Sign in to follow this  
militantcanary

Bassong to Watford?

I thought a fundamental rule in football was to not to sell or loan to your rivals, apparently according to the daily blackshirt Bassong has gone to Watford for the rest of the year. Unless McNally has worked it so they pay all his wages this seems on the strange side of bizzare

Great news - a massive earner from the wage bill. He''s no threat anymore.

absolutely criminal if we''re allowing him out on loan to a side level on points with us?....he should be made to stay here ''til January, if Watford or anyone else offer an acceptable transfer fee then to buy him permanently then, then fair enough.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]This would be utterly idiotic if it happened.[/quote]This.We have to disregard the personal feelings towards Seb.Loaning a good defender to a potential rival is daft.

If he goes to Watford I have absolutely no doubt that he will do an excellent job for them. Historically, his first season at a new club has also been his best followed by a dip in form afterwards. Whether that can be put down entirely to complacency on his part we can but speculate.

I have no idea whether the club or Bassong is to blame for this whole state of affairs - although experience often tells me the truth is to be found somewhere in between. But ultimately, the whole saga is a tragedy in my opinion for both parties.

From Norwich''s perspective If Bassong plays to his potential he is comfortably Norwich''s best centre back and for my money the best centre back in this division. He could play a big part in getting the club back up. Instead, he''s proving to be a significant drain on club resources and nothing more.

What makes the situation worse is that despite having great numbers in that area we don''t appear blessed with great quality given that Hooiveld has been unconvincing and Adams preferred to play Martin there over either Miquel or Cuellar against Charlton.

It''s also sad from Bassong''s position because he is good enough to play regular Premiership football and be a fixture in the Cameroon set up. If something can be worked out we would be much stronger for it as a club.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Jim Smith"]This would be utterly idiotic if it happened.[/quote]This.We have to disregard the personal feelings towards Seb.Loaning a good defender to a potential rival is daft.[/quote]

Not really.  If Watford started doing better because they had Bassong, it means they would be taking more points off other teams which would help us - and he would not be able to play against us.   Like it or not there are going to be some other teams that challenge us for top position and Watford could be one of them.   If we inadvertently help them, it makes little difference to what we have to do as a club - and that is simply to win our own games.   Do that and it matters not a lot what other teams do.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="Jim Smith"]This would be utterly idiotic if it happened.[/quote]This.We have to disregard the personal feelings towards Seb.Loaning a good defender to a potential rival is daft.[/quote]

Not really.  If Watford started doing better because they had Bassong, it means they would be taking more points off other teams which would help us - and he would not be able to play against us.   Like it or not there are going to be some other teams that challenge us for top position and Watford could be one of them.   If we inadvertently help them, it makes little difference to what we have to do as a club - and that is simply to win our own games.   Do that and it matters not a lot what other teams do.

[/quote]

No it would not help us. Watford are one of our two or three genuine rivals for the top two. We should be doing nothing to help them in any way, shape or form.

Obvious troll (paper) is obvious... At this stage of the season you can only do emergency loans with a maximum duration of 93 days so this falls flat at the first hurdle.

If he is fit this is madness if his head is right and he wants to play without doubt the best centre half at the club and a captain too. Let''s see how good Adams managerial skills are now.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="Jim Smith"]This would be utterly idiotic if it happened.[/quote]This.We have to disregard the personal feelings towards Seb.Loaning a good defender to a potential rival is daft.[/quote]

[/quote]Well that is pretty obvious, but as yesterday and Charlton proove we need our rivals to fail just as much/worse than we do. We can''t give another team an advantage because we are going to get a few of these frustrating results. If we finish in third or worse because Bassong''s Watford displays* then we are going to look a tad stupid.

*This is a worst case scenario, but you get te point.[:D]

[quote user="cornish sam"]Obvious troll (paper) is obvious... At this stage of the season you can only do emergency loans with a maximum duration of 93 days so this falls flat at the first hurdle.[/quote]

Why?....this is what''s being proposed, a loan until January?

Slight over reaction. Can''t see Bassong making a huge difference.

If we can get him in the shop window now, we might get a couple of million for him in Jan. Makes sense to me. It''s not like we''re arming our rivals with a player who''s gong to score or assist with lots of goals, if that were the case is understand the negative reaction.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Slight over reaction. Can''t see Bassong making a huge difference.

If we can get him in the shop window now, we might get a couple of million for him in Jan. Makes sense to me. It''s not like we''re arming our rivals with a player who''s gong to score or assist with lots of goals, if that were the case is understand the negative reaction.[/quote]

Watford are good going forward but not great at the back. Bassong (if fit and motivated) would be a stand out CB at this level. You just do not help your rivals improve their team. Full stop. If Bassong is going to be fit and playing in the champ then it should be for us having made peace with Adams. If not id rather just waste the wages and sell him in jan.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Slight over reaction. Can''t see Bassong making a huge difference.

If we can get him in the shop window now, we might get a couple of million for him in Jan. Makes sense to me. It''s not like we''re arming our rivals with a player who''s gong to score or assist with lots of goals, if that were the case is understand the negative reaction.[/quote]

Watford are good going forward but not great at the back. Bassong (if fit and motivated) would be a stand out CB at this level. You just do not help your rivals improve their team. Full stop. If Bassong is going to be fit and playing in the champ then it should be for us having made peace with Adams. If not id rather just waste the wages and sell him in jan.[/quote]

But we don''t need him. Turner, Hoiveld & bennet are better players.

lincoln canary wrote the following post at 05/10/2014 11:44 AM:

................... But we don''t need him. Turner, Hoiveld & bennet are better players.

Seriously?

I don''t like Bassong''s attitude and his apparent reluctance to play for Adams ............ but his quality cannot be denied.

Can only see benefits if Bassong loaned. He won''t be ready for at least a month. We get his wages paid. He might come back and perform. He might get a move in January. Having him sitting in the stands training with the kids and not getting match fit is no good to City. I doubt if he will turn Watford into Championship contenders possibly may not get in their team so loan Bassong now.

lincoln canary wrote the following post at 05/10/2014 11:44 AM:

But we don''t need him. Turner, Hoiveld & bennet are better players.

------------------------

No they''re not. Bassong was fantastic in his first season with us, if he''s motivated enough he would be the best CB in the championship. On a side note, you also think Hoolahan is our best player.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]lincoln canary wrote the following post at 05/10/2014 11:44 AM: ................... But we don''t need him. Turner, Hoiveld & bennet are better players. Seriously? I don''t like Bassong''s attitude and his apparent reluctance to play for Adams ............ but his quality cannot be denied.[/quote]

Yeah, without doubt people are confusing Bassong''s attitude (or supposed attitude) with his ability.

He remains one of the two best central defenders at the club.

Yes , but , he is not match fit ,, it will be a 3 month loan , a month to get fit and a good chance he will get injured,, a bit of a sick note IMO , although not critical to lose his wages ,, it is not a bad thing , and Bassong alone isn''t capable of changing the fortunes of ANY club to the degree that they become challengers if not already in that catorgary, so I beleive its one of those less important situations , that is not much more than a distraction for fans .

I accept that Bassong was very good in his first season but to be honest he was dire last season - and that was when he was playing for his mate. Getting him off the wage bill or selling him are our best options.

[quote user="Making Plans"]I accept that Bassong was very good in his first season but to be honest he was dire last season - and that was when he was playing for his mate. Getting him off the wage bill or selling him are our best options.[/quote]

Yes you are right they are but not "getting him off the wage bill" by loaning him to a team level on points with us at the top of the league and who need to improve their defence. That is not our best option. That is a pretty terrible option in my opinion/.

Sell or loan him abroad or to a lower prem club (if they want him) or even a team like Rotherham who are not going to be seriously challenging us this season. Do not loan to a direct rival. Would be utter madness and a bit dismayed to see these rumours re-surface again today as i had hoped they had passed.

If the upshot of Adams initially taking a tough line with Bassong (and I think he had no choice if what is rumoured to have happened did happen) is us having to do this just to get Bassong off the wage bill then it has all backfired somewhat.

Confirmed now and in my view utterly idiotic on the part of the club.

They have a weak defence and an injury crisis at centre back and we are helping them out by loaning them a potentially quality international defender. I really just don;t get it.

In the meantime we have hoarded the likes of Cuellar and Miquel who we are presumably paying a fortune to and who do not even get on the bench so it can;t be all about the money.

Neyal has better hope he can keep us on top of the league because as long as he does then these sorts of weird decisions will be glossed over.

Best thing for all concerned.    The "player going to a rival club" is irrelevant imo, because it is what we do that matters, not what other clubs do.  Anyway, for all we know if Watford improve, they may take points off other rival clubs for us, making it better for us overall.