Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Positives if Alex Neil is the new manager

Firstly I''m sure the club have been looking at him for a while, I somehow doubt they have just thrown a dart at a board and selected the 1st person it hit.

Now for some positives

He has taken one of the middle Scottish 2nd level clubs and certainly the smallest Scottish top level club to 3rd in the table and beaten Celtic.

He has a 56% win percentage

Many good mangers never succeeded playing at the highest level.

Lambert was a relatively unknown when he came to us and we all know what happened with him.

Being young he is unlikely to bring his own backroom team and is likely to work with Phelan (despite what some of you say is still a top coach)

Compensation is likely to be minimal

He seems to get players to gel as a team and manages to be teams above them often with convincing score lines

Because he is a leftfield choice nobody has any preconcieved notions of what he is like, similar to Lambert. Most posters already have opinions of a lot of the names being mentioned, good and bad, which could have carried on the divisiveness.Yes, as has been mentioned, it is a gamble like all appointments, but at least I don''t feel underwhelmed like I have over the years. Let''s see what happens.[Y]

this could be a very good set up - new young manager but with the guidance of phelan who has worked with the "best" in alex fergie...

looking forward to bmouth now! :D

Last time we had a debacle of this type, the club was in a good position to progress, at the start of the League 1 season.  We are in a good position to progress this season too, so a new manager coming in does have a reasonable chance of working out if  he has the right attributes.  Two of the attributes that Neil would bring look like exactly what we need - he is a strong character and won''t put up with big egos.  Also very vocal, so hopefully will show that passion from the touchline (if he is not playing too).   

None of the other names touted were inspiring in the least, so if the club have found another potential Scottish gem of a manager, it will be a good thing for everybody and on we go with the roller coaster, this time with someone with a bit of gumption in charge.

This is a real flip of the dice but strangely i am quite excited by it. If it goes toes up then not a lot lost as our season is already going no where and he will be gone come the end of the season. If on the other hand he is a young managerial genius then it could be Lambert Part 2 for a few seasons. I was confident Adams would be a flop this guy will be all or nothing and may just be a very pleasant surprise

I think this is a positive appointment if it goes ahead, because McNally has to get this one right, to preserve his reputation, if not his job. Therefore I suspect a good deal of detailed research has already been undertaken, regarding style of play, temperament, man management etc.  And for those who throw the "cheap option" at this possible appointment, it would be far from that because if it fails and we have to pay him off say at the end of the season, then appoint a new man at probably high cost, the sums will not be insignificant.  This one needs to work, and we must give it a fair crack. Thinking back I started supporting City under a Scottish manager, Archie McCauley, have seen quite a few since, Willie Reid, Lambert of course, and hope AR will be successful!

Not surprised ,, not pleasant .

I can''t believe people saying its a good idea , the same ones who thought Lennon , Robinson , Garcia etc were a bad idea .

If he gets the job ,, I hope he turns out to be another Eddie Howe , but I cant help but feel this season could go from bad to worse from here .

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]In reply to you LDC ,, he is 33 years old ,, I am not sure how much respect he will be able to command from our players , I seem to recall another young manager who had a go with two top premiership teams ,, how did that work out ?[/quote]

Some people command respect, whatever their age.   He has made the cross over from player to manager and is apparently well suited to the role.  I was hoping we would find a no nonsense manager who will be strong enough to counter the delicate egos that some of our players seem to have, so perhaps it isn''t a case of commanding respect, but more demanding that the players perform and if they can''t find it in themselves to  do it then they can get lost and we''ll find some that will.  

I''m gob smacked by this potetial appointment.

The board have chosen to gamble yet again. .

A player manager from Hamilton. You couldn''t write it. Surely there''s safer bets out there?

I think the argument about respect is a valid one. 33 is very young for manger, and very rarely works - although very rarely tried.

If appointed and starts to ruffle a few feathers amongst our former Premier League good luck to him they certainly need a shake up.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]In reply to you LDC ,, he is 33 years old ,, I am not sure how much respect he will be able to command from our players , I seem to recall another young manager who had a go with two top premiership teams ,, how did that work out ?[/quote]

Some people command respect, whatever their age.   He has made the cross over from player to manager and is apparently well suited to the role.  I was hoping we would find a no nonsense manager who will be strong enough to counter the delicate egos that some of our players seem to have, so perhaps it isn''t a case of commanding respect, but more demanding that the players perform and if they can''t find it in themselves to  do it then they can get lost and we''ll find some that will. [/quote]
Very few managers can get, and retain respect purely on their playing career.
Respect is gained from the person himself, his personality and the way he puts himself across.
Therefore I agree, Neil can command respect regardless of his playing / management career...if he has the right personality. Scottish reports suggest he does.

If it were the ''cheap'' option we would have gone for Phelan. I''m not, by saying this, that we''ve gone for premium either. However, I''m quite excited to see what impact he''ll make.

I get that it is risky, brave but risky. What I don''t get is the cheap option dig. The cheaper options are to go for someone out of a job. Wages may be lower but there will be compensation to be paid.

Anyway positives if he is the new boss, he isn''t Sherwood, Hoddle, Robson, Warnock, Ince etc.

I agree. This has McNally all over it,a bit like the Lambert signing out of the blue. Young hungry Scottish manager who has his team playing good football. It seems he was on the list in the summer and his progression since has improved his position.

I like the idea that he is someone with no links to Norwich and can come in with a totally fresh outlook. He likes attacking football and seems to be able to motivate players. For our players he could be the not so familiar face that makes them work harder.

He also appears to give young players an opportunity which is something many posters have criticised Adams for not doing.

The board will never do right for doing wrong.

I am excited by this possible appointment and will be more than interested to see who he brings in and sends out.

If Bryan gunn was going to be manager. All of you would be happy and excited about it and calling for his head after the first month.

Will be no different with this Alex Neil whoever he is?

Scottish football is absolutely crud. All the decent Scottish players play in England so don''t give me all that.

It''s an uninspiring choice of manager mid table mediocrity here we come

Absolutely disappointed and pi$$ed off to the max

This feels like the right thing to do, but at the wrong time. The managers around clearly don''t stand up so we should get an up and coming. The season is still to play for....but with this possible appointment he has to adapt quickly or the best we can hope is a late playoff charge..I''m excited though. Seems like a guy personality wise I''d like at the club.

For those who go on about his age Karl Robinson who we have been highly linked with is only 34

In all honesty all I can see is positives here. The board have identified and targeted their man and look to have got him, thus showing there is a plan in place and it isn''t the same names being thrown around for every job, the complete opposite to the summers ''European search''.He is an unknown quantity but up and coming and will be hungry to succeed, with a name such as Warnock we all knew what we would be getting. Yes it''s a gamble but so is every managerial appointment. It may be a master stroke or go tits up but I think it''s a chance worth taking over the other names being thrown around ( other than Rosler who I would have also wanted)

Buh wrote the following post at 07/01/2015 8:13 PM:

The sainted Eddie Howe is only 37

Exactly. My biggest concern is will the players respect him? I would say there is no chance of Bassong coming back now!

I''m not worried that he''s not a big name it''ll be what sort of person he is on a day to day basis. If someone has achieved a lot in the game you could respect what they''ve achieved and then meet them and find out they happen to be a gifted footballer but a prize pillock. Just as a ungifted footballer can be charismatic natural leader as a person on a daily basis, so ultimately command respect.

I can understand the worry as I know nothing about him either, but hopefully the appointment is so "out there" that someone must have seen something special.

The clamouring for Karl Robinson or Ernie Howe is now a distant memory now that we are looking at a 33 year old. Didnt Mourinho and Brian Clough also start at such young ages.I think this is a risk worth taking relative to the other choices available on the open market.

The positives are that heads might just roll when this inevitably goes t1t5 up. When challenged not one person was prepared to select from several videos linked to and offer up evidence than the Accies play decent football under Neil. This is because they play stodgy rubbish that is embarrassing to watch.We might as well have got Wee Burney out of Rab C Nesbitt to manage the team, but unfortunately the actor that played him is dead.

[quote user="JF"]Buh wrote the following post at 07/01/2015 8:13 PM:

The sainted Eddie Howe is only 37

Exactly. My biggest concern is will the players respect him? I would say there is no chance of Bassong coming back now![/quote]

That certainly is a positive.