Sign in to follow this  
pete

Hughton fans favourite

http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=373639

Be careful what you wish for! At least won''t be in charge Saturday

Why''s that, then? Surely it would be a good thing if he were in charge of the opposition, right?

Newcastle and Birmingham scored lots of goals when Hughton was in charge.  He isn''t always the defensively obsessed negativist that, to be fair, we saw plenty of.  I doubt he would be again, either.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Newcastle and Birmingham scored lots of goals when Hughton was in charge.  He isn''t always the defensively obsessed negativist that, to be fair, we saw plenty of.  I doubt he would be again, either.[/quote]

Hughton set out rebuilding us - because that was at the time I believe what the board wanted.   They and he wanted to build something that would stand the test of time.    He started cautiously, working on getting the defence right, but as a result lost some of the spontaneity of players that were used under Lambert to being spontaneous.  I never believed that he wanted us to be purely defensive and at our best under him we looked a decent side - but there was too much going against him overall.   I think that if he gets the Fulham job he will get them playing decent football.     It must have a difficult two years for him at Norwich,  difficult for all of us too of course,  but he was a decent person and I hope he does well in his next job, except against us.  

I''m glad he wasn''t appointed before today''s match, though, it would have added too much extra mind baggage on the players.  There''s enough stuff going on trying to get one over Fulham without having to deal with Hughton as well!! 

I think ''cautious'' is a better way to describe his style than negative. I think we forget how little he had to spend in his first season and he basically spent it all on the defence as it needed it. However his second season was a prerry much a disaster- the defence was worse than before he joined, the attack didn''t improve at all and he clearly didn''t have an answer.

As mentioned, nice guy, I hope he does well in the future but I am unsure he is the man to turn around a team that is clearly a bit lost.