Sign in to follow this  
wcorkcanary

Wes the game changer

Ireland played 70 odd mins last night in an awful display of damage limitation v the germans until they conceded, cue Mr, Hoolahan, the man that a lot of people wonder if he''s up to the Big Game, well, he almost scored (top class on the line block preventing the goal) and played a big part in the last minute equaliser. Ireland were a transformed team from the minute he stepped on the pitch, they actually played football.

Impact sub par excellence !??

Or just play him in his best position from the start.

He will either create or drag so many players towards him that others will profit from it

Why would you start wes against the germans? As you say it''s damaged limitations, they need to get a 0-0 or nick a goal on the counter. Imo to do this they need people who are going to get back and defend with all the effort they have, but they also need pace to counter attack. Wes came on once they needed a goal when things wouldn''t be so one sided as the germans already had a goal. Ireland didn''t then need all the pace to counter attack, they needed good people on the ball, and there''s not many better in that squad than Wes. As much as I hate Strachan, to get a result against the Germans is very good and thought he played it well.

Beat me to it Manc, but did you watch the game Mrs M? The 1st 70 was like a Hughton parody, winger played in CM, CF played on the wing, couldnt hold on to the ball, forced back to the keeper who invariably kicked it long...even when the fullbacks were open, it was awful. MON and RKs hands were forced by Glen Whelan injury and the goal and behold! the Irish started to play decent football....and our Wes was instrumental in the improvement.

Now, i''m not calling for Wes to start every game no matter what but he has the very rare attribute of being a real playmaker and with ten othr players on the pitch, is it really such a big risk to play him, in the no10 pos or AM in 5 man midfield ? if he''s on the pitch , thats where he is best not at left mid.

Why the hell did I say Strachan? I''ve always hated the the ginger scrotum, but can''t stand that whiny, soaked wet cat faced plum that is Martin O''Neil...and his overrated lap dog (keane).

Apologies, meant O''neil played it spot on.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Listen it''s only Germany. Let''s not get carried away. Still a one trick pony in my book.[/quote]Well said[Y]

Was I Galway watching this game last night and there is clearly huge love for Wes and rte coverage post match was all about criticizing O''Neill for not starting him as their best playe .

You would not have guessed it was a great performance and point gained rather seen as two dropped points from a negative manager!!!

Zipper, you''ve nailed it, if Wes had started, and Ireland not got that point then the Management would have been lambasted for starting a player that ''isnt that great defensively''...as it played out , they could be slammed for not starting him or bringing him on earlier, its a win win for the Pundits, all wise, ....after the event.

Oh, to be paid to watch footy, nice work if you can get it.

apart from wes playing who cares if the irish or the germans win

not a home nation and they wish nothing but misery on the England team

It is - has a great vibe and i much prefer it to Dublin :-)

Looking forward to going back again, if I can wangle for during the festival next summer that would be perfect!