Sign in to follow this  
pete

Bassong comments

Already thinks he''s a Watford player he must be recalled soonest.

http://www.watfordfc.com/news/article/141022-bassong-post-forest-2032018.aspx?

Not if the problem can be resolved once he comes back. Him and Turner in this league would be immense, a big weakness we have atm is CB. Yeah sure we could get £800,000 for him, but it would be worth it much more if we could play him regularly once he is fit to play in our team and help us achieve promotion.

btw have you seen the size of him on watford''s youtube channel, he''s huge.

I had a bigger sum (2-3 m) on my mind. I doubt Bassong would be too keen to return, but I guess a lot will depend on the respective league positions of the two clubs in January.

[quote user="City1st"]I should imagine that he has already been sold

[/quote]

agreed. clubs do "deals" outside the transfer window. once january gets here its just dotting I''s and Crossing T''s

If he does well there and we agree to sell him to them in January whilst they are still one of our main rivals then Mcnally and Adams will have lost the plot even more than I fear they did when agreeing to this utterly ridiculous loan in the first place.

Whether he ever plays again for us will certainly depend on who our manager is at the time he returns, if its NA then no chance I feel. Yes, Jim Smith, this loan is ridiculous and a major own goal...........still few will disagree which is a shame because its a glaring error.

Maybe Hooper to Forest next....

Bassong was being slated by the fans towards the end of last season and he has a reputation for starting well for clubs and then going off the boil.

A good player for us overall I''d say yes but there are plenty out there who could replace him if needed (I''d rather of kept Ayala) and I believe statistically that Bennett and Turner are best 2 centre half''s when played together.

Had RB not been injured I doubt if anybody would of cared where SB went.

Talking to a few Leicester City fans Miguel was excellent for them last season and they would of liked him back maybe worth a run?

I''d probably back Adams if I knew what I was backing him about. I suppose there''s even a chance I''d back Bassong if I knew what I was backing him about. But as it is I know ''Jack'' so I''m relieved I don''t have to take sides.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

agreed. clubs do "deals" outside the transfer window. once january gets here its just dotting I''s and Crossing T''s

[/quote]preciselyfor a reason as yet unknown Bassong was no longer wanted at CRif that is the case, are the board wrong to get the best deal, financially, for him ?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Why wouldn''t they just be honest about it though? If they told us they''d done a deal to sell him in January I''d be happier than hearing Adams say the door is open for one of my favourite players to rejoin the team only to see it slammed in his face 24 hours later and him shipped out to a promotion contender.As far as I''m aware there is no illegality in agreeing a forward sale of

a player on the understanding that the sale cannot be completed until

the transfer window reopens.If the club thinks the way to keep fans loyal is by being secretive and lying to us then they''re as stupid as Neil Adams looks as he stubbornly declares other teams haven''t "figured us out" whilst furrowing his brow in a vain attempt to understand what''s going on.

Why the silly accusation about "lying to us" ?The club hasn''t lied to you or anyone else.We don''t know the terms of the loan, or whether it is after all a sale in all but nameWatford may have requested that all terms remain confidential, they may have provisionally agreed a sale conditional to how well Bassong fares - so why not accept that we don''t know rather than over exciting yourself and squeaking out the rubbish that you posted

Several things.First of all, if Bassong was one of the players who said he wasn''t bothered about playing for us again then I don''t care who we sell him to - best to get a return on an investment rather than to try and take revenge by dumping him in with the kids, which wouldn''t be good either, for the kids, him or us.Better to put him out there and see if we can get a decent offer for him and some of his wages paid.If we have agreed something in advance, it will likely be a deal in ''principle'' -  a bit like the RVW loan.Bassong in his first season was immense for us. Last season he struggled to repeat the efforts of the first season for whatever reason. If he is not motivated to play for us - you have to ask why he is motivated to play for Watford.But it really all boils down to does he want to play for us? Is he ''good'' for us?Those questions can only be answered by those that are in charge of the players. That said, Neil Adams seems a straight up sort of chap and I very much doubt he would close the door on anyone. Like any manager he has to decide what mix of players is right for the squad. Which players suit his approach and style of football.

[quote user="bristolcanary"]I back adams on this one and yes he will be manager in January. I think that its a bit disingenuous to start undermining him at this early stage.[/quote]

I back Adams in terms of getting tough with Basson if he behaved how we are led to believe. I also have no objection in principle to him going out on loan (although I would have preferred it if there had been able to be clear the air talks and he could have got involved again for us) but the point is he should never in a million years have been allowed to go there. Watford''s weakest area was central defence and they had an injury crisis. Not only have we helped them plug that crisis but we have actually loaned them a player who would improve even their full strength team and you could argue is the best centre back in this division if on song.

I''m sure we will be told its all about the finances but I don;t care - its idiotic and if Watford continue their good run and end up going up at our expense then frankly whoever sanctioned it should resign.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]  A good player for us overall I''d say yes but there are plenty out there who could replace him if needed (I''d rather of kept Ayala) and I believe statistically that Bennett and Turner are best 2 centre half''s when played together. Had RB not been injured I doubt if anybody would of cared where SB went.  [/quote]

Think it''s quite clear that Bassong has got more ability than any of those.

Turner is a great "in the trenches" defender. But overall ability Bassong was the best CB we''ve had here in years and years.

And the partnership of Turner and Bassong was the best we had had for a long time.

If the rumours are to be believed Bassong''s ''crime'' was to be understandably upset at Hoofton leaving and subsequently not to have been aware of Adams'' footballing career. The end result is Adams blowing his top and causing our best defender to leave in a huff.It does make me wonder about Adams'' man management ability where we''ve had more than a few who have either been desperate to leave or seem not to be bothering.

[quote user="1touch"]If the rumours are to be believed Bassong''s ''crime'' was to be understandably upset at Hoofton leaving and subsequently not to have been aware of Adams'' footballing career. The end result is Adams blowing his top and causing our best defender to leave in a huff.

It does make me wonder about Adams'' man management ability where we''ve had more than a few who have either been desperate to leave or seem not to be bothering.
[/quote]

and yet bassong spent most of last season with his Thumb up his backside going through the motions...

Perhaps Adam''s wants him to do some work rather than just walk through games and "wish the season was over" like Nice Guy Hoots did.

[quote user="1touch"]If the rumours are to be believed Bassong''s ''crime'' was to be understandably upset at Hoofton leaving and subsequently not to have been aware of Adams'' footballing career. The end result is Adams blowing his top and causing our best defender to leave in a huff.It does make me wonder about Adams'' man management ability where we''ve had more than a few who have either been desperate to leave or seem not to be bothering.[/quote]

It was a bit more than just "not being aware of Adam''s football career" and based on what i''ve been told he needed to be brought into line.

I do however take your point about a good man manager finding a way through these situations though and one would hope that both men could have set aside their differences after the initial clashes. Perhaps that was not possible in this case but i still will not accept any rationale for loaning him to a direct promotion rival.

Am I right in saying the rumour was that he said ''are we supposed to know who you are'' in front of all the players when Adams'' appointment was announced?  If that''s the case, as the new manager, I''d have expected him to be disciplined and then told to fight for his place alongside all the other players.  I doubt the club will ever confirm or deny this, but the fact he''s never featured in an Adams team suggested something''s not right with one party or the other.

Loaning him to a team challenging at the top of the league does appear odd, but maybe just getting him out of the club was the prime reason and Watford were the only club willing to take him or willing to pay what he demanded.

I prefer to see it as like removing a splinter.    Get it out and the irritation goes away.   Bassong for whatever reason has fallen foul of the heirachy here, so better out than in.   As for going to Watford, it makes little odds. What matters is the results we have, not what other clubs do. Win enough of our own matches and we''ll go up, regardless of what Watford do.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I prefer to see it as like removing a splinter.    Get it out and the irritation goes away.   Bassong for whatever reason has fallen foul of the heirachy here, so better out than in.   As for going to Watford, it makes little odds. What matters is the results we have, not what other clubs do. Win enough of our own matches and we''ll go up, regardless of what Watford do.

[/quote]

Since Watford are above us in the league (as are 4 other teams) that''s not correct though is it Lakey. It''s also a little idealistic. The reality is that if Bassong helps Watford to remain in the top two then there is a good chance it will be to our detriment. A chance we did not need to take.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="lake district canary"]I prefer to see it as like removing a splinter.    Get it out and the irritation goes away.   Bassong for whatever reason has fallen foul of the heirachy here, so better out than in.   As for going to Watford, it makes little odds. What matters is the results we have, not what other clubs do. Win enough of our own matches and we''ll go up, regardless of what Watford do.

[/quote]

Since Watford are above us in the league (as are 4 other teams) that''s not correct though is it Lakey. It''s also a little idealistic. The reality is that if Bassong helps Watford to remain in the top two then there is a good chance it will be to our detriment. A chance we did not need to take.[/quote]

Have we dropped points because of Watford or because of our own poor results?   If we had won some games we should have done on the balance of play, we would be well above them.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I prefer to see it as like removing a splinter.    Get it out and the irritation goes away.   Bassong for whatever reason has fallen foul of the heirachy here, so better out than in.   As for going to Watford, it makes little odds. What matters is the results we have, not what other clubs do. Win enough of our own matches and we''ll go up, regardless of what Watford do.

[/quote]It''s quite simple. You do not help out a rival by loaning them a good player.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="lake district canary"]I prefer to see it as like removing a splinter.    Get it out and the irritation goes away.   Bassong for whatever reason has fallen foul of the heirachy here, so better out than in.   As for going to Watford, it makes little odds. What matters is the results we have, not what other clubs do. Win enough of our own matches and we''ll go up, regardless of what Watford do.

[/quote]It''s quite simple. You do not help out a rival by loaning them a good player. [/quote]

I understand that, but being below Watford in the table is because we couldn''t beat Rotherham, Charlton or Leeds, not because Bassong has gone to Watford.  If Watfiord do too well, we can simply not renew his loan to them in January, in the mean time he has improved his fitness, confidence and saleability.  Nothing to get worked up about.   If they are top in January at our expense and his loan there is extended or he is sold to Watford, then I would question that, but atm the main thing we need to worry about is our own results.  Watfird are just another team.

No, we are below them because of their last 2 results as well. It is conceivable that without Bassong, Watford might not have won at Sheff Wed or got a point against Forest. We don''t actually know how they would have done without him, but why take the risk that they will win points that they might not have got without him?

I''m pretty sure that we aren''t so skint that we simply needed him off the wagebill, so I just can''t understand the logic in loaning him to a promotion rival. I said this when the loan was first rumoured and I still think it''s stupid now.