Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Managerial Candidates

So after Adams has left Norwich now have the opportunity to get someone in.

Personally I''d go with Warnock, I know we all hate him because he''s a pr1ck, but he''s had experience in getting teams (with much worse squads than ours) promoted.

Who would your choice be?

It''s not going to be tony pulis so that won''t please the FIFA/champ manager chattering idiot masses for a start.

I think it''ll be Tim Sherwood.

Less or similar experience to Adams though, will people moan about that as soon as results become indifferent? Course they will

Rosler is the only outstanding obvious candidate. Zola has proven he''s an average manager but may be better than Adams but I''m hoping the board (Who should have a far greater knowledge of every managers strengths than fans) can maybe find a great candidate who we haven''t thought of, maybe even one in employment.

If not, and we can''t temp Rosler then it''ll be between Phelan and Zola for me, depending on how Phelan does in a caretaker role

[quote user="ellis206"]

I think it''ll be Tim Sherwood.

Less or similar experience to Adams though, will people moan about that as soon as results become indifferent? Course they will

[/quote]

I liked Sherwood at spurs but i''m not sure he is what we need.

Saying that, even though Warnock is more what we need, i''d rather Sherwood!

Not sure but McCarthy for me. I don''t thin Warnock would get us up.

Maybe Di Matteo, is he available?

We all know if Adams goes it will be Phelan or Holt!

I can get 33-1 on Rosler being the next manager! That can''t be right surely? He''s by far the obvious candidate, has never averaged below a 40% win rate, is still only 46, is a free agent, would command respect, plays good football etc

Yes he''s had one poor half season with a Wigan side Malky also can''t get going...He''s head and shoulders above everyone else

I''d give Phelan a go...alongside Lord Lambert''s tactical man...

...ladies, I bring you Ian Culverhouse.

(Phelan & Culverhouse were defo in the same side).

I agree with JJ.

Eddie Howe is clearly a very talented manager who gets the best out of a team of players that probably none of us would choose to play for us, add to that the style that they play and he has to be up there on a wish list of candidates and would he see value in working with someone like Phelan, sure he would.

Would he be enticed by a load more money with still half a season to play for, if it''s enough money then I''m sure he''d jump ship. Would probably end up being a Lambert type situation if he proved his worth.

The only question mark for me is his love of Bournemouth, he left them before to go to Burnley and very quickly went back.

[quote user="Darth Catbeard"]I can get 33-1 on Rosler being the next manager! That can''t be right surely? He''s by far the obvious candidate, has never averaged below a 40% win rate, is still only 46, is a free agent, would command respect, plays good football etc

Yes he''s had one poor half season with a Wigan side Malky also can''t get going...He''s head and shoulders above everyone else[/quote]

Just had a look. Denis Wise is 16/1. [:O]

I guess the bookies think Phelan is a done deal.

If Mike Phelan does ok in the next few games the job will be his. I am convinced he will have demanded that opportunity when he agreed to join the club a few weeks ago with Adams potentially one game away from the sack. Its probably why he agreed to come to us at such a point in time when he has no connection with Adams as far as I am aware.

This is the chance Phelan has been looking for and it will be interesting to see how we set about things over the next few games. Its a great opportunity for him. Good squad which has been underperforming, just outside the playoffs and outside chance of top 2.

[quote user="Indy"]Not sure but McCarthy for me. I don''t thin Warnock would get us up.

Maybe Di Matteo, is he available?

We all know if Adams goes it will be Phelan or Holt![/quote]

Mccarthy won''t leave Ipswich what are better than us atm sadly, Di Matteo is at Shalke I think, so no chance, Adams is gone already.

I''m not placing any stock into the odds right at the moment. I''d just expect Rosler to be a bit closer, I was wondering if I''d missed some article about him taking a break from management or something Nutty because like I said, unless Phelan does well in the meantime there is no other candidate that comes close.

Also on Eddie Howe, even if we could get him I imagine he''d make us brilliant in a few seasons and after a few windows, but I''m not sure he''s what we need this season. We''d be in a better position if we scrape up this year than if we spent time rebuilding under him anyway.

Good manager, not what we need right now.

I don''t mean to have a go but when people suggest Mccarthy or Howe, are they serious? They''re 1st and 2nd in the league. Yes we have a better squad but they have momentum atm, and we all know how important that is for managers from getting up last time. Also look what happened when Howe decided to move away from Bournemouth as well before, not very inspiring I would suggest.

As a long shot, what about a Phelan/Meulensteen combination that worked well at Man Utd.

Yes Meulensteen failed at Fulham but he didn''t have Phelan with him. If they were good enough for Sir AF then maybe they''d do the job for us as a pair?!

Just a thought.....

[quote user="Jim Smith"]If Mike Phelan does ok in the next few games the job will be his. I am convinced he will have demanded that opportunity when he agreed to join the club a few weeks ago with Adams potentially one game away from the sack. Its probably why he agreed to come to us at such a point in time when he has no connection with Adams as far as I am aware.

This is the chance Phelan has been looking for and it will be interesting to see how we set about things over the next few games. Its a great opportunity for him. Good squad which has been underperforming, just outside the playoffs and outside chance of top 2.[/quote]

Mick Phelan was coach here for a time when Adams played Jim.

Am I right to understand by this post that you''d be happy if Phelan got the gig?

So in reality we have no chance of Howe or McCarthy.....Di matteo & Zola have jobs.

So it''s Phelan but Adams will come back in some capacity.....1st team coach with Holt & Phelan......nothing really changes in the set up.

Or Warnock get the job.....all change and upheaval. We are in a right mess and fair play to Adams for walking away under lressure from the fans.

[quote user="Darth Catbeard"]I''m not placing any stock into the odds right at the moment. I''d just expect Rosler to be a bit closer, I was wondering if I''d missed some article about him taking a break from management or something Nutty because like I said, unless Phelan does well in the meantime there is no other candidate that comes close.[/quote]

My problem with Rosler is he struggled with a good squad at Wigan, with quality in it, so why would here be different?

For me if the money was right for Howe, I believe he''d come, it''s a fickle thing but if you have it you''re an attractive option! And in this league we probably are in the top 3 for budget.

If not I believe Warnock would soon sort out who is committed to the cause and ruffle a few feathers.

The biggest problem we have is the board... They''ll want a yes man.

Indy wrote the following post at 05/01/2015 2:48 PM:

Or Warnock get the job.....all change and upheaval. We are in a right mess and fair play to Adams for walking away under lressure from the fans.

--------------------

We''d be in a bigger mess if Adams had stayed, luckily he could see that, and credit to him for that.

If I was a manager like Warnock I would love Phelan as part of my back room staff

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I don''t mean to have a go but when people suggest Mccarthy or Howe, are they serious? They''re 1st and 2nd in the league. Yes we have a better squad but they have momentum atm, and we all know how important that is for managers from getting up last time. Also look what happened when Howe decided to move away from Bournemouth as well before, not very inspiring I would suggest.[/quote]Wishful thinking, but we can offer McCarthy more money and on paper, a better squad.

Maybe a really out there, but what about Ralf Rangnick, did really well for shalke before his illness and is definitely looking to get back into football management and is currently director of football for rb Salzburg and Leipzig,

would certainly show some intent on our part but maybe looking for a premier league job??