Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

1902 Bottle Bar.

Thought I would drop in after the game to the new bar at the back of the Jarrold stand which was the old Lotus shop. Oh dear me what a let down unless you call a bar three tables put together draped in a Carlsberg flag with just a till sitting on it. Just two tall fridges standing amongst the old shop shelving. A total of nine club staff milling around not including the steward on the door. I have seen more life in a tramps vest and am sure there is more atmosphere on the moon. Not impressed at all and as for the prices don''t ask. The bars on Riverside have nothing to worry about.

I meant to say carling flag not Carlsberg and quite honestly there are better bars put up the Royal Norfolk Show and they are only there 2 days.

I went in there before kick off.  Given it''s called a Bottle Bar there were no bottles of bitter just cans of Worthington at £3.90 for less than a pint.  Why no choice of the many decent local ales? Oh yes, an exclusive deal with a bland national beer I guess.  Only saw one plasma TV to be able to see scores / team news.  A wasted opportunity to create a decent bar as a contrast to the concourses.   

walked past pre kick off and thought it looked a good idea but how you have described it til has put me off, to be honest yellas isn''t too bad for a prematch pint and if you walk through the crowds toward the back it doesn''t take long to get served and prices compare favourably to most pubs in the city.

When I saw the thread title I thought you were going to tell us about when you got barred in 1902 for bottling somebody. [:S]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think if Tilly, Lapp and Smiffy went there they''d have a combined age of 1902...[/quote]I can''t stand cheeky kids. [8o|]

This bar sounds so naff.

Its a real shame that there is such a lack of decent pubs close to the ground now.

I miss the Ferry Boat and the Clarence Harbour. In moments of weakness I even sometimes yearn for the Kingsway and its special charm.

I am too young to remember the Jolly Maltsters - any of you more senior posters ever drink in there?

This is also a bar that sells drink and they didn''t have a toilet.

Actually, that''s a lie. They do have a toilet (one) but that was closed on Saturday.

I had one drink needed the loo so went to the Holiday Inn and drank there instead!

[quote user="Gipsy Lane"]This is also a bar that sells drink and they didn''t have a toilet.

Actually, that''s a lie. They do have a toilet (one) but that was closed on Saturday.

I had one drink needed the loo so went to the Holiday Inn and drank there instead![/quote]

That really sounds p*ss poor!

[quote user="Gipsy Lane"]This is also a bar that sells drink and they didn''t have a toilet. Actually, that''s a lie. They do have a toilet (one) but that was closed on Saturday. I had one drink needed the loo so went to the Holiday Inn and drank there instead![/quote]

Now that would have been a VERY big problem for Tilly, Lapp and Smiffy.

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]I am too young to remember the Jolly Maltsters

- any of you more senior posters ever drink in there?[/quote]

A few of us used to meet up there in the early 80s when we used to have some sort of membership card to get in. Later we used the Kingsway with a similar entry system.

Not sure about more senior posters. Best to ask Tilly Lapp or Smiffy.......

[quote user="Kathy "]

[quote user="Gipsy Lane"]This is also a bar that sells drink and they didn''t have a toilet. Actually, that''s a lie. They do have a toilet (one) but that was closed on Saturday. I had one drink needed the loo so went to the Holiday Inn and drank there instead![/quote]

Now that would have been a VERY big problem for Tilly, Lapp and Smiffy.

[/quote]The only big problem I''ve found drinking in the Holiday Inn was getting served....[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]I am too young to remember the Jolly Maltsters

- any of you more senior posters ever drink in there?[/quote]

A few of us used to meet up there in the early 80s when we used to have some sort of membership card to get in. Later we used the Kingsway with a similar entry system.

Not sure about more senior posters. Best to ask Tilly Lapp or Smiffy.......[/quote]Molly''s other half (can''t remember his name) used to open the side door and let us in straight after the match. Molly came down to open up later. We used to have some serious card games going in that back room.Poor old plod used to pace up and down outside freezing his nuts off but could never get anything on us. Still, he put the experience to good use later when he got his own pub. [;)] [:D]