, if not, then we have avoided an expensive mistake.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I do just feel that whilst we have someone like Phelan on board, it allows us to take a couple of weeks to commit to a decision. He can take the reins for them weeks and if he''s any good he''ll be considered, if not, then we have avoided an expensive mistake.[/quote]Would agree if this was the summer.No time for that now.Tick tock and all that.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I do just feel that whilst we have someone like Phelan on board, it allows us to take a couple of weeks to commit to a decision. He can take the reins for them weeks and if he''s any good he''ll be considered, if not, then we have avoided an expensive mistake.[/quote]Would agree if this was the summer.No time for that now.Tick tock and all that.[/quote]
Looking at the results potentially required to make the autos, has the time already run out for us?
I''d rather we got the right manager later, leave Phelan in caretaker for the remainder of the season if necessary, I think he''s a solid enough bet to get us into the play-offs, which is realistically our only chance now.

The way I see it is that Phelan has already got the job.The betting suggests so, The Pink ''Un is hinting at as much and there have not been any serious or substantiated rumors that anyone else has been approached - and it''s difficult, if not impossible to keep things like that quiet nowadays. At the end of the week, or in their own good time, the Board will claim that they have scoured the planet but they have come to the conclusion that Phelan is the right man for the job.All other options were either not interested, not available or not deemed good enough.They will sight the reasons as being Phelan''s experience as Assistant at Man U, his long association with the Club and the fact that he knows the players already.

Negotiations may be further on than anyone knows. I should imagine candidates were already under consideration before Neil even thought of " resigning".

[quote user="Making Plans"]The way I see it is that Phelan has already got the job.The betting suggests so, The Pink ''Un is hinting at as much and there have not been any serious or substantiated rumors that anyone else has been approached - and it''s difficult, if not impossible to keep things like that quiet nowadays. At the end of the week, or in their own good time, the Board will claim that they have scoured the planet but they have come to the conclusion that Phelan is the right man for the job.All other options were either not interested, not available or not deemed good enough.They will sight the reasons as being Phelan''s experience as Assistant at Man U, his long association with the Club and the fact that he knows the players already.[/quote]You can ignore the betting as it stands. There is no inside information fuelling that. It is purely based  on Phelan being at Carrow Road already and there being no single obvious external alternative. The pink ''un isn''t, if read carefully, hinting at anything either. It is actually keeping its options open with that piece on reasons why and reasons why not.The pink ''un does not have much of an inside track on what is happening in the Carrow Road boardroom, and is essentially just mentioning Phelan for the same reasons he is top of the betting list.And it is possible to keep things quiet nowadays, especially if you run a tight-knit operation, such as at Norwich City, and if you are off the beaten track in terms of national journalism, as we are. Added to which, it is only Tuesday afternoon, 24 hours on from Adams going! I would keep an eye on Charlie Wyett in The Sun. If anyone is going to get a tip-off (and be able to publish it) it will be him. If he says it is Phelan - or whoever - then it probably will be.

Well the bookies had absolutely no clue it was going to be Adams in the summer. Pratically up to his appointment double figure prices were available. I''m surprised all those who knew we''d appoint the cheap option didn''t avail themselves of a piece of the action....

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I would keep an eye on Charlie Wyett in The Sun. If anyone is going to get a tip-off (and be able to publish it) it will be him. If he says it is Phelan - or whoever - then it probably will be.[/quote]This is a Wyett tweet from yesterday Purps......

But Mike Phelan has been told today that he is not guaranteed the Norwich job, even though this appears likely from the outside

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I would keep an eye on Charlie Wyett in The Sun. If anyone is going to get a tip-off (and be able to publish it) it will be him. If he says it is Phelan - or whoever - then it probably will be.[/quote]This is a Wyett tweet from yesterday Purps......

But Mike Phelan has been told today that he is not guaranteed the Norwich job, even though this appears likely from the outside [/quote]Thanks, lapps.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Making Plans"]The way I see it is that Phelan has already got the job.The betting suggests so, The Pink ''Un is hinting at as much and there have not been any serious or substantiated rumors that anyone else has been approached - and it''s difficult, if not impossible to keep things like that quiet nowadays. At the end of the week, or in their own good time, the Board will claim that they have scoured the planet but they have come to the conclusion that Phelan is the right man for the job.All other options were either not interested, not available or not deemed good enough.They will sight the reasons as being Phelan''s experience as Assistant at Man U, his long association with the Club and the fact that he knows the players already.[/quote]You can ignore the betting as it stands. There is no inside information fuelling that. It is purely based  on Phelan being at Carrow Road already and there being no single obvious external alternative. The pink ''un isn''t, if read carefully, hinting at anything either. It is actually keeping its options open with that piece on reasons why and reasons why not.The pink ''un does not have much of an inside track on what is happening in the Carrow Road boardroom, and is essentially just mentioning Phelan for the same reasons he is top of the betting list.And it is possible to keep things quiet nowadays, especially if you run a tight-knit operation, such as at Norwich City, and if you are off the beaten track in terms of national journalism, as we are. Added to which, it is only Tuesday afternoon, 24 hours on from Adams going! I would keep an eye on Charlie Wyett in The Sun. If anyone is going to get a tip-off (and be able to publish it) it will be him. If he says it is Phelan - or whoever - then it probably will be.[/quote]To be fair to Michael Bailey his piece today suggests he has got a bit of an inside track on what is going on, but only up to a point. Assuming this is correct, there is a three-man shortlist. Phelan is on it. But Warnock is not. And the Saturday deadline may not be adhered to if getting the right person takes longer (which would suggest Phelan is not a certainty). But there is no clue as to who the other two might be.Bailey also made a point I posted yesterday, that the directors probably had a contingency plan in case Adams failed, so they were not starting from scrtach on Monday in trying to identify outside candidates. Anither reason for Phelan, while the favourite with outsiders, not to be a certainty.