Sign in to follow this  
STAN

Platini - "White Card" & "Sin Bin"

"Uefa president Michel Platini says he wants to see the sin bin introduced in football, but only to combat back-chat from players.

In his book "Parlons Football" (talking about football), released on Thursday, Platini, a former France international midfield star, espouses the idea of creating a white card, to go alongside the existing red and yellow ones, to be used specifically to send players to the sin bin if they talk back to referees.

He says the move would help fight against the "craze of contesting the referee" which has become "a veritable epidemic in football".

He said the white card would be followed by a 10-minute spell on the sidelines."

When will these tw@ts learn to leave football alone!

Referees already have the power to show a yellow card. If the exercised this option more readily, it would stamp out "backchat" soon enough.

If referees actually followed the written rules in the first place there wouldn''t even be an issue!

As a referee myself I honestly think the sin bin would be a good idea especially at professional level, but maybe not for the reasons outlined by Platini.

Yellow cards all too often are taken as " taking one for the team" to stop a good move by the oppo knowing full well breaks up play and still 11against 11 .

In extreme cases and it happens a team can have over five players on a caution and the other side none with no real impact on balance of game.

A sin bin would mean the team offended against would gain immediate benefit and this I think would be a real punishment

Agreed making Plans, and better refereeing brought about by way of more money into training them.

Look at the money Man City have poured into their academy. If some more of the huge amount of money in the sport was channelled into referees and grass roots football, the game as whole could potentially benefit greatly.

no to sin bin..

it will be to easy to "bend" the rules... key player carrying a knock? get him off for 10 minutes for treatment before getting him on again...

also a Yellow Card is a players warning, if they do not heed that warning they get sent off.... the referees are too lenient.. if they card for dissent there will be no further action required as the player should curb it... if they dont?? well... they get what they deserve

Referees get paid quite well. The rules are the same for every game although at times it is hard to believe.

The FA need to take the lead if they had done this years ago and shown Ferguson their wrath every time he criticised an official perhaps we wouldn''t be in this position.

Referees are not part of the game they are supposed to be impartial officials. Some of those we have seen this season are not up to it believing the game is about them having to laugh and joke and put their arms around players.

The FA could sort it out but wont.

A sin bin is long overdue. The team sinned against would immediately receive the benefit of natural justice and not as it is at present where some other team in the future becomes the beneficiary of a suspension.Works well in many other field sports and no reason why it wouldn''t work well in football.

I personally feel that a Sin Bin turns the game into more of a circus. Football has no need to "follow" any other sport, it is THE sport.

Having players sit for extended periods mid game seems likely to result in more injuries of the pulled muscle or tendon ilk.

Also. With limited sideline space in some stadiums, a penalty box might prove to be a hazard. Putting the player on his own bench wouldn''t be fair as he receives extra coaching.

If a ref doesn''t like what a player says he''s already got a yellow card for that.

Unfortunately we hear so often how it is ''difficult to play against 10 men''.

The football also becomes dull and defensive.

A sin bin will cause the game to become even more defensive at times, until the return to a full team.

Bring in the sin bin and then we can make another change .... extend the Junior football (Junior, not just youth) ''roll on, roll off'', substitutes to the senior and then professional game.

Then we could change it to the same as the American Football system. We could have an offensive team, a defensive team, a set piece team, a ball retention team ....... and so on, and so on.

There have been too many changes in recent years that have not helped football. Remember, the laws of the game apply to the top players to the very bottom players who play it. It is these changes which have partially been responsible for the game at lower levels being in such turmoil.

I think we can well do without a sin bin and all the problems it could bring with it.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]Having players sit for extended periods mid game seems likely to result in more injuries of the pulled muscle or tendon ilk.

Also. With limited sideline space in some stadiums, a penalty box might prove to be a hazard. Putting the player on his own bench wouldn''t be fair as he receives extra coaching.

If a ref doesn''t like what a player says he''s already got a yellow card for that.[/quote]Strangely, they don''t seem to have any of those problems in Rugby, where sin binning has been in practice for some time.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Unfortunately we hear so often how it is ''difficult to play against 10 men''.

The football also becomes dull and defensive.

A sin bin will cause the game to become even more defensive at times, until the return to a full team.

Bring in the sin bin and then we can make another change .... extend the Junior football (Junior, not just youth) ''roll on, roll off'', substitutes to the senior and then professional game.

Then we could change it to the same as the American Football system. We could have an offensive team, a defensive team, a set piece team, a ball retention team ....... and so on, and so on.

There have been too many changes in recent years that have not helped football. Remember, the laws of the game apply to the top players to the very bottom players who play it. It is these changes which have partially been responsible for the game at lower levels being in such turmoil.

I think we can well do without a sin bin and all the problems it could bring with it.[/quote]The premier league brought goal line cameras into operation without the rule applying to other leagues.The present situation with yellow cards has long been not fit for purpose. When a player is finally suspended it is against whoever is fortunate enough to be next in the fixture list, not the teams that he sinned against.A sin bin brings immediate punishment against the team that sought to gain an unfair advantage and to my mind is the perfect expression of natural justice as opposed to the arbitrary justice of the totting up system.

I agree with goal line technology (it was overdue in my opinion) but it obviously cannot, and would not, be used on Sloughbottom on a Sunday moring.

The difference between goal line technology and sin bins simply is that the technology is a referee''s aid, not a change to the laws of the game, whereas the sin bins would be.

However, I do agree with the team being sinned against being given the advantage of the referee''s decision. The simple answer is for the white card to be replaced by a red one if the foul is cynical, intentional or vicious.

The problem is, at the moment, referees in the lowest form of the game have to treat the honest players who try their hardest but aren''t quite competent enough in the same way as the cynical professionals.

The fines imposed (the same as the professional game, I believe) have led to over 800 players in this county alone having ''sine die'' suspensions.

If things never changed we would still have a rope instead of a bar, no goal nets, shoulder charging the keeper, no substitutions and goalies who spent half the game running round the penalty area bouncing the ball every four steps.Most changes have improved the game.[Y]

Are you sure about the rugby injury situation or are you just saying it?

Don''t the muscles tighten up when you stop strenuous exercise? After 10 minutes, getting going full bore seems like it would be both difficult for and s bit risky to the player.

but this is noit about the game itself, but about displine[quote user="ricardo"]If things never changed we would still have a rope instead of a bar, no goal nets, shoulder charging the keeper, no substitutions and goalies who spent half the game running round the penalty area bouncing the ball every four steps.Most changes have improved the game.[Y][/quote]but this is not about the game itself, but about discipline when the game has stopped - and would still be subjectivewhich could be easily dealt with by fining the players - heavilyie  touching ball after the whistle has been blown for a freekick (by the offending team)moving towards the referee''grabbling'' at a cornerall could easily be dealt with after the game and would certainly stop the "craze of contesting the referee" which has become "a veritable epidemic in football".

"
it would be seen to be fair as fans could see who was fined and why, with the fines having no effect upon the game iselfthe sin bin is merely a silly idea to bolt the door after the horse has fled

[quote user="City1st"]but this is noit about the game itself, but about displine[quote user="ricardo"]If things never changed we would still have a rope instead of a bar, no goal nets, shoulder charging the keeper, no substitutions and goalies who spent half the game running round the penalty area bouncing the ball every four steps.Most changes have improved the game.[Y][/quote]but this is not about the game itself, but about discipline when the game has stopped - and would still be subjectivewhich could be easily dealt with by fining the players - heavilyie  touching ball after the whistle has been blown for a freekick (by the offending team)moving towards the referee''grabbling'' at a cornerall could easily be dealt with after the game and would certainly stop the "craze of contesting the referee" which has become "a veritable epidemic in football".

"
it would be seen to be fair as fans could see who was fined and why, with the fines having no effect upon the game iselfthe sin bin is merely a silly idea to bolt the door after the horse has fled

[/quote]If anything can be described has bolting the door after the horse has fled, it''s the present yellow card system.Fines are just another form of retrospective punishment and as such they won''t stop the "taking one for the team" attitude.A sin bin has the supreme advantage of natural justice being seen to be done. The team sinned against gains a real and visible advantage, much as it does when an opposing player is sent off. The system works perfectly well in Rugby Union.The Old Guard have always had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future whenever change is suggested. It was the same with substitutions and goal line technology. The game and the laws of the game have changed and evolved over the years and will continue to do so despite traditionalists attempts to hang on to the past.

[quote user="ricardo"]If things never changed we would still have a rope instead of a bar, no goal nets, shoulder charging the keeper, no substitutions and goalies who spent half the game running round the penalty area bouncing the ball every four steps.Most changes have improved the game.[Y][/quote]Ricardo, I think that (as with Chris Sutton hilariously knocking down Schmeichel in a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford before we flew off to play Inter) is still legal, providing done properly side to side, as in that case. Whether many overseas referees would have allowed it is another matter...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]If things never changed we would still have a rope instead of a bar, no goal nets, shoulder charging the keeper, no substitutions and goalies who spent half the game running round the penalty area bouncing the ball every four steps.Most changes have improved the game.[Y][/quote]Ricardo, I think that (as with Chris Sutton hilariously knocking down Schmeichel in a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford before we flew off to play Inter) is still legal, providing done properly side to side, as in that case. Whether many overseas referees would have allowed it is another matter...[/quote]Yes, I remember it well. Nowadays goalkeepers are virtually untouchable in the box. Somewhat different to my personal experiences where immediately you caught the ball you were fair game.And I''ve still got the scars to prove it.[:D]

One thing I like to see changed is this "added time". In this technological age it would be simple to have a keypad connected to the scoreboards which would be stopped everytime there''s a pause in the game (substitutions, injuries etc). Then at the end of each 45 minute period a hooter would sound to end each half. Fans would know exactly how long was left and the ref wouldn''t have to keep looking at his watch taking his eyes off the game.

We had the 10 yard  rule for dissent and not retreating at a free kick which appeared to be successful until FIFA stopped it a few years ago.Instant punishment, no need for sin bins where the player will sit and quite possibly, along with his manager abuse the fourth official.psIf anyone knows why managers abuse and rant at the fourth official over on field issues that they have no control over I would love to know.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]If things never changed we would still have a rope instead of a bar, no goal nets, shoulder charging the keeper, no substitutions and goalies who spent half the game running round the penalty area bouncing the ball every four steps.Most changes have improved the game.[Y][/quote]Ricardo, I think that (as with Chris Sutton hilariously knocking down Schmeichel in a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford before we flew off to play Inter) is still legal, providing done properly side to side, as in that case. Whether many overseas referees would have allowed it is another matter...[/quote]Yes, I remember it well. Nowadays goalkeepers are virtually untouchable in the box. Somewhat different to my personal experiences where immediately you caught the ball you were fair game.And I''ve still got the scars to prove it.[:D][/quote]It was a bold referee all round. Not only did he allow the (perfectly fair) shoulder charge but gave us a penalty! From which Fox scored. If I remember rightly Man Utd then went ten whole league seasons at Old Trafford with only one penalty (missed!) being awarded against them. Nothing, of course, to do with refs being scared of what Fergie might say afterwards. It was just that Man Utd players didn''t commit fouls in their own penalty area...[:D]