Sign in to follow this  
Robbie Boy

Jimmy B or Charly?

With Adam Drury out for a couple of weeks, we obviously need a replacement.

I''ve always been a huge fan of Jimmy B and feel he can do a good job for us. Having watched training at Colney last week I can see why Worthy doesn''t seem to pick him. Jimmy scored a few cracking goals but also gave a bit of lip to Worthy and was first off the pitch. So maybe Nigel feels he has a bit of an attitude problem.

But putting those minor issues to one side, I would be much more confident with Jimmy in the team than Charly - especially taking Charly''s ''performance'' on Saturday into account. He''s got a cultured left foot, great crossing ability and loads of energy which we need to cover Huck''s defensive abilities.

So come on - who would you rather have?

The boy JB for me.

What you saw Robbie may be the reason he does not feature, trouble is we simply don''t know. As you were at Colney, can you give us any insight into the type of training / coaching that actually goes on? Many of us have speculated for months (possibly years even) that the coaching, tactical side of the game seems to let us down. See the post from Tumbleweed headed up.........''We have the players not the management'', we need to know what these coaches or managers actually do and what skills they have. To even begin to assemble a case that can be taken to the club via a forum such as the SCG we must accumulate some kind of evidence.

JB has a brilliant left foot as we all know and would be ideal to come on in the second half for Hucks if he continues to go down the cul de sacs caused by our one dimensional approach (i.e. ''lets look up and find where Hucks is'' type mentality).

IF it is the case that JB does not play as Worthy perceives an ''attitude problem'' then it all depends on what is happening. Provided that this ''attitude'' is not affecting other players then so what, if the guy has something different and creative to offer then get him in! This all seems to be following the Worthy pattern of falling out with players. Worthy lovers will see the JB case you cite as STRONG man management. Possibly, but having had a management role in a previous life and been on many courses on the subject, my own view is that this often represents WEAK man management. A SUCCESSFUL MANAGER CANNOT LET PERSONAL DIFFERENCES DRIVE HIS STAFF / TEAM SELECTION NO MATTER WHAT LINE OF BUSINESS YOU ARE IN.          

Charlton.

Brennan is no better than average, he just hasn''t played enough to see it. Anyway, did Brennan not play against Man City and get completely swamped by Willo Flood etc? Haven''t heard much of him since he played us off the park.

Charlton is proven at the top level at full back, and played very well for us at CB too.

[quote]Charlton. Brennan is no better than average, he just hasn''t played enough to see it. Anyway, did Brennan not play against Man City and get completely swamped by Willo Flood etc? Haven''t heard much of...[/quote]

Saw something this morning that Willo Flood may be off to Coventry on loan...

Personally, I''d be happy with either player - Brennan is a little better going forward, so maybe Charlie would be the better option against a Southampton side who''ll already be looking to exploit our left side and Hucks'' tendency to play as a third striker...

Its a close one. I''d stick with Charly for now, but he had a bit of a shocker when he came on for the 2nd half against Palace, getting roasted at least twice by their right winger.

An improved performance on Saturday please Mr Charlton otherwise I''d bring Brennan in.

Charlton. He''s better at centre-back than at left back, but he''s better at left back than Brennan. Brennan is distinctly average in ability and motivation in competitive games (whatever he does on the training pitch) whereas Charlton is a good reliable intelligent professional.

it''s quite a hard choice but i''d choose Charlton because hes got more match fitness atm with him coming on off the bench a few times.

This call for jimmy b really is an example of how quickly we forget.

The same call for his presence went up last year but he quickly disappeared as we realised that he reallyis only a squad filler. 

He is competent and versatile enough to cover both midfield and left back without causing any undue concerns in fans or manager but distinctly below the level of hux, charlie or drury who all hve that little bit extra ability. It is tough on JB who has not let us down - he simply is not as good as the players rightly ahead of him...

A no contest in my eyes - Charlie every time. 

OTBC  

i say play BOTH of them on Saturday. Much of our problems stem from the lack of defensive cover when Huckerby plays left midfield so lets play up him up front in 4-42 instead.

My team for Soton :-

Green

Colin Fleming Shackell Charlton

Marney Safri Hughes Brennan

Ashton Huckerby.

[quote]i say play BOTH of them on Saturday. Much of our problems stem from the lack of defensive cover when Huckerby plays left midfield so lets play up him up front in 4-42 instead. My team for Soton :- ...[/quote]

I cant argue with that suggestion FTFW - most sensible post in days (not you personally - the whole board)

OTBC

I agree with FIllett..play them both, one in defence, one in midfield.

However, that is not going to happen, so if it''s a straight choice at the back I would prefer Jimmy but Charlie will get W''s vote because of match fitness etc.

Jimmy should be on the bench to provide cover and if possible should be given some match time.

Poor old Jimmy B...brought here by W with glowing praise from W, then dumped into obscurity by W as so many before him, despite the fact that he is a current full international...ho hum.

i say play BOTH of them on Saturday. Much of our problems stem from the lack of defensive cover when Huckerby plays left midfield so lets play up him up front in 4-42 instead.

My team for Soton :-

Green

Colin Fleming Shackell Charlton

Marney Safri Hughes Brennan

Ashton Huckerby.

Yes a very sensible suggestion. Would play both, away from home especially. Most opposition attacks so far this season have been a direct result of our left flank vulnerability. Play Hucks up front with Ashton, a pairing I don''t think we''ve actually seen!? Leon to come off the bench.

I''d probably put Jarret in for Hughes aswell, although his dodgy few minutes against palace probably mean he''ll be hounded by our supporters until he loses all confidence.