Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

are we really "struggling for goals"

the season is just 12 games in and we have already managed to score 21 times in matches this season - an average of 1.75 goals a game.

only 2 sides, Watford and Derby (who sit first and 2nd) have scored more.

A succesful side finds goals from all positions. I''d be more worried if we scored 21 goals and a striker had bagged say 12-15 of them. injury would leave us royally screwed.

Currently in terms of goal difference, goals conceded and goals scored we are the 3rd best team in the league. what would you rather, we score 75 goals this season and our top scorer gets just 9? or we score 40 goals this season and have a 20 goal striker leading the way?

one goal in the last three would suggest yes we are struggling (at the moment).

we have options in both midfield and up front to change things when its not going well and NA needs to do this.

Saturday''s game was crying out for Howson for example. its criminal to let games pass us buy when there are good options on the bench and they are not all used.

Im sure the drought will pass, but in the meantime use the squad

While Adams persists on playing two holdong midfielders and Wes who slows the game down we will struggle.

And before we get the usual attack from the board bregade I would love to know how many goals we have scored with Wes on the pitch and how many after we are chasing the game and change it up to quick counter.

[quote user="Indy"]While Adams persists on playing two holdong midfielders and Wes who slows the game down we will struggle. And before we get the usual attack from the board bregade I would love to know how many goals we have scored with Wes on the pitch and how many after we are chasing the game and change it up to quick counter.[/quote]

agree in Part Indy, there are "wes games" the type of match where he will influence, probe and win games on his own...

Saturday was not a Wes Hoolahan type game...  the way Fulham set out it was obvious he was going to be ineffective. we need a 2 fotted player in that role for these games... Wes needs to be a bit part player now.

We are "struggling for goals" in two senses. One is comparatively with earlier in the season and the other is in terms of our chance conversion percentage. We really should be scoring lots more goals than we are with the amount of chances we create and the amount of possession we have.

In any event 3rd in this league is not good enough, especially with the position we had got ourselves into a month or so ago. Whether its on goals scored, goals conceded or league position I do not think 3rd is good enough for us this season. I don''t think we have any divine right to finish higher but from what i''ve seen this season there are very few quality teams in this league (derby for example always look bang average every time I see them) and we really should already have got our noses well out in front.

Well it depends on the type of game. It appears in some particular games and indeed in first halves, we struggle to get a hold of games and put our assertion to good use.

It''s all very well playing the pretty stuff to get a third goal in a 3-0 win but we need to be getting to 1-0 or 2-1 or 3-2 more often than we are if we''re to achieve our goal (top 2).

What are Watford and/or Derby''s conversion rates? It seems to me as the season goes on that we need more and more chances in order to get a goal, which is frustrating as the recent games have proved.

We''re not struggling for goals when you look at the bigger picture, but in individual games we have been unlucky in some and wasteful in others. If we had been more clinical with our chances our goals-for tally would be incredible.

Wee have been found out last 4 games only 1 goal

Decline set in - teams know how to play us

RS Please explain what is the bigger picture - have not seen it over the last 6 hours of football

[quote user="Rufus Smalls"] If we had been more clinical with our chances our goals-for tally would be incredible.[/quote]

You can apply that to all of football though.. "if only we''d scored 1 more goal this season, We''d have won the league!!" "if only we hadn''t drawn the opening game 0-0 we''d have stayed up!"

Football is littered with If''s, Buts and Maybes''.. cold hard facts of the moment are showing in the league table at present and will continue to do so.