Sign in to follow this  
Thisisbabyish

Carlton Morris vs Gary Hooper

Solely based on last nights performances if you had to ask me who we had paid nearly 6m pounds for I''d have to go with Morris.

I thought the kid was outstanding, always held the ball up, strong, powerful with pace and a real understanding of the game. He pulled the Spurs back four all over the pitch creating so much space for King to play in who also looked a talent. I really hope he gets his chance in the first team, he''s got bright future ahead of him if he keeps up the had work.

Hooper on the other hand looked so disinterested and I can''t even remember a notable shot on goal against a pretty average Spurs side. His first touch was good but this is to be expected of a player of his stature other than that he might as well have not been on the pitch. I can''t work out if it''s just confidence or broken promises but he doesn''t look happy here.

Off topic I can''t see Ugo Ehiogo lasting long in management, never stopped barking at his players from minute one.

Love to here other peoples thoughts on last night.

The academy looks in fine shape, hats off to the club we''ve definitely got a breading ground of talent at Colney.

Exciting times at Norwich City

OTBC

I thought Hooper had some great movements off the ball but Morris was clearly the better player in last nights game.

Haha mrs miggins

I took my Grant Holt quote out for fear of ridicule but he has Holty written all over him, you''re spot on.

I agree Hooper did nothing wrong but it all looked so autonomous like he was just going through the motions, where as Morris had passion and fire in his gut and wanted to win.

I''m a massive Gary Hooper fan don''t get me wrong I just wasn''t expecting him to be out shone in an Under21 game, and its a bit sad to see!

Looks like our academy has never been in better condition. I''d love to see Morris, King, McFadden etc get a few chances in the first team. Maybe only from the bench while there''s no cup competition.

I thought Hooper looked much better last night than he has in previous U21 games. His movement was very good, and he did get in good positions but wasn''t found with crosses.

''His movement was very good, and he did get in good positions but wasn''t found with crosses''

Seems Hooper gets mixed reviews then.  The above reminds me of RVW, his movement seemed ok for about two games but quite a lot off my friends were still banging on about his ‘excellent movement’ at xmas.  By that point it was clear he was a dud, ok his team mates and tactics didn’t help.  Hope we are not making excuses for Hooper because we want him to succeed.  I’m still confident he will fire in a few goals for us this season.  I can’t believe he would be so unprofessional to let his fitness go to the wall.  Maybe I’m naive. 

The club has its own agenda due to the investment in him, the facts were he was outshone by an 18 year old kid just back from Oxford and didn''t register a shot on target.

You can''t not mention the likes of Hooper and Bennett in an under-21 game and the club aren''t going to throw him under the bus by saying he should be doing more.

Thisisbabyish wrote the following post at 15/10/2014 12:30 PM:

"The club has its own agenda due to the investment in him, the facts were he was outshone by an 18 year old kid just back from Oxford and didn''t register a shot on target. "

He is at Oxford to the end of the year but is not getting much game time at the moment so he was allowed to play for our U21s.

Same thing happened with Loza last season as far as I can recall.

Morris looked good, as did some of the other individuals such as McGrandles. But as with the first team there''s a lot of hype about their so-called passing game, but in reality there were long spells where they gave the ball away very cheaply and struggled to keep possession. If we could at least aim to play a decent passing game at this level then we might produce more than one or two who''ll be able to play at or above the level the first team are at.

It was my birthday yesterday and watching that game on BT Sport was a great present..........thought it was really good and both King and Toffolo looked excellent young prospects.

Mark .Y.

As much as I love to see technique, I think we also need the likes of Holt in (once retired) to teach our academy kids the art of body shielding to buy time on the ball. Morris clearly has a bit of classic Holt about him.

I thought Hooper played well enough, but had little to work with. Had he received the chance Morris had, I suspect he''s have buried it first time rather than requiring a deflection off a defender for it to go in past a wrong-footed defender. I''m not faulting Morris, who did have a good game but I think he''s a way off playing in the Championship yet. I was more impressed by King and Toffolo, who provided and excellent cross for the first goal and bossed the left touch-line all game. McGrandles seems to be one of those quietly efficient players who is involved a lot without being very noticeable doing it. McFadden had a good game alongside Miquel at CB as well.