Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

What Do You Rckon Then Newton ?

chicken wrote the following post at 08/01/2015 12:32 AM:

@Newton - we didn''t spend £17million!

Last time you said that you quoted around double what we had paid for players.

Like £3million for Jerome when most sources agree it was £1.5million.

Actually for the most part I think Adams'' signings were decent enough if not pretty good.

Hi Chicken

Others have confirmed that our gross spend on trasnfer & loan fees in the summer was just over £17M (not my made up figures)

The worrying fact is even though you may be happy with who we brought - I am very concerned that Adams was given all this money to spend and only one purchase Jerone is a starter (I would imagine the board feel the same)

[quote user="Newton"]

Purple you are confusing facts with your assumptions

The only fact is the specific words THIS TIME - can u explain why these were included - I can only think last time McNally was not given the green light to find a manager and we went down other routes (Cheap, sentimental, club connection route - Delia has u know has appointed 3 of these out of the last 6 managers and all have been an unmitegated disaster)

The rest of your comments are based on an assumption thta McNally would always be leading the search - but that is not what the quote or your subsequent comments confirm

From what I heard and I have no proof - yes MacKay was first choice but his overall package was too expensive so we moved on. Absolutely ludicrous if you think about bearing in mind we gave someone who walked away from the job after 6 mths £17M to splash out on recruits in the summer which are now probably worth substantialy less

[/quote]No. You are. Because you are deeply confused about a basic point. Which is this. You believe the EDP comment about "this time" is a fact because you think it has come from a "press release" issued by the club. In other words it is an official statement of truth.You say as much:"Easy way issue a press release saying the responsibility now over to McNally to find a manager - bingo genius Delia."It is not that. It is one (decent) journalist''s view, the basis for which we don''t know (except that it hasn''t come from an official club statement), even assuming it was not simply a careless phrase. As pointed out, there is effectively a contradiction in the EDP report, unless it really was Smith and Jones who looked around Europe in May, and I doubt you believe that. As you acknowledge, the search in any event almost certainly produced Mackay as first choice rather than Adams, which rather undermines your notion that Smith and Jones led that chase and so produced the latter.You are right that I am assuming McNally led previous searches for managers, such as for Lambert and Hughton and so then for the Hughton replacement, but that is an assumption based on fact and probabilities, including the high likelihood that we - ie McNally - looked at Neil in the summer and decided that was too early, but kept his name in mind.

[quote user="Newton"]Others have confirmed that our gross spend on trasnfer & loan fees in the summer was just over £17M (not my made up figures)[/quote]Well that''s completely different to the figures I''ve been looking at (not saying these are necessarily correct though), and I get an estimated transfer outlay of approx 9 mil, and I find it highly doubtful that agent and loan fees have somehow added an additional 8 mil on top of this amount...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Newton"]Others have confirmed that our gross spend on trasnfer & loan fees in the summer was just over £17M (not my made up figures)[/quote]Well that''s completely different to the figures I''ve been looking at (not saying these are necessarily correct though), and I get an estimated transfer outlay of approx 9 mil, and I find it highly doubtful that agent and loan fees have somehow added an additional 8 mil on top of this amount...[/quote]The figure given by the club is £13.6m on transfers in, plus a possible extra £3.5m.

Thanks for the clarification PC, really do wonder exactly how that''s broken down into individual deals because that would suggest we''ve paid somewhat over the odds in some cases...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Thanks for the clarification PC, really do wonder exactly how that''s broken down into individual deals because that would suggest we''ve paid somewhat over the odds in some cases...[/quote]Sadly the club isn''t THAT helpful!