Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Lafferty

Had already lashed a shot against the bar & has now put NI 2 up in GreeceTime for another start for us perhapsOh, and yes, he has been booked

Yep. I wonder how a 4-5-1 with Lafferty as a lone striker would turn out for us.

Need wingers to feed him, but Redmond and Murphy could do it., with Wes as a creative spark just behind Laffs.

The NI manager said he was going to build the team around Lafferty, and since then they''ve won every game. And as said above, we have the players in Wes/Redmond/Murphy to feed him

It''s the conundrum of how to fit Hoolahan, Redmond, Grabban, Jerome and Lafferty into the same team!

What a headache for a manager to have, if only we had these kind of choices last year!

Not sure I''d play Lafferty upfront (or at least not at the expense of both Grabban and Jerome) but I would like to see him start out wide.

Lafferty deserves to start after the week Hes had.

Also, if we play him on the left of a 3 behind Jerome, it frees Hoolahan to play in the middle, not in the ridiculous on-the-left-but-actually-in-the-middle position where he has been played over the last few games. We would actually have 3 players who are causing the defence issues instead of Hoolahan stood on Redmonds toes as another attack breaks down

it would be crazy not to tap into the confidence he must have after his last 2 games this week, start him up front with Jerome....come to think of it Redmond,Olsson,Tettey,Martin,Whittaker and Hoolahan will all be coming back off good performances and results ,this week for their national teams....we should have a team full of confident players on Saturday?!?

I doubt Lafferty could by himself upfront in a 4-2-3-1 but could be handy on the left again in the 3 or with a strike partner in a 4-4-2. However that would mean dropping Grabban.

Even before this weeks internationals I feel it was time to give Lafferty a start up front alongside Jerome. Grabban has looked abit off the pace in the last few games and doesn''t seem to have built a good partnership with Jerome yet. The form showed by Lafferty in the internationals must put him up the pecking order.

I hope Neil doesn''t stick him on the left as he has done to date when he has started him as I would like to see him in his preferred position.

As someone else said in another post - great to have options and this is even before Hooper is back !

Surely a 4-2-3-1 is the receipt against our bogey team, Fulham. And on a ground we have not won for ages.

4-2-3-1 will accomodate both Wes and Lafferty.

Grabban drops to the bench, Lafferty on the left, Redmond on the right.

Murphy and Grabban to come on off the bench if needed.

Johnson and Tettey sitting. Howson sub for Wes if needed.

For me the choice is pretty obvious.

I wouldn''t play hoolahan unless he''s playing in the tip of the diamond. Don''t get me wrong he''s good when he grabs the ball and cuts in to the space but he always leaves that gaping hole down the left side and we completely lose shape.

I would opt for lafferty and jerome In a front 2. I''ve watched all 3 games he''s played and he looked unplayable. Stand out by miles.

As for grabban.....play him out wide. You often see him drifting out onto the flanks to make his arcing run into the box so why not try him?

I''d be quite happy to see us getting a bit more ''Lambert'' and play the diamond once again, certainly away from home.

The Laff and Jerome up top with Wes playing between the lines with a midfield three of Johnson, Tetley and Howson with VOO very much a viable option.

I know Grabban had scored goals and Redmond has certainly improved of late but Lafferty did indeed look bloody good last night and must surely be worth trying in his natural position?