Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Managerial Candidates

It has to be one from the list of candidates below in my opinion:

1.Lennon

2.Howe

3.Culverhouse (Yes I know he is unproven, but would get the immediate backing of the current bunch and played a massive part in Lambert''s success)

It will be Phelan, he has been here and we have still been crap! He is unproven and just as much of a gamble. I would give Culverhouse the benefit of the doubt as he has worked with the majority of the current squad in the past.

I think Wigan have a shocking team this year with an awful pitch at home not suited to playing football, no fans to drive them on, very little money etc. Malky is also struggling to get them going.

Our team this year is so much better individually than Wigans team this or last year was it''s not even funny. If we appoint him, and he fails I will never offer an opinion on potential managers again! Because I''m certain he''s the right man and if I''m wrong then I obviously have no clue what I''m talking about :P

I too think it will be Phelan, unfortunately. What we need, however, is exactly what we needed in the Summer, an individual with bite to both challenge the players and the board. It should have been Lennon in the Summer. Let''s hope it''s Warnock now.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]If Mike Phelan does ok in the next few games the job will be his. I am convinced he will have demanded that opportunity when he agreed to join the club a few weeks ago with Adams potentially one game away from the sack. Its probably why he agreed to come to us at such a point in time when he has no connection with Adams as far as I am aware.

This is the chance Phelan has been looking for and it will be interesting to see how we set about things over the next few games. Its a great opportunity for him. Good squad which has been underperforming, just outside the playoffs and outside chance of top 2.[/quote]

Mick Phelan was coach here for a time when Adams played Jim.

Am I right to understand by this post that you''d be happy if Phelan got the gig?

[/quote]

I''d forgotten that Nutty - I still didn''t detect though that they knew each other well when Phelan was unveiled and find it hard to believe that Phelan did not at least have half an eye on the top job when he agreed to come given he had been linked with manager''s jobs elsewhere.

If we were starting from scratch would Phelan be my first choice as manager? No probably not, especially if we could rewind to the summer or even earlier in the season before Phelan came when there were others available but unfortunately we now are where we are, others have been snapped up and there is not at present an obvious candidate I can think of who would be my overwhelming favourite. I think i would therefore say that i will be "happier" with Phelan as manager than Adams, especially if he can bring in a decent coach to work with him. In the circumstances it may be the best option right now, unlike the summer when i think we should have brought in Lennon. I think Phelan has more experience in the game, possibly will command more respect from the players and may be better at "managing" big egos then perhaps Neil was. I also continue to believe we have a squad capable of top two in this league and do not think it will take a great deal to get us going. I think we are now more likely to do that than we were had Adams remained in the hot seat.

wigan have got basically the same team haven''t they? I may be wrong, They still have a fantastic midfield but their defence individually has always been sh*t, though Rosler did really well for them last year

I don''t follow foreign football but there must be better managers than some that have been mentioned time to scour Europe for real this time

A lot of people wanted to keep Adams based on a small cluster of purple patches in his otherwise, poor, short career. Rosler has one short black mark on an otherwise excellent career, the man who replaced him (Someone who got a weaker team than ours promoted) is also failing, without even trying to play football.

No offence to Wigan, but our club has so much more to offer than Wigan, it''s just not an inspiring club to manage, they have no support, a team full of average physical players bought by Coyle etc. We''re nothing special as a club honestly, but being manager here should have a person much more passion and drive to do well than being at Wigan!

*Should give

Anyway I have my heart set on Rosler and I hope the board do to. But I''ll support whoever they appoint unless they show themselves to be completely out of their depth like Adams. Even Hughton got 18 months from me. Oh well fingers crossed we make the right choice!

Don''t think the board will risk appointing another newbie(not with us on their back anyway!), so that lets out Phelan and Culverhouse.They sat on their hands and watched Lennon & Pulis drift away, Howe will never leave Bournemouth again, so has to be Rosler for me.Would have loved to get Dyche, but can''t see him leaving Burnley yet.

I see Gunn is 33-1 to make a comeback. Just shows you how dumb bookmakers can be when they''ve got him in the betting Glenn Hoddle for nme

In order of preference:

1. Lennon

2. Warnock

3. McCarthy

In order of liklihood:

1. Phelan

2. Holt

I''m not entirely convinced that we will scour Europe beyond these two. Let''s hope a lesson or two has been learnt.

We have to move away from the mentality of getting in a manager just because he is half credible and has played for our club. I would not want anyone associated with this club in some prior playing capacity. I firmly believe we need someone totally different, out of the mould, someone with bite and some experience and new methods. My overwhelming choice would be Uwe Rosler, the question is whether that would be acceptable to Phelan as I think we need to keep him for sure, particularly with all his contacts and experience as a coach.

Warnock is not such a bad call but maybe a bit too old school, not sure how it would work. Howe and Mcarthy are pie on the sky, but Karl Robinson may also be a good shout.

Some of the names on the odds list! [img]http://www.thefootballforum.net/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png[/img]Christophe Galtier? I''m sure I got some of his aftershave for Christmas.[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/t8x5lg.png[/IMG]

True making plans, I often read NorthStandChat because it''s a very interesting general forum if you ignore the Brighton stuff, a couple of them have had a bet on Oscar Garcia based on nothing except him being 66-1 somewhere and suddenly he''s in the 20''s, just like that.

I only brought up odds because because for an obvious candidate to be that far out I assumed he''d said he wasn''t going to manage this year or in England this year or something. The top of those odds won''t be the boards shortlist (I hope)

Mark Warburton. I don''t mind someone relatively short on experience if they''ve shown they have the ability - and he has. I think he is on a one-year rolling contract so it wouldn''t surprise me if he''d be interested.

Maybe Carl Robinson''s worth considering too.

For me it ahs to be someone up and coming who''s hungry for success, as Lambert was when we first had him. I they both fit that bill.

If Phelan is interested I''d be keen to know why. he has never apparently shown a wish to manage previously, if he had he would ''m sure have had a chance by now.

I''m surprised how far Ralf Rangnick is up that list rummun, he would be the stand out candidate for everyone I would''ve thought. However, personally I can''t see it happening in a million years, but perhaps i''m just cynical.

Doubt Phelan had any desire to leave the Sir AF team, why would he.

By his own admission he needed some time off after so maybe now is the only chance he has ever had to be a number 1 so if it''s a desire to do it, he''d out his name in the frame.

If he gets it, wouldn''t be surprised at all to see Meulensteen arrive to assist or vice versa!!

Liked the idea of Rosler before still do now.

A real left field shout might be from Micky Mellon from Shrewsbury. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micky_Mellon

I have no confidence in the stowmarket 2 or McNasty making the right appointment. It should be Neil Lennon it should have been Neil Lennon in the summer but I doubt they will make a decent appointment

[quote user="DanielHammond"]I was just wondering what people thought of ally mccoist? Hasn''t been mentioned yet and he has experience at a big club as well.[/quote]

Sure, if we want our warm ups to be piggy in the middle, our shooting practise to be firing the ball at the managers arse while he moons them, no restrictions on diet, no tactical approach whatsoever, a manger who showers naked with the players, never gets mad and gives the team tea and biscuits at half time.....

I know you''re just offering an opinion but that has got to be the worst shout ever

I honestly don''t see why anybody would want phelan same reasons for not wanting him for not wanting adams

Absolutely zero experience as a manager

We really need a new face in to change things about

Christophe Galtier is in the running for the Newcastle job, I dont think he''d think of coming here. He''s currently managing a team with a certain RVW in it. :)

[quote user="Darth Catbeard"][quote user="DanielHammond"]I was just wondering what people thought of ally mccoist? Hasn''t been mentioned yet and he has experience at a big club as well.[/quote]

Sure, if we want our warm ups to be piggy in the middle, our shooting practise to be firing the ball at the managers arse while he moons them, no restrictions on diet, no tactical approach whatsoever, a manger who showers naked with the players, never gets mad and gives the team tea and biscuits at half time.....

I know you''re just offering an opinion but that has got to be the worst shout ever[/quote]

just an opinion buddy, just seems that every other manager is on the bookies list apart from him. I would still go for lennon. Just pay the compo for him and if he takes us up then that will seem like a very good investment

Can''t help but think that Phelan was tipped the wink when he came here with Adams then on the verge of the Spanish archer although if nothing changes in the game or games Phelan now has in temporary charge the Board might have dug a hole for themselves.

Warnock, but fear Phelan.

And as an aside, lets hope the stupendously silly committee idea gets the boot too. Unless it has a proper experienced Director of Football, not the nonsensical Technical Director ,  who once played for Diss.