Sign in to follow this  
Canary

Hoolahan / Team Selection

Just wanted to share an article I wrote about Hoolahan and the difficulties we''ve had fitting him into the team recently.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.thematch.co.uk/hoolahans-catch-22-2/

Well written Canary,Wes''s performance last night v Gibraltar last night highlighted your point , he was excellent, MOM in fact, but will he get to play v Germany? It will be very interesting as Martin O neill doesnt announce his team untill an hour before KO.

The ''Wes Dilemma ''continues to fascinate. My later post( didnt see yours) makes the same argument, Wes can only really play as No.10 or AM in 5 man midfield, we can see it, why does he sometimes get played on the left by NA?...are we really that short on options??

"Wes can only really play as No.10 or AM in 5 man midfield, we can see it, why does he sometimes get played on the left by NA?...are we really that short on options??"

I think that Work Canary sums things up well. The problem with a five man midfield, to allow Wes to attack but not have to defend, is that you can only have one striker, unless you go for a three-man back line. In effect he becomes a number 10. Unfortunately his striking ability is fairly limited, so...

No-one has really solved the enigma. When signed him from Blackpool, they had been playing him wide left. There is the added difficulty that if you accommodate Wes and two strikers, you have only three players left in the midfield for defensive duties, and you have to rely on the back line. Under Lambert we conceded a lot of goals, partly for this reason, but we scored so many we were promoted.

I think i may not have made my point clear enough in that when i said AM, i mean centrally placed midfielder with an eye to attack, but as with all players , from striker backwards, having defensive duties, no one, even Wes, can be allowed not to defend.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Hopefully Adams learns quickly how to use Wes. Otherwise I can''t see this form changing too much.

[quote user="Canary"]Thanks for the feedback guys. Hopefully Adams learns quickly how to use Wes. Otherwise I can''t see this form changing too much.[/quote]You mean this ''top of the league'' form? [:^)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Canary"]Thanks for the feedback guys. Hopefully Adams learns quickly how to use Wes. Otherwise I can''t see this form changing too much.[/quote]You mean this ''top of the league'' form? [:^)][/quote]

No I''m talking about the 1 win in our last 5 (including the capital one cup) form. And in those 5 we haven''t scored in the first half once and had to come from behind in every game.