Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Strange team selection today

Howson, Tettey, Johnson and Vadis all start. No Redmond. Can''t work out the formation. Could be 3 at the back with wing backs. If not then looks very solid but lacking width/pace.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Howson, Tettey, Johnson and Vadis all start. No Redmond. Can''t work out the formation. Could be 3 at the back with wing backs. If not then looks very solid but lacking width/pace.[/quote]Who would be the third centre back? If Whittaker and Olsson were the wing-backs, would Tettey drop back into CB? I think the most logical explanation is a back four with Tettey, Johnson and Howson trying to win the midfield battle, with Vadis floating just behind the front two - or Grabban right and Vadis left of a 4-5-1. Either way, I think it''ll revolve around three central midfielders, with Tettey holding and Johnson and Howson bombing on. If we get ahead then Johnson would sit deeper alongside Tettey to play a more counter-attacking, 4-2-3-1. Thoughts?

Although I''m a bit nervous about the personnel, I think what neyul is doing is forcing us to play through the opposition as we weren''t successful in this in the last game. I don''t know why we would play BJ and Tettey in a diamond as well as persist with Jerome and Grabban who don''t work/link up well with each other. However, this is a big game for Adams and we need to get back to winning ways, hopefully neyul''s got it right today and things finally come together with playing 2 up top.

[quote user="Barclay seats 48 49 the 3rd"]Where is the line up ? Who are the subs ?[/quote]Ruddy; Whittaker, Martin, Turner, Olsson; Tettey, Johnson, Howson, VOO; Grabban, Jerome.Subs: Rudd, Miquel, Hooiveld, O''Neil, Josh Murphy, Redmond, Hooper.

Beyond me why there''s 2 CBs on the bench and Martin gets put at centre back. Needs to go to RB Whittaker to go on the bench.

Seriously set up for a 0-0 in my opinion

[quote user="alartz"]Beyond me why there''s 2 CBs on the bench and Martin gets put at centre back. Needs to go to RB Whittaker to go on the bench.

Seriously set up for a 0-0 in my opinion[/quote]After our failure to score recently there''s no way he''ll play for a 0-0, we need goals and a victory to get our season back on track. Totally agree about the Whittaker/Martin scenario though.

Biggest pitch in the championship which is heaven for free running wingers and he drops both, struggling to see the positives here.

Good to see Johnson back in.....

loads of folk crying out for a plan b saying attacking down the wings wasn''t working. So there you have it. It could be Neil has identified this as a way of exploiting g Wednesday, we shall see. Pleased to see vadis playing and what a plan b (or plan a) we have on the bench!

Having thought about it must be the diamond formation. could work although as someone has alluded to above its a nice wide pitch at Hillsborough so I hope we don;t get caught out down the flanks.

Lets hope Vadis lives up to his billing and can help kick start our season again.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Good to see Johnson back in.....

[/quote]

sorry nigel - he was woeful again today

and I hope we never see a 4 man midfield with 4 cms lacking pace again - the starting 4 had a grand total of 5 assists over 2.5 seasons - between them; no surprise we had no cutting edge

He wasn''t alone. As far as I could make out the biggest contribution was made by O''Neil. Or perhaps Sheffield Wednesday were tired by then. But if you want to use the word woeful for Johnson then you''ll have to find a worse description for Howson and Vadis who were even less effective.

You can pick whatever team or formation you want, if the team isn''t coached to play football then we''re going to go nowhere. The days when you could hoof and bully your way to promotion are long gone, and this division is much more sophisticated than when Adams played in it.What''s worrying is that we resorted to kick and rush for the majority of the game despite it being a relatively open contest. We hoofed it because we lacked the collective ability to circulate the ball, not because our players lacked individual ability.