Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Time to play one up front.........

........with Wes behind. I would try Jerome and have Redmond on one side and Lafferty the other. Laffs looked good when he came on last week BUT he has to behave, the last thing we need is to go down to ten. As to which two are behind I would go with Tettey and BJ, Howson would be an attacking step too far but could come on for Wes in the latter stages. Back four picks itself RM at fullback for me.

the thing is, Lafferty looked so average on that left hand side after the first 2 games, of course there''s no harm in trying it again but I can see why Neil changed it, we looked far to open (which isn''t good when you want to control a game).

Hopefully we''ve got a bit more to spend in January to get a LM, we desperately need a LM and was my concern (along with CB positions) in the summer.

Personally would like to see this team: (I know that Bennett is injured)

----------------------Ruddy------------------

Martin----Bennett----Turner----Olsson

----------------------Tettey-------------------

Redmond--Howson---Odija---Lafferty

---------------------Jerome------------------

I think Lafferty would be able to fit in on the left as there''s Tettey to clear up as well as the other 2 CM players. No specific striker as Grabban did exceptionally well when he played as a lone striker. We''d have the direct drive of Howson and Odija which we lack as well as having a system where we''re more likely to be able to hold onto the ball and dominate the midfield (as team will often be playing 5 in midfield). If we match the other team and not leave anything to chance then we''re more often than not going to win.

Need to get back to 4231 for Fulham that includes Lafferty on the left need to accomodate Kyle in the side. Impressive for N Ireland and can support Jerome if we need to go more direct.

[quote user="pete"]Need to get back to 4231 for Fulham that includes Lafferty on the left need to accomodate Kyle in the side. Impressive for N Ireland and can support Jerome if we need to go more direct.[/quote]

Agree with this. Lafferty was well used to playing on the left for Burnley and Rangers, although I don''t know which position he played when abroad.   He has played as lone striker for N.Ireland too, although he''s not that great in the air.    If on form and plays the way he did when he first came to Norwich, it would be great to have him back in the team on the left or even as a lone striker.   He gets under people''s skin and makes things happen and if he can do that without getting too wound up himself,  he will be a threat.

To get promoted out of this league, we need to score goals....our best chance of scoring goals is playing 2 strikers....that ,IMO is more important than accomodating Hoolahan in his favoured role.

and yes, watching Lafferty again tonight for N.Ireland ,he needs to start with Jerome as a pairing.

Harsh as it may be I think Grabban maybe needs a break with Laff coming in and as others have said reverting to the 4-2-3-1 on Saturday. The striker conundrum will become even bigger shortly with Hooper also looking close to being ready for a return.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]To get promoted out of this league, we need to score goals....our best chance of scoring goals is playing 2 strikers....that ,IMO is more important than accomodating Hoolahan in his favoured role.

and yes, watching Lafferty again tonight for N.Ireland ,he needs to start with Jerome as a pairing.[/quote]
Actually, you need to gain the most points.
And Norwich gained more points (12) in the 4 games they played 4-2-3-1 then they did in the 7 games they played 2 up front (11).

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]To get promoted out of this league, we need to score goals....our best chance of scoring goals is playing 2 strikers....that ,IMO is more important than accomodating Hoolahan in his favoured role.

and yes, watching Lafferty again tonight for N.Ireland ,he needs to start with Jerome as a pairing.[/quote]
And Norwich gained more points (12) in the 4 games they played 4-2-3-1 then they did in the 7 games they played 2 up front (11).
[/quote]

do you think we should have played with one striker at home to Charlton and Rotherham?!?!?.....playing 2 strikers wasnt the reason why we didnt win both of those games

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]To get promoted out of this league, we need to score goals....our best chance of scoring goals is playing 2 strikers....that ,IMO is more important than accomodating Hoolahan in his favoured role.

[/quote]

do you think we should have played with one striker at home to Charlton and Rotherham?!?!?.....playing 2 strikers wasnt the reason why we didnt win both of those games[/quote]

Actually I kind of do. A 4-2-3-1 can be essentially four up front dependent on the personnel. It''s a myth that its a negative formation (except when played by Chris Hughton).

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]To get promoted out of this league, we need to score goals....our best chance of scoring goals is playing 2 strikers....that ,IMO is more important than accomodating Hoolahan in his favoured role.

[/quote]

do you think we should have played with one striker at home to Charlton and Rotherham?!?!?.....playing 2 strikers wasnt the reason why we didnt win both of those games[/quote]

Actually I kind of do. A 4-2-3-1 can be essentially four up front dependent on the personnel. It''s a myth that its a negative formation (except when played by Chris Hughton).[/quote]

if we had plenty of goals in us from wide or midfield or even Hoolahan then maybe .....but we don''t,.... what we do have is 2 strikers with 6 goals a piece and Lafferty and Hooper to come in as options

We created shedloads of opportunities in those 2 home games but were thwarted by the frame of the goal, good adefending, good goalkeeping and some poor finishing. How many more opportunities do you suppose we would have created with 1 up front?

Who knows . Probably about the same. But we are away on Saturday for a tricky game so I would prefer to revert to the 4-2-3-1 set up.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Who knows . Probably about the same. But we are away on Saturday for a tricky game so I would prefer to revert to the 4-2-3-1 set up.[/quote]

last time we played 4-2-3-1 away from home, we were 2-0 down at half time at Cardiff....we reverted to 2 strikers and won it....and every away game since??

GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary wrote the following post at 14/10/2014 9:47 PM:

To get promoted out of this league, we need to score goals....our best chance of scoring goals is playing 2 strikers

--------------------------------------

Come on man, you should know better than that.

should I??.....I''m sure statistics will bear a fairly direct correlation between teams that are promoted from the championship are by and large also the top scorers............and more often than not will play 2 strikers

.....that said I do agree that we would need to beef up the midfield at Fulham....but with personnel not with numbers...Tettey should come back in ,in place of Howson, I thought it was pretty unbelievable that he was dropped in the first place.

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Turner Olsson

Redmond Tettey Johnson Hoolahan

Jerome Lafferty