Sign in to follow this  
whistleblower

Josh Murphy - not ready to start games

I just dont understand the hype over Murphy.  Quite simply in any game where we have been drawing or losing (except Watford away last year in cup) he has produced precisely NOTHING to our advantage. So he''s fast - so what if theres no delivery, he loses the ball constantly in great positions.  He''s a kid playing in a man''s game and now been sussed out. it surely says a lot that his patron/mentor/kissasser Adams took him off because he was having a shocker - that must have been one hell of tricky one for Adams.  Oh  - i forgot hes very lazy as well.  Drop him now.

No Adams took him off because he was injured!! He was far better than redmond so how can you say he offered nothing

Not a great performance but it''s nice to see a talented youth player finally getting a chance in the first team. I''d suggest you watch replays of his goals against Crawley and Blackpool before writing him off just yet.

He was poor and particularly so when he played from the right.

Struggled to go past his fullback, struggled to get any quality in the box and often gave the ball away.

For anyone to say he was better than Redmond is way, way off the mark. And Redmond wasn''t that great tonight.

Started well but then put a few passes astray and dallied on the ball too long. A decent performance but not yet a starter IMO.

He''s not being written off in the slightest. Marvellous lttle player.I am, though, with the OP. He''s best used as impact atm. We have the experienced heads of Johnson and (better for me O.Neill) to get the game under control from the start.Also  it makes little sense to me that Murphy starts whilst the £4m VOO cannot get establshed from the starting position.Murphy, and a few others, are very good. I would be unsure about using them front line in what will hopefully be a promotion campaign in preference to more experienced players.

Don''t agree with any of the comments suggesting he had a good game, and many of those came on Canary Call last night.  It looked to me like he was overawed by the occasion last night, failed to control the ball very well, couldn''t beat his man, and gave the ball away when we had the chance to break.  Not forgetting his wayward cross field ball in the first half that almost cost us a goal.I have a feeling if he hadn''t come through the academy people would be a lot more damning of his performance.

That may be true but you tend to get a sense from people around you, ignoring those that have no idea what football is about.....and the vibe last night around me was negativity towards to Redmond not Murphy, maybe that as you say is because he is from the academy.

From my point, I thought he did ok and gave us more of a threat than Redmond did, but then that''s just my opinion. Lafferty was much more dangerous when he went out on to the wing though.

We have to remember that this was his first league start and against a tough side, the fullbacks from Leeds played well last night, particularly Byram (who I''d quite like here!!!)

RTTB,

Funny ol'' game, I though the same as you, whilst he didn''t set the world alight he used the ball to more effect than Redmiond, imo.

Personally I think Josh has a brighter future, insomuch Nathan has had far more 1st team football yet still has a great deal to learn/improve, whilst I think given 8 - 10 games we would see Josh come on leaps and bounds. Would love to see them both take a step round the learning curve though, it would make us very dangerous.

Redmond performed better than Murphy in my opinion. Redmond got an assist and set up Russell Martin for the goal. How many goals did Murphy set up last night? None - nothing - zero...

Also according to statistics. Redmond has got 3 assists this season. Murphy has only got 1 assist. Hoolahan and Redmond have both got 3 assists. So Redmond and Hoolahan statistically are our most creative midfielders.

[quote user="Craig Brown"]Also according to statistics. Redmond has got 3 assists this season. Murphy has only got 1 assist. Hoolahan and Redmond have both got 3 assists. So Redmond and Hoolahan statistically are our most creative midfielders.[/quote]

Murphy has a goal. Redmond has none. That wins

CB,

Murphy - 219 minutes, 1 goal and 1 assist

Redmond - 1119 minutes, 0 goals and 3 assists

Hoolahan - 901 minutes, 1 goal and 3 assists

Therefore if Josh Murphy had played 1119 minutes his stats would/could be;

5 Goals and 5 assists (depending on lies damn lies, etc.)

Pays your money and takes your choice I guess.

Having been vocal in wanting Murphy to start I was dissapointed in how both Redmond & Murphy were alomst scared to take the full backs on!

Was expecting more from both.

That said was it instructions to make sure they were not caught out too high up the pitch.

On last night Murphy was no worse than Redmond and desrves more game time, from the start I''m not sure.