Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

martin oneill

He wouldn''t be my first choice, in fact I''ve not even considered this as I thought he was ''semi retiring'' into international football. But the core of our players are known to respond to a Lambert like character, him and Phelan have all the (successful) experience you could want and the fans would be excited, our promotion rivals would be very nervous but there would be no excuses for failure from our players

Not performing for a O''Neill/Phelan combo would be seen as inexcusable from our players, even if this combo wasn''t working and was the reason we don''t perform (hypothetically) the players would still get the blame this time..

It''s an interesting option actually and if it didn''t work would deflect blame off the board/manager and onto our players. Plus he lives in Edinburgh.

I''m not sure, I think his best days are gone, but he might just be exactly what we need. Maybe to do the job some want Warnock to do, and I''d have a 100 year old O''Neill over Warnock from any era.

It''s very unlikely, but I wouldn''t mind this option

I''d have him but we need to remember that he bolts when a better offer comes up. He did it twice at CR. At least Lambert only did it once.

Definitely not for me.Walked out on us previously after a strop with Chase over Dean Windass, has been relatively average to poor in the prem in recent seasons (having been truly apalling at Sunderland) and is very much getting towards the ''past it'' stage for club management.There''s plenty of better options out there to consider rather than going for the guy who''s already shown no respect for our club once before and who only ever truly performed very well in Scotland where it was a two horse race and he was given plenty of cash to thrown around...

He''s had one management failure in a long career how anyone can dismiss him out of hand I''ll never understand. Two things worry me though, has he lost his desire to really make a mark at club level? he also spends incredible sums of money on some pretty ropey players.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]He''s had one management failure in a long career how anyone can dismiss him out of hand I''ll never understand. Two things worry me though, has he lost his desire to really make a mark at club level? he also spends incredible sums of money on some pretty ropey players.[/quote]He succeeded at Celtic mainly BECAUSE they spent large sums of money, and it was repeated the exact same way at Villa as he was happy whilst the money was rolling in for him to try to buy his way to wins, but as soon as he goes somewhere where the money is tighter and he needs to be more canny and shrewd, he either fails miserably or simply walks out.All that would happen if we appointed O''Neill would be that he''d walk into the boardroom expecting blank cheques from Delia and MWJ and when these weren''t forthcoming he''d claim lack of support and go look for another gravy train to sponge from...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Definitely not for me.Walked out on us previously after a strop with Chase over Dean Windass, has been relatively average to poor in the prem in recent seasons (having been truly apalling at Sunderland) and is very much getting towards the ''past it'' stage for club management.There''s plenty of better options out there to consider rather than going for the guy who''s already shown no respect for our club once before and who only ever truly performed very well in Scotland where it was a two horse race and he was given plenty of cash to thrown around...[/quote]

I wouldn''t call three 6th placed finishes with villa and a cup final poor. Yes the year spent at Sunderland but other than that I fail to see what''s not to like other than the overspending and if he''s still got the same hunger. Very much doubt he''ll be an option though.

I want someone who''s young yet expirienced. I want someone who''s confident. I want someone who''s passionate. I want someone who the players can respect. I want someone who''s not afraid of doing things his own way. I want someone who sees Norwich as a potential stepping stone.

He''s ginger and works for Bolton.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]He''s had one management failure in a long career how anyone can dismiss him out of hand I''ll never understand. Two things worry me though, has he lost his desire to really make a mark at club level? he also spends incredible sums of money on some pretty ropey players.[/quote]He succeeded at Celtic mainly BECAUSE they spent large sums of money, and it was repeated the exact same way at Villa as he was happy whilst the money was rolling in for him to try to buy his way to wins, but as soon as he goes somewhere where the money is tighter and he needs to be more canny and shrewd, he either fails miserably or simply walks out.All that would happen if we appointed O''Neill would be that he''d walk into the boardroom expecting blank cheques from Delia and MWJ and when these weren''t forthcoming he''d claim lack of support and go look for another gravy train to sponge from...[/quote]

No need to shout. That''s also a very limited way of looking at his sucess it takes more than spending to bring success as we''ve proved at our own level this season. If you look at his time at Villa my issue is that he over spends on midtable prem players, but he the motivates those players well, unfortunately it tends to leave a mess for the next guy. You don''t get Celtic to a Eufa final just by spending money either.

In the very unlikely event its not Phelan, then why not, he would certainly know how to handle our squad and is another very well connected experienced Manager who could handle the expectation.

[quote user="STAN"]I want someone who''s young yet expirienced. I want someone who''s confident. I want someone who''s passionate. I want someone who the players can respect. I want someone who''s not afraid of doing things his own way. I want someone who sees Norwich as a potential stepping stone.

He''s ginger and works for Bolton.[/quote]The obvious candidate at the time but that bird has now flown.Why he wasn''t the chosen one will always be a mystery to me.

[quote user="ricardo"]I''d have him but we need to remember that he bolts when a better offer comes up. He did it twice at CR.?? At least Lambert only did it once.[/quote]Sorry Ricardo but somewhere along the line I''ve missed a bit of history. What happened here?

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="ricardo"]I''d have him but we need to remember that he bolts when a better offer comes up. He did it twice at CR.?? At least Lambert only did it once.[/quote]Sorry Ricardo but somewhere along the line I''ve missed a bit of history. What happened here?[/quote]Jumped as a player when we got relegated and then jumped again as a manager when Chase ratted on the Dean Windass deal.

To be fair to O''Neill had been badly lied to to get him to be our manager and his job was made almost untenable - he didn''t exactly want to spend big on Windass but it was pathetic how Chase treated it. I doubt he had any idea that we''d soon be selling off anything of value to keep us from bankruptcy, so he was probably better off out of it and you could hardly blame him.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]To be fair to O''Neill had been badly lied to to get him to be our manager and his job was made almost untenable - he didn''t exactly want to spend big on Windass but it was pathetic how Chase treated it. I doubt he had any idea that we''d soon be selling off anything of value to keep us from bankruptcy, so he was probably better off out of it and you could hardly blame him.[/quote]The biggest mistake in NCFC history. Windass would have kept us up but we were relegated just as the big money came on stream. The next twenty years were spent trying to get the club back on an even keel.Big Bob was entirely to blame.

Coming to CR may be a way for Mr O Neill to distance him self from the fella he and PL hooked up with....still no for me tho.

For a club like us O''Neil would be fantastic.......I do think sone on here think we are on par with Man City.......

I for one would be very happy with O''Neil, but its not likely....Phelan will be here come Saturday and will be made permenant come the folliwing Monday.......IMO.

Granted I was still at school at the time Ricardo so my memory might be a little off, but I always thought that O''Neill came on board and tried to sign Windass after our relegation from the Premier League?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Granted I was still at school at the time Ricardo so my memory might be a little off, but I always thought that O''Neill came on board and tried to sign Windass after our relegation from the Premier League?[/quote]

Quite correct Mr B. He did join after relegation. He would be my first choice out everyone who would be "reasonably" realistic. Got Wycombe into the league and were top 3 when he left us. Got Leicester promoted, kept them up very easily & won a league cup. They were relegated within a year or so of him leaving. Made Celtic competitive in Europe. Then 3 top 6 places with Villa. Finally, he kept Sunderland up the first year he went there. Yes it went a bit pearshaped thereafter but he still has by fat the best CV of any manager we might get.

Got Leicester promoted by spending money, kept them there by spending more money (left when the money started to disappear)Made Celtic competitive by spending way more money than any other club in the league.Made Villa competitive by spending large amounts of money (then leaving when the money was drying up)Kept a decent Sunderland squad up by spending money and then failed miserably the year after spending even more money.O''Neill will ALWAYS be a manager that needs to spend fairly big to get relatively good success (not that this is such a bad thing as all the top clubs spend like it''s going out of fashion), but we simply don''t have the resources to facilitate this type of spending, nor are we in a position where we can waste millions on bang average players like Stephen Warnock,  N''diaye and Mangane et al...

This would be my ideal management setup O''Neil with phelan as his number two with this combo I think we could win the league. Can I see it happening no not really but stranger thing''s have happened

Unless things have changed since, O''Neill was quite clear when interviewed on getting the Irish job that it would still allow him the time he needed to care for his wife who has been seriously ill and that returning to club management was not an option as that''s a 24/7 job.