Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Looks like 3rd candidate is Alex Neil.

[quote user="simmo_2"]Now 5/1 on sky bet[/quote]Yes not in the betting yesterday , 20/1 about half an hour ago now as short as 5/1

Hi all, AN is currently player/manager of Hamilton Academical in the SPL. The team are currently playing excellent football with a very high tempo/quick closing down type of game (probably the fittest squad in the SPL). Relatively inexperienced, and the league isnt that strong but a hard as nails character. May be a bit too soon for him to step up IMO.

Apples

Awaiting a lecture from City 1st on how the market moves.

Since Rob Butler tweeted about this the odds have really come in, maybe a wild goose chase.

Oh great, another no-mark with little to no relevant experience...I''m sure this board must be smoking something when they come up with these ideas...

Wow, he''s really shot in!

The whole betfair thing, I instantly knew that his odds would tumble as soon as that tweet went out and could have had him at 12/1 even though i''m not convinced we''ll go for him.

Is there now a way of laying that bet and saying he won''t be our manager so I know for future? At the moment, i still think it''s all hype.

PS. I wonder if he''d keep his playing registration...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Oh great, another no-mark with little to no relevant experience...I''m sure this board must be smoking something when they come up with these ideas...[/quote]

Not a massive way off from Lambert, then.

Criticise all you like but my view is that there must be a reason for headhunting managers like him - who i''ve only heard little about.

Exactly and none of us can admit to knowing TOO much about him apart from quickly reading Wikipedia and claiming to be an expert.

Definitely going for the cheap option, he''s the same build as Neil Adams so all they''ll have to do is swap the lettering on the training kit.

Lambert had the whole CL winner thing and came in at a time when we were even more desperate. We seem to have a squad with fragile mentalities, so he''d have a hell of a job getting them on side.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Definitely going for the cheap option, he''s the same build as Neil Adams so all they''ll have to do is swap the lettering on the training kit.

[/quote]

They are hoping he''s dyslexic and can''t tell the difference!

(sorry, couldn''t resist, it was a throwaway, so please don''t be offended!)

That biog does not sounds too different to Gary Holts Falkirk story - perhaps he should have a strong a chance as phelan?

[quote user="Yellows"]Exactly and none of us can admit to knowing TOO much about him apart from quickly reading Wikipedia and claiming to be an expert.[/quote]

Unless you live North of the border and follow SPL football.

[quote user="hogesar"]Criticise all you like but my view is that there must be a reason for headhunting managers like him - who i''ve only heard little about.[/quote]Yes, because they''ll be cheap, easy to manage from a board perspective and cheap to get rid of when it all goes t*ts up!

Does anyone think that in his first team meeting they''ll all say "Are we supposed to know who you are?"

The thing is, it seems we aren''t awash with any candidate that everyone would be happy with, so I guess we have to sit tight and see what transpires.

If it were to be this Neil guy, maybe Holt will have had some input/say - I did wonder when I saw his name mentioned whether he would be more likely as an Asst to Phelan, or Holt himself.

So a promotion under his belt and a good half season in the SPL with a young side.

2m2 minutes ago

For fans - Alex Neil is a forward thinking, ambitious boss whose newly promoted side sit 3 points behind Celtic with a young squad.

Sounds good until he has 1 win in 5 and fans start to get on his back.

Seems like one we''d have to give time.

I''ve seen the Accies a few times (both in person and on the TV) and they are a good team and AN is a fiesty character! [:)] My major concern would be the difference between managing an SPL club who get 2-3000 fans a week (in a relatively weak league) and stepping up to the Championship and additional pressure (as no-one really expected them to do much this year).

One interesting thing to note is Accies train/play on a plastic pitch and this has been given as a reason for them playing the way they do (and also being a bit of an advantage when visiting teams turn up, so they could be in a bit of a false position).  

Apples

I see he is listed as a player/manager. Perhaps he is being lined up to fill that gap in the squad on the left side of midfield?

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 07/01/2015 10:54 AM:

I see he is listed as a player/manager. Perhaps he is being lined up to fill that gap in the squad on the left side of midfield?

Fantastic post - Delia always on the hunt for bargains - she may have one here (does he make tea as well)

FFS!! Typical of our joke B.O.D''s an obscure name that nobody wants. Midtable obscurity here we come! We''ll be signing scottish championship players all January.

When will the board learn and do things f**king properly!

Like most, I''ve never heard of him, but the article in the Daily Mail gives good background.  I question the way our ''senior'' players will react to him - as Mr Bassong is alleged to have done with Adams.  Perhaps he''s being offered the role alongside Phelan??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2771546/Alex-Neil-s-managerial-success-nine-years-making-looks-build-Hamilton-s-superb-start-season.html

Whoever suggested him and then standing him on his head to recycle neil''s clothes is to blame for this!!!! You know they''re a bunch of penny pinching tw@ts at the best of times

I was underwhelmed when Adams got the job but this if it happens will have me crying into my beer.