Sign in to follow this  
Holtcantshoot

Odjidja-Ofoe / Grabban front line for Wednesday (well Saturday...you know what I mean)

From what I saw of Odjidja on Tuesday night he looked to have good vision and the ability to pick out a pass. When we had Grabban as a lone striker he was able to make clever runs to create space and chances for himself in the oppositions half. I''d be inclined to start with those two up top and use Jerome and Hooper as impact subs later on if needed.At the moment we don''t seem to be quite creative enough with Jerome leading the line for whatever reason that may be.

It seems our main strikers can''t play together effectively and I don''t know why Adams hasn''t gone back to what got us all the wins; playing a lone striker. We''re best in midfield, so lets use them, which is good because we can then not only dominate play but create from midfield. Grabban was on fire when playing up on his own.

Totally agree that the team needs to go back to what was giving us wins. Although 2 up top can look better on paper, with the quality we have in midfield it does seem strange we''ve stuck with playing 2 strikers but I guess we need goals and strikers should give you them.

I''d like to see more of VOO though, seems a bit odd that he''s not had more game time. Maybe we could field a 5 man midfield containing Tettey as the anchor with Howson and VOO central with Redmond wide right and Murphy left.

Although I''m not sure Murphy is ready to be more than an impact sub at present, with Pilks sold we don''t really have another left sided winger unless E Benno makes an appearance!

I would argue that Grabban was EVER "on fire " , maybe you should take a look at the goals again Miggins ?

Even when he was scoring , he looked short of confidence maybe ? Compare his goals to those of Jerome ,, quite different .

I would give one up front a try using Jerome , lately only Hooper looked like he could help join the front line and midfield ( in a cameo again) , and as we have lost Hoolahan for a while ,, maybe it''s now the time for a bigger change around of the starting 11 ?

As I have said before Murphy ,, along with others are only good enough as impact subs at this point .

Was it not the extra pace and movement of Grabban that created the chances and the goals?

Yes, Jerome has played well enough, but does his style suit the rest of he team?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Was it not the extra pace and movement of Grabban that created the chances and the goals?

Yes, Jerome has played well enough, but does his style suit the rest of he team?[/quote]Jerome has not been a prolific goal scorer in his career, so although he has six this season, it is not a surprise that he has gone a few games without scoring.   He actually averages over the course of his career 1 in 5 matches.  Grabban on his own looked better, having more freedom of movement.   With Ofoe offerting a goal threat from midfield, which Wes didn''t, we could well be better to return to one striker up front and simply overun defences as we did earlier in the season, with the added goal threat from midfield.  My fear is that Jerome is seen as the main man, but Grabban is likely to get more goals over the course of a season than Jerome is imo.  

The Grabban/Jerome situation is a tricky one.

Jerome is a better finisher but does not stretch the opposition defence as much when he plays as the lone striker.

Grabban is wasteful and can be frustrating but his movement and runs in behind the defence I think give them a bit more to think about and despite him missing a few we were getting wins when he played up there and he was scrambling goals.

I can therefore see the rationale for giving Grabban a go again and bring Jerome off the bench for impact if needed. What i definitely agree with is we should use our strength in midfield and I would like to see a midfield trio of Vadis, Tettey and Howson. I think that trio will dominate the centre of the pitch at this level and has a good mix of playing styles. Play them and the Redmond and Bennett/Murphy on the wings for some pace on the counter.

Certainly looks like our best option for Saturday, I''d feel a lot lot happier with what looks like three midfielders. Two wingers has left us horribly exposed at times.

I would also return to the 4-2-3-1 and from what has been said would go with:

Ruddy

Martin Turner Hooiveld Olsson

Howson Tettey

Redmond Odjidja-Ofoe Lafferty

Grabban

That has threats from many places and the extra movement of Grabban would put us back to where we were before the changes.

The problem is that Jerome has not played badly, in fact he has been quite good, but I feel we would benefit from the extra mobility and pace.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I would also return to the 4-2-3-1 and from what has been said would go with: Ruddy Martin Turner Hooiveld Olsson Howson Tettey Redmond Odjidja-Ofoe Lafferty Grabban That has threats from many places and the extra movement of Grabban would put us back to where we were before the changes. The problem is that Jerome has not played badly, in fact he has been quite good, but I feel we would benefit from the extra mobility and pace.[/quote]

A bigger problem is Lafferty is banned (5 yellow cards)[:D]

So Murphy or E. Bennet

The Butler wrote the following post at 24/10/2014 10:11 AM:

Yellow Wall wrote:

I would also return to the 4-2-3-1 and from what has been said would go with: Ruddy Martin Turner Hooiveld Olsson Howson Tettey Redmond Odjidja-Ofoe Lafferty Grabban That has threats from many places and the extra movement of Grabban would put us back to where we were before the changes. The problem is that Jerome has not played badly, in fact he has been quite good, but I feel we would benefit from the extra mobility and pace.

A bigger problem is Lafferty is banned (5 yellow cards)Big Smile [:D]

So Murphy or E. Bennet

Good point!

I would therefore bring in Murphy for Lafferty.

Ofoe, & Grabban up top on his own is a good option for me.

I would Stick Jerome on the bench and as said here go with 5 in midfield.

I would start with Tettey & Johnson as holding and the three attacking midfielders in Ofoe, Redmond & Howson with Grabban up top.

I would also like to see Martin on the left with Miquel starting with Turner.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]  The problem is that Jerome has not played badly, in fact he has been quite good,  [/quote]

He hasn''t been playing that well.

Apart from poke in a goal against Rotherham what has he really done since the Blackpool game?

I don''t think he''s been doing much and his poor hold up play costs us possession.

why do we need to play the strikers on the wing? Lafferty and Grabban are not wingers.

we should nto simply try to accomodate them in the team to get them games/hope they can do sometyhing/make them happy. if both are on the bench and Murphy/Bennett/redmond are starting ahead of them so be it.. I''d even sooner punt Olsson at left wing with Garrido behind.

Lafferty can play on the wing, definitely. At this moment I''d rather see him out there than Murphy.

Barclay seats 48/49 the 3rd wrote the following post at 24/10/2014 8:04 AM:

maybe you should take a look at the goals again Miggins ?

------------------------

Why? To me he looked like he got himself in the right places at the right time, the perfect poacher. Look at his goal against ipswich, was that lucky? No, he got himself in a good position for when the ball came back in the box.

Lafferty on the wing isn''t a problem for me. Offer more overall than Murphy, particularly on the defensive workrate side.

I''d start Grabban up front. His movement normally creates space. It''s making sure the space gets exploited.

As for Ollsson playing left mid - i think he''s quite lucky not to have been dropped for Garrido. Relatively poor in my opinion.

I can''t agree with Olsson being relatively poor.  Admittedly I only see home games, but the Charlton, Rotherham and Leeds goals all came from mistakes in right midfield, centre half or right back.  For me it boils down to a right back playing at centre half and his replacement being caught out of position far too often.

[quote user="Woodman"]I can''t agree with Olsson being relatively poor.  . [/quote]

In my opinion it''s more to do with him not producing enough quality going forward.