Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Scouting thoughts...

I like the way that Adams tries to play 2 wingers to get crosses into the box but you also need a central midfielder making late runs into the box to create space for others and get onto some knock-downs to score goals. BJ is good at doing that but his passing in general isn''t. The wingers also need to be contributing goals.I think Adams could try this as an alternative:                 Jerome   Lafferty  Vadis  Grabban          O''Neil     Tettey Olsson Cuellar Turner Whittaker                  Ruddy Both Lafftery & Grabban are suited to playing from wider positions and dropping deeper than a traditional striker. Going forwards becomes more like a front 3.I would put Turner back into his better position as the right central defender. This also gives better protection with him stepping across to cover right-back. Who to play next to him is a bit of a lottery but I would try Cuellar for his experience. I think this way of playing could give lead to more goals scored and make the team stronger defensively.

The thing is, that team has Grabban on the right (or wide), has Lafferty on the left who can''t play in 4231 because there''s not enough cover behind him so he becomes a liability as we''ve seen in all the games he''s played except the first one - perhaps vladis could also drop into the midfield to we have 3 in the middle but then we haven''t got anyone who runs in-between the lines. O''Neil instead of Howson or BJ? As Martin isn''t in that team I guess you''ve prioritised Whittaker at RB over Martin which I know is your suggestion but just my opinion, why? I don''t think I can think of a slower defensive partnership in the championship than Turner and Cuellar, perhaps Gary Doherty and Michael Nelson? Although Hooiveld is slow and not that great, at least he can pass. I know everyone has different opinions but personally I really don''t get the logic to that team, other than playing 1 upfront which I think is a great idea for a team like ours where we have fantastic midfield players and are leaky in defence.

When not in possession of the ball it would be more like a midfield 5. When in possession it would be more like a front 3 plus either Vadis (or Wes) going forwards centrally in support. Tettey & O''Neil staying deep as cover. That suits the players available.O''Neil seems better at keeping the ball than BJ and better at protecting the defence than Howson.The main problem is who to play as the left-sided central defender. I don''t think switching Turner to his weaker side and having Martin on the right is a great solution. I would rather Turner played in his best position on the right and either Hooiveld, Miquel or Cuellar on the left. I wouldn''t be surprised if a new player was signed in that position once the transfer window reopens.

[quote user="iron_stan"]whittaker ahead of martin ? really ? hes direwhen fit id still play olsson, turner, bennett, martin[/quote]I don''t think any of the defenders are all that great so it is a much of a muchness.

Tom, you lost me at "to get crosses into the box", my solution would be to encourage our wingers to get to the byline and cross every now and then rather than constantly cutting inside and crossing towards the keeper/defenders giving the keep catching practice and the defenders heading practice, football is a simple game complicated by idiots..........