Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Fitness, Internationals and Squad Rotation

The squad at any given time will have different levels of fitness the

details of which we won''t know about. Except in extreme circumstances the match

day team should all be match fit/sharp. The bench maybe not necessarily so. Gone are

the days when if a player''s not fit enough to start he shouldn''t be fit

enough to be sub. These days with 7 subs the bench probably has different levels

of fitness and it would not be foolhardy to include a player who is only fit

enough for say 30 minutes. All this makes forming opinions on squad rotation

very difficult because us supporters don''t know enough detail to see the whole

picture.

But even considering that the team selections for today after the team

selections for Rotherham are difficult for me to understand. Especially in the

midfield. Johnny Howson was deemed fit enough to start against Rotherham and

should be sharper for the game. Alex Tetty was fit enough for the bench. Wes

Hoolahan was suffering the effects of his 2nd hard game in a week against

Rotherham and was subbed after an hour.

Lat week''s international break saw Wes have another two games in a week for

the Republic. And Alex Tettey have another two games in a week for

Norway. Johnny Howson had a nice little break after his comeback game against

Rotherham.

So come today and Tettey and Hoolahan both start while Jonny Howson sits

out the game on the bench. Now like I said we don''t know the full picture.

Howson could have had a slight setback or another little knock. But on what I

know he certainly should have started today for one of the two internationals who had 2 games in a week while away.

I thought the same on this NN, and am genuinely concerned by the lack of rotation when there is such a good squad of options available.

The other one that is completely baffling is the Odidja situation. This is a full Belgian international who we have signed for several million and who last season was playing Europa League football. I can only assume that as he sits on the bench watching Johnson pass straight to the opposition for the umpteenth time in the game he must be wondering why the hell he signed for us.

Its a bit different for me because we haven''t seen that Odidja is fit enough to start. I have only seen a couple of cameo sub appearances from him. But in essence I agree and we could have rested both Wes and Tettey and played Odidja and Howson with Johnson. Bradders hadn''t been on international duty so baying for him to be replaced instead of the two who played twice last week is just your anti BJ bias shining through CCJ ;)

Did you see Johnson yesterday? He was still having his rest and I wouldnt be surprised if he went in to the Fulham changing room afterwards by mistake as he spent so much time passing to Fulham players. Tettey might have had 2 games in a week but was far better. Why Howson was on the bench though is a mystery.

If BJ plays ahead of Howson on Tuesday after THAT performance then Adams really has lost the plot!

I didn''t go to Fulham yesterday. I can''t get away as often as I used to. I can''t believe Johnson was having a rest though!

It''s a shame that this is going to be another Bradley Johnson discussion really. I just couldn''t understand how Howson was fit enough to start against Rotherham but not fit enough after a break when 2 of our midfield had been playing Euro Qualifiers. Very different from international friendlies.

Now about Bradley... I replied to Jim because he never wants Johnson to play. Even before a ball is kicked he''s made his mind up. I guess we all see different things in players. But a game lasts 94 minutes of which even a player like Wes will only have the ball for what, 3? 4 minutes? What they do for the rest of the time is arguably just as important as what they do in the short time they have the ball. How was Bradders yesterday when we didn''t have the ball? I''m interested to know especially in the light of that "having a rest" comment.

No worries - I''ve got no axe to grind on BJ but he was woeful both with and without the ball. Tettey far better and more mobile. I get what you are saying about Wes and yes he wasn''t great but does at least keep trying to get us to link up play and moving forward.

Sorry, I was there and BJ was very, very poor. He had a great start to the season and has gone off big time, with yesterday awful. Howson more mobile, brighter, sharper and simply a better player - I think most of the 4000 of us there yesterday really couldn''t suss out the starting 11. I doubt you will feel be anyone who was there who would disagree. Let''s hope for a change and win on Tuesday!

Thanks buddy. Most people who went said his passing was woeful. But I always feel he''s a player we miss when he''s not there. I felt the same about Gary Holt who was treated much the same way. He may be rested Tuesday then. But it''s Leeds...

I get defensive for Bradders with my old buddy Jim. He can''t be as bad as he makes out. Lambert played him. Hughton played him. Adams plays him. He was our player who other clubs showed most interest in over the summer. And he was the first to pin his colours to our mast and fight to get us back where he believes we belong. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thanks buddy. Most people who went said his passing was woeful. But I always feel he''s a player we miss when he''s not there. I felt the same about Gary Holt who was treated much the same way. He may be rested Tuesday then. But it''s Leeds...

I get defensive for Bradders with my old buddy Jim. He can''t be as bad as he makes out. Lambert played him. Hughton played him. Adams plays him. He was our player who other clubs showed most interest in over the summer. And he was the first to pin his colours to our mast and fight to get us back where he believes we belong. 

[/quote]

You make out that I have a vendetta against Johnson. Far from it. In fact I''ve defended him on here quite a bit.

I just think Tettey is better and for most games we don''t need both of them in the team.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You make out that I have a vendetta against Johnson. Far from it. In fact I''ve defended him on here quite a bit.

I just think Tettey is better and for most games we don''t need both of them in the team.[/quote]

I think Tettey''s better in some respects and Johnson''s better in others. I think the team is strong with them both in but I agree that sometimes we don''t need them both. It''s a long season and we''re only in October. It''s entirtely possible the team will look very different next April.

Going back to my OP the players fitness is something that we don''t know. I would have thought if Odidja was near to starting he would have had at least 20 mins as a sub. He hasn''t been playing overage in the U21s but I don''t know what conclusion to draw from that. Then again Howson got time in the U21s, time as sub, got his start against Rotherham and was strangely out of the picture at Fulham.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I just think Tettey is better and for most games we don''t need both of them in the team.[/quote]

I think Tettey''s better in some respects and Johnson''s better in others. I think the team is strong with them both in but I agree that sometimes we don''t need them both. It''s a long season and we''re only in October. It''s entirtely possible the team will look very different next April.

Going back to my OP the players fitness is something that we don''t know. I would have thought if Odidja was near to starting he would have had at least 20 mins as a sub. He hasn''t been playing overage in the U21s but I don''t know what conclusion to draw from that. Then again Howson got time in the U21s, time as sub, got his start against Rotherham and was strangely out of the picture at Fulham.

[/quote]

It was a long season more than two months ago, but we are now over a quarter of the way through and there has been little sign of rotation. In my opinion playing two DM''s at home against park the bus teams is totally wrong, and when they ARE needed I would like to see O''Neill start with Tetty/Johnson as he seems to be much more creative. There has got to be more flexibility in our approach. I was impressed with NA after the first few games, but he now seems to have gone into his shell and seems afraid to make decisions.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The other one that is completely baffling is the Odidja situation. This is a full Belgian international who we have signed for several million and who last season was playing Europa League football. I can only assume that as he sits on the bench watching Johnson pass straight to the opposition for the umpteenth time in the game he must be wondering why the hell he signed for us.[/quote]

this!