Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

love a quiet messageboard

[quote user="morty"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Why''s every one look at the last ten ? How about 20 ?       Played 20    W-8   D-6   L6     GOALS  F30 A24It''s not all Doom and  Gloom !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fn8BQPBir0[/quote][:D][Y][/quote]
Good to see Norwich fans happy with a set of results which would leave us outside the play-offs come the end of the season...
(facepalm)

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Why''s every one look at the last ten ? How about 20 ?       Played 20    W-8   D-6   L6     GOALS  F30 A24It''s not all Doom and  Gloom !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fn8BQPBir0[/quote][:D][Y][/quote]
Good to see Norwich fans happy with a set of results which would leave us outside the play-offs come the end of the season...
(facepalm)
[/quote]Good to see you jump totally to the wrong conclusion, pretty much as usual.I was amused at the fact that you can use stats to pretty much illustrate anything you want.Or can you point out my post where I said I''m happy with the results so far, as a whole?No? Didn''t think so....

[quote user="morty"]I have totally ballsed that up lol.*Walks away whistling....[/quote]No need to apologise, morty.You plainly just kept getting it wrong deliberately so you had to come back to correct yourself in order to boost the apparently embarrassingly low post count on this message-board. That was selfless of you, and much appreciated.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]I have totally ballsed that up lol.*Walks away whistling....[/quote]No need to apologise, morty.You plainly just kept getting it wrong deliberately so you had to come back to correct yourself in order to boost the apparently embarrassingly low post count on this message-board. That was selfless of you, and much appreciated.[/quote]Rumbled[Y](An edit button would be really handy here....[;)])

[quote user="nutty nigel"]At what point will Adams get some credit then Foggy?[/quote]

When we are in the top 2 or prem via play offs

Anything less than promotion this year imho is a failure

[quote user="nutty nigel"]At what point will Adams get some credit then Foggy?[/quote]
I have said since the start, I would like to see us challenging at least for the play offs this season.  I must admit having seen the quality in this league I think we should be getting in the top 6.
Adams has credit for a set of results which have us at 8th in the table a position that at the start of the season I considered just about passable.  I for one hope this is the turning point in the season and he succeeds.  I hope he looks at his squad, and gets us playing to their strengths in a fashion that will get results.
I like the look of O''Neil, Jerome, and Cuellar - these look like decent signings - not convinced about Hooiveld, Grabban, Lafferty or Vadis just yet.
I''m not certain we did any great business in the exits of Bassong, Pilkington, Surman, Fox and E Bennett.
I am hoping the ''football committee'' is shutdown post-haste, the ''norwich way'' and ''attacking mantra'' are consigned to the dustbin, and Adams can continue with a more pragmatic approach given the players we have decided to keep at the club.
If the club want to play ''the norwich way'' in future, it might help if they start signing and keeping players who can actually pass the ball.

Now you''ve gone and done it Fogs. There was I reading your excellent post and, bottoms, there is a hint of criticism.

Stand by for the Nutty question. No positive explanation to anything from Nutty …. just questions.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]At what point will Adams get some credit then Foggy?[/quote]
I have said since the start, I would like to see us challenging at least for the play offs this season.  I must admit having seen the quality in this league I think we should be getting in the top 6.
Adams has credit for a set of results which have us at 8th in the table a position that at the start of the season I considered just about passable.  I for one hope this is the turning point in the season and he succeeds.  I hope he looks at his squad, and gets us playing to their strengths in a fashion that will get results.
I like the look of O''Neil, Jerome, and Cuellar - these look like decent signings - not convinced about Hooiveld, Grabban, Lafferty or Vadis just yet.
I''m not certain we did any great business in the exits of Bassong, Pilkington, Surman, Fox and E Bennett.
I am hoping the ''football committee'' is shutdown post-haste, the ''norwich way'' and ''attacking mantra'' are consigned to the dustbin, and Adams can continue with a more pragmatic approach given the players we have decided to keep at the club.
If the club want to play ''the norwich way'' in future, it might help if they start signing and keeping players who can actually pass the ball.

[/quote]

As you probably know I''m a fan of the managerial set up that we are striving to establish. When Lambert went he took his whole team with him. In comes Hughton with another whole team who all leave with him too. There is no continuity with that. Just a tear it up and start again policy each and everytime the manager leaves. Whether you''re a fan who believes they know better than the boards and managers or whether your a fan who has an opinion but realises that opinion may not actually be right, you have to admit that tearing it up and starting again every 18 months / 2 years is not a good thing. And whether the manager is Paul Lambert or Chris Hughton 18 months/  / 2 years is all you''ll get. Adams has already been in situ for longer that half the Championship managers so that stat alone should be enough to justify what our club are trying to do.

I''ve said before that I believe many are giving Adams a rough ride. Especially those who stuck by Hughton for so long. Seems they need to be some of the first to go public with their displeasure this time. I''ve also said that although I can see why they did it I wouldn''t have sacked Adams after WBA. I would have given him the rest of the season. He had lost the fans but hadn''t lost the players. He might have got one more result against one of those big sides. Past results suggest he could. But whether he did or not we could have changed managers in the summer. Had we been relegated under Hughton and Adams new this season he''d have got longer I''m sure. And if we''d stayed up we''d have been fishing in a different pool for the new manager. Although Swansea are fishing in our pool and caught a similar manager. But then the "Swansea way" had long been established.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Why''s every one look at the last ten ? How about 20 ?       Played 20    W-8   D-6   L6     GOALS  F30 A24It''s not all Doom and  Gloom !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fn8BQPBir0[/quote][:D][Y][/quote]
(facepalm)
[/quote]Despite all that, after 20 games, we are a mere 3 points behind where we were in our promotion season and with an identical goal difference. Derby''s total of 38 points is the lowest ever total to lead the Championship at this stage since the division was renamed in 2004/5.Anything over 80 points will have a good chance of an auto spot.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I''ve said before that I believe many are giving Adams a rough ride. Especially those who stuck by Hughton for so long. Seems they need to be some of the first to go public with their displeasure this time. I''ve also said that although I can see why they did it I wouldn''t have sacked Adams after WBA. I would have given him the rest of the season. [/quote]

Presume you mean Hughton there....I wouldn''t have sacked him then after.

I, like you, supported the board in their persisting with Hughton but always felt they panicked at the last minute - whereas they could have held out to the end of the season.  Hughton, for all his faults, had managing experience. Adams does not. For it to have worked with Adams, we needed to kick on and the opposite seems to have happened - we have regressed (until yesterday).  

What I find hardest to accept is a failing management team that has no experience - no strategies built in or tried and tested methods that they have used in similar circumstances - because they haven''t been in those situations as managers before.   So while we were winning it was fine, but the test was always going to be when we hit a bad patch - and it just got worse and worse until yesterday.   Maybe the penny has dropped. Maybe Phelan will be the key to success, but giving Adams a rough ride is something he will have to get used to until he grows in the job sufficiently to say  "I''ve been there and done that".    He will either sink or swim - and that is why I have no qualms in criticising him so vehemently - he has to rise to the occasion or get out of the job imo. 

Or perhaps because he lack experience he deserves a bit more support, rather than being clobbered because of his lack of it.

If this works out for us it will be great for the club, it''s something worth fighting for and supporting, not unconditionally, but support nevertheless.

The idea that he gets a harder time because of his inexperience is perverse to say the least.

To be fair Jenks until last home game, the support at the ground has been pretty good considering the expectation of the fans and board! Given the budget and players we are underperforming.

If you consider that former players are also vocally critical it must say something!

I liked what Iwan said about the board being distant from the fans.....this from someone closer to the club than any of us.

Things are poor, we all want Adams to work out, with Phelan it might just get better.

I don''t think what we say on here has any bearing on the grand scheme but the local broadcasters and ex players are the ones who have been vocal.

Ruddy''s example last week shows that he has passion to respnd.

I bet the crowd come Saturday will be behind the team & manager......it will be down to the team to respond.

Last thing anyone notice without Turner we kept a clean sheet!

[quote user="Jenkins"]Or perhaps because he lack experience he deserves a bit more support, rather than being clobbered because of his lack of it.

If this works out for us it will be great for the club, it''s something worth fighting for and supporting, not unconditionally, but support nevertheless.

The idea that he gets a harder time because of his inexperience is perverse to say the least.[/quote]Not really.  The remit was to put together a promotion winning team.  On recent evidence, that has been so far from the case that he deserves every bit of criticism.   Its been rough.   He''ll learn from it or fail.  If that sounds harsh, thats tough, but it is a harsh reality of football management, as Gunn found to his cost.  If you are experienced you have fall back positions that you have used before.  Someone with no experience is learning as he goes along.   All well and good if that learning goes hand in hand with success, but if that learning on the job leads to things getting worse, then the message is clear.   Improve or go.  Its as clear cut as that.

He must be judged on his results like any other manager, but when you knowingly appoint an inexperienced manager there is little point in then chastising him for being inexperienced.

[quote user="Jenkins"]He must be judged on his results like any other manager, but when you knowingly appoint an inexperienced manager there is little point in then chastising him for being inexperienced.[/quote]

I am criticising him based on his performance as  manager. The fact that he is inexperienced is part of the issue.  Yes, you can criticise the board that put him there too, but that is a  bigger question.  He is the manager. He is the one that has to grow into the job and get experience as he is going along - that is how all managers start.  But most new managers are not in the position where immediate promotion is the remit.   He took the job on - he accepted the position and the expectations.  He has to overcome his inexperience and prove he has what it takes to fulfill his remit. 

As I''ve said before. He''s not inexperienced compared to us lot. He''s inexperienced compared to his peers. Like Lennon and Mackay....................................................... Oh......................

Didn''t those two used to write songs[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

As I''ve said before. He''s not inexperienced compared to us lot. He''s inexperienced compared to his peers. Like Lennon and Mackay....................................................... Oh......................

Didn''t those two used to write songs[:^)]

[/quote]

Ok, I''ll crawl back into me shell.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

As you probably know I''m a fan of the managerial set up that we are striving to establish. When Lambert went he took his whole team with him. In comes Hughton with another whole team who all leave with him too. There is no continuity with that. Just a tear it up and start again policy each and everytime the manager leaves. [/quote]

If Adams is a success, he could well be poached and take his whole team with him as happened with Lambert.  I understand what the club is trying to achieve, but they are going about it in a funny way.  All this talk of playing ''the norwich way'', and yet technical players like Surman and Fox are allowed to walk away from the club.  

In a way Swansea were very lucky as Martinez and Sousa started their continental brand of football, but their board were smart in building on these initial successes.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I''ve also said that although I can see why they did it I wouldn''t have sacked Adams after WBA. I would have given him the rest of the season. He had lost the fans but hadn''t lost the players. He might have got one more result against one of those big sides. Past results suggest he could.[/quote]

I agree completely, although I was critical of Hughton''s ambition free style, the timing of the sacking was appalling.

He could be poached but its more likely one of his coaches would be. Ken Brown and Dave Stringer were hugely successful and never poached although Mel Machin was.

Those teams were assembled at Norwich like this one. Lambert and Hughton''s teams came here snd left here as a package.

I know that football is about results but I believe that we are building something for the longer term. Inexperience becomes a problem if the support is not there. Adams has a commitee around him and finally has the older head that was identified as a need over the summer.

I don''t believe that replacing our current set up would do anything other than satiate the understandable frustration of the fans who want it all and want it now.

Had we lost 1-6 this place would be heaving. Sad really.

This has been the best part of Christmas (I had the in laws visiting)...a 6-1 win and the usual dicks firmly back in their cages.

Merry Christmas Neil, you earnt this one.

This was a good all round performance and cements that turning of a corner........great 4 game run and comes with the introduction of Phelan with his years of Manure experience.

Not saying its all his doing but fits that final piece of experience missing.

Great to watch with a final product.

Long may it continue.

Are we still persisting with Johnson in midfield and Whittaker right back with Martin centre back? Or is that not on Phelan''s remit....